shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling WF Butterflies Owners Present & Past

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m considering Whiteflash’s Butterflies ring as a potential 3-stone setting, and while I feel like I’ve seen a hundred pictures and probably the same number of threads related to this setting in my research, I’m not finding answers to a few questions I have as I weigh my options.

I’ve noted plenty of comments about wearing a band with it, diamond height, cast vs. hand-forging, etc. Specifically, I’m curious if those who have worn/owned it might opine about how durable and/or delicate you find it to be? It appears by design to strike a fine balance in that department, but I’m curious how it actually feels/wears in that regard. Do you feel the need to ‘baby’ it at all? Only wear it out/about or round the clock (except during obvious activities you’d remove it)? I’m also curious if you find yourself catching things with the side diamonds’ single outer prong. And any other ‘wearability’ observations you might share are most welcome and appreciated!

I’m tagging the design’s originator - @yssie (beautiful, GORGEOUS work :clap:) - as well @Rosebloom & @Siamese Kitty who are a few names which have come up in my searches as current/former owners who appear to still be active on PS. I’m sure I’m missing others; my apologies and please feel free to tag them if you happen to know.

Thanks much, in advance, for sharing your observations! :wavey:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey: @the_mother_thing!

I do have thoughts but am running around today - I’ll come back to this thread in the evening!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much @yssie I look forward to your thoughts!

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
I’m considering Whiteflash’s Butterflies ring as a potential 3-stone setting, and while I feel like I’ve seen a hundred pictures and probably the same number of threads related to this setting in my research, I’m not finding answers to a few questions I have as I weigh my options.

I’ve noted plenty of comments about wearing a band with it, diamond height, cast vs. hand-forging, etc. Specifically, I’m curious if those who have worn/owned it might opine about how durable and/or delicate you find it to be? It appears by design to strike a fine balance in that department, but I’m curious how it actually feels/wears in that regard. Do you feel the need to ‘baby’ it at all? Only wear it out/about or round the clock (except during obvious activities you’d remove it)? I’m also curious if you find yourself catching things with the side diamonds’ single outer prong. And any other ‘wearability’ observations you might share are most welcome and appreciated!

I’m tagging the design’s originator - @yssie (beautiful, GORGEOUS work :clap:) - as well @Rosebloom & @Siamese Kitty who are a few names which have come up in my searches as current/former owners who appear to still be active on PS. I’m sure I’m missing others; my apologies and please feel free to tag them if you happen to know.

Thanks much, in advance, for sharing your observations! :wavey:

Hi @the_mother_thing !

Yes, I have this ring and have had it around two years. I still miss my original solitaire at times, but I LOVE this ring. I fell in love with it when @yssie first designed it and stuck in my mind all of these years. I just worried about the versatility vs a solitaire. (which it turns out this ring is very versatile)

WF is absolutely wonderful to work with. Liza sent me photos of different sized side stones and I think I really nailed the proportions I wanted. I am really thankful I went with a ruthenium alloy. My Tiffany wedding band has probably held up a *bit* better with regard to resisting scratching, but I think my Butterflies ring has been better than average. Right now, it probably hasn't been polished in about a year and it feels a bit rougher all over, but I honestly have begun to wear it more around the clock since I'm used to it. I am clumsy and have not babied it and I am pleased thus far with the durability.

When I first got it, I was a little disappointed WF didn't polish the inside/underside of the ring more, and I wished I had insisted on that more. My appraiser said he thought it was still a very well made ring and that that was not uncommon to see. He was a little apprehensive about three prongs on the side, but just encouraged me to be vigilant and have prongs checked every so often, which I would do anyway for any ring. He thought it would have heirloom longevity overall, though.

By comparison, within a similar length of time to how long I've had this ring, my former Scott Kay pave palladium ring with a .9 ct diamond from my last marriage had already had the diamond clear knocked out of it one time and the stone almost falling out it another time by now. Strangely, never lost a single pave diamond out of that ring, though.

Seriously knock on wood for all!!!

Overall, the ring is very comfortable to me. I am someone who loves to feel the weight of platinum, but it needs to be comfortable with my lifestyle. It meets those needs.

While I am sure WF could make one, I never stop marveling about how well my Tiffany 2mm band works with this ring. It's pretty much a perfect match. I am somewhat OCD and this makes me happy on the daily.

WF did a great job on my claw prongs. Once it a while they catch a bit, but it's rare. They are well-made, perfectly placed, and non-intrusive.

I hope this helps and good luck!
SK

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
So I don't have this particular setting, but I did just transition from wearing a bezeled solitaire to wearing a prong-set three-stone ring (which is similar to the transition you are thinking about), and it is a very different wearing experience for me.

I find myself feeling more protective of the three stone ring and I notice it bumping on things more often -- 16mm horizontal spread of projecting crowns vs 8mm spread for the solitaire means more surface area to bump. I also worry more about catching or bumping prongs, which may or may not be a thing I need to be worried about, but there you go. I definitely "baby" this ring. With my previous bezel set solitaire, I would wear it pretty much all the time and I would only take it off the sleep/bathe. With this ring, I take it off the moment I am home and I don't wear it when I am out and about with kids on the weekend. So I only really wear it when I am doing "grown up" things, like going to work or a date. This is partly because I feel protective of the ring and partly because I feel inhibited to, like, reach into a purse or do messy things with my hands or tuck my hands under my thighs when I'm watching TV (I do think surprisingly often) when I am wearing it.

On the plus side it is an absolute sparkle monster -- double the diamond surface area = :love: I also like seeing so much of the diamonds in the prong setting. And I prefer my diamond's performance in this open setting. There is more scintillation and less contrast. So there are plusses and minuses to this kind of setting compared to a solitaire bezel. But "wearability" ain't one!

This is my ring (no thread yet, I haven't gotten around to taking pictures). 8mm center with 4.3mm sides. I think that's what you are planning too?

dreamer7.jpg
dreamer6.jpg
dreamer1.jpg

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi @the_mother_thing !

Yes, I have this ring and have had it around two years. I still miss my original solitaire at times, but I LOVE this ring. I fell in love with it when @yssie first designed it and stuck in my mind all of these years. I just worried about the versatility vs a solitaire. (which it turns out this ring is very versatile)

WF is absolutely wonderful to work with. Liza sent me photos of different sized side stones and I think I really nailed the proportions I wanted. I am really thankful I went with a ruthenium alloy. My Tiffany wedding band has probably held up a *bit* better with regard to resisting scratching, but I think my Butterflies ring has been better than average. Right now, it probably hasn't been polished in about a year and it feels a bit rougher all over, but I honestly have begun to wear it more around the clock since I'm used to it. I am clumsy and have not babied it and I am pleased thus far with the durability.

When I first got it, I was a little disappointed WF didn't polish the inside/underside of the ring more, and I wished I had insisted on that more. My appraiser said he thought it was still a very well made ring and that that was not uncommon to see. He was a little apprehensive about three prongs on the side, but just encouraged me to be vigilant and have prongs checked every so often, which I would do anyway for any ring. He thought it would have heirloom longevity overall, though.

By comparison, within a similar length of time to how long I've had this ring, my former Scott Kay pave palladium ring with a .9 ct diamond from my last marriage had already had the diamond clear knocked out of it one time and the stone almost falling out it another time by now. Strangely, never lost a single pave diamond out of that ring, though.

Seriously knock on wood for all!!!

Overall, the ring is very comfortable to me. I am someone who loves to feel the weight of platinum, but it needs to be comfortable with my lifestyle. It meets those needs.

While I am sure WF could make one, I never stop marveling about how well my Tiffany 2mm band works with this ring. It's pretty much a perfect match. I am somewhat OCD and this makes me happy on the daily.

WF did a great job on my claw prongs. Once it a while they catch a bit, but it's rare. They are well-made, perfectly placed, and non-intrusive.

I hope this helps and good luck!
SK

Pictures, please?! :kiss2: I’d love to see it, and I’d also love to see it with the Tiffany band!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Finally got a few free hours!

I loved this setting :kiss2: and I’m planning to send WF some CSs for iteration (3) of personal ownership soon :mrgreen2:

I didn’t baby it at all. But I’m apparently really easy on rings, so that may not mean much! @Siamese Kitty I wasn’t thrilled with the polish on the underside of mine either, originally - I sent it back to WF for a spa treatment and they were able to get in underneath a bit more. Maybe something worth asking WF about if it still bothers you? They won’t be able to polish the underside completely, as it’s cast as a single piece and Leon explained once that the tools aren’t quite small enough to get into all the nooks and crannies, but I felt what they did for mine made a huge difference :cool2:

This setting is IMO like most trellises in that it’s definitely not super low profile and it definitely doesn’t pander to a “bigger is better” mentality the way solitaires do (to those inclined to feel that way :mrgreen2:). I personally like seeing a little skin on the sides of the “head” of a ring - I prefer that center and sides not be so wide that they span the width of the finger... which can be challenging given the angle the row of stones will subtend! I posted about the “tulip bulb head” that I like to see in one of dreamer’s old thread years and years ago:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/yssie-i-have-some-questions-for-you.161362/

Things I will change when I have my next Butterflies made...
1. Request extra polish of undersides up front
2. Make the shank wider palm-side to highlight the taper up the shoulders
3. Tuck and angle the sidestones as much as possible

I had something else. It escapes me. I’ll probably remember in the shower tonight :mrgreen2:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry I’m delinquent getting back to this thread; been a busy week with long/late work days.

@Siamese Kitty & @yssie Thank you both so much for sharing your first-hand observations and experience with this setting. It really helps to read/hear others’ input and considerations given you’ve been ‘living’ with this setting for some time now. I’ll keep the items you both noted in mind as I continue to consider this option. It’s good to read that it appears to be more ‘durable’ than it’s semi-delicate appearance suggests in pictures.

@dreamer_dachsie I appreciate your sharing your new ring as well! It’s stunning, and having another example of similar-sized stones/proportions is always helpful to visualize what my combo will look like.

Admittedly, going to so many prongs in one ring is a concern for me with them all catching on things, etc. Routine checking is not a problem, as I do that already myself with other pieces with prongs. It’s more the potential, regular snagging/catching that I worry about; I do like less-worrisome bezels for this reason. My dilemma is: I like a nice gallery that allows light in, but don’t want a boring ‘plain’ open gallery and also don’t want it overly complicated or too ‘fru-fru’. I think that’s why I like the Butterflies so much. It’s simple yet sleek, fluid and pretty while being open enough to still see the diamonds’ pavilions for viewing and cleaning.

I wonder how it might look if adapted to thinly-bezel the diamonds. :think:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did a super quick mock-up just to see - from the side - how bezels might look and removing the cross-bars, and I’ll just say ... I’m not liking it, as it takes away the elements from the Butterflies side view that I like and just makes it look/feel like a completely different ring.

With bezels/no cross-bars:
DCAD53E0-4BDA-46A2-B1A9-080C38A86FF1.jpeg

So I’m leaning more toward something like this, which I’ve been working on & tweaking here and there as time allows, and still have some additional minor tweaks, but you get the idea. Showing the ‘original’ setting as-is, and my ‘after’ renditions incorporating a couple changes I think I’d prefer, mainly a semi-bezel on the outer edges of the side diamonds so that I’m not scratching or bonking that single prong on things as well as minimizing the number of prongs overall that might catch on things.
9E9D2493-7BFA-4994-A746-4FC796A95188.jpeg
C1BBC33F-CF9C-4F1A-9E6C-37090DCD3760.jpeg

I have to say that - if I’m going to modify the Butterflies setting at all - this is probably my preferred look/direction ... for now. I *think* it keeps a more ‘sleek/fluid’ feel as well as retains the things I love about the overall look of Butterflies. I’d probably still want to lower the diamonds just a smidge though. Thoughts?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@D&T That’s a beautiful ring! And yes, that’s kind of what I would like on the ends for security & to not have the pointy end-prong. I would love to see a side picture of the end semi-bezel end if you have one. Or if it’s posted, I can try and find it. Thank you for sharing! :wavey:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Those aren't the prongs you have to worry about anyway. They are super tiny and bc they are tucked lower than the center, I find my side stones never catch on anything (and I have 6 prong on my sides!). The center stone is the one that touches things.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
and here is a ring with just 3 prongs, its still secure (the end prong is integrated in the shank so you couldn't just flip and break it by accident) but I can feel the end prongs near the shank, not my favorite feeling, but I also have sensitive fingers
upload_2019-10-5_12-48-57.png

Last edited:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
And I want to add that having worn both a bezel and three-stone with lots or prongs, I very much prefer the open and airy and delicate look of the three stone. The trade-off is totally worth it. And I think something of the delicacy is lost with the bezels on the outer stones. Also concerned about pave on the prongs requiring more metal and thus also negatively affecting the delicacy of this style.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I totally get where you are coming from regarding the side stone prongs rubbing on your adjacent fingers. My ring size is very large so I don't have to worry about that :geek2:

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally get where you are coming from regarding the side stone prongs rubbing on your adjacent fingers. My ring size is very large so I don't have to worry about that :geek2:
I just have boney fingers and the knuckle hits at the right spot... or wrong spot:(2 for me. I noticed that I have to keep my side diamonds more integrated into the shank more band like feel

Reactions: AV_

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@D&T These are awesome examples that you’ve posted; thank you so much! :appl: I may play with the semi-bezels on the ends a bit more using some of those as inspiration. Mine look pretty thin in the top-down image I mocked up, so they definitely weren’t where I want them in the end. I think I’m more like you here ... I am fine with choosing the trade-off of a bezel or semi-bezel for the added security and safety over the delicate look of all-prongs. That said, I feel like the idea I have for the Butterflies to have semi-bezeled outer edges-only strikes a nice balance - the sides won’t snag, the center has 6 prongs (may consider looking at 8 though seeing yours), the overall aesthetic of the design is retained, and all the diamonds will have ample protection where needed while striking the comfort-balance I like.

@dreamer_dachsie I appreciate what you’re saying regarding potentially losing some of the delicacy with my proposed changes to the standard Butterflies setting, but I don’t want a ‘delicate’ or ‘dainty’ ring; it just doesn’t suit my lifestyle, which is why I asked those who own a Butterflies setting to opine on that specifically (as I’d have WF make it for me). Also, my finger size (7) fluctuates up & down a bit from winter to summer, making my rings spin when loose ... and when they do, feeling prongs on my ‘neighbor’ fingers drives me batty. So, unfortunately, I do need to consider/worry about those prongs as well. While a center diamond will usually receive the majority of bonks, the sides on my other three stone rings take their share of knocks as well. I literally just whacked the side on one I’m wearing while sliding my hand down in the space between my sofa & end table. :doh:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@D&T These are awesome examples that you’ve posted; thank you so much! :appl: I may play with the semi-bezels on the ends a bit more using some of those as inspiration. Mine look pretty thin in the top-down image I mocked up, so they definitely weren’t where I want them in the end. I think I’m more like you here ... I am fine with choosing the trade-off of a bezel or semi-bezel for the added security and safety over the delicate look of all-prongs. That said, I feel like the idea I have for the Butterflies to have semi-bezeled outer edges-only strikes a nice balance - the sides won’t snag, the center has 6 prongs (may consider looking at 8 though seeing yours), the overall aesthetic of the design is retained, and all the diamonds will have ample protection where needed while striking the comfort-balance I like.

@dreamer_dachsie I appreciate what you’re saying regarding potentially losing some of the delicacy with my proposed changes to the standard Butterflies setting, but I don’t want a ‘delicate’ or ‘dainty’ ring; it just doesn’t suit my lifestyle, which is why I asked those who own a Butterflies setting to opine on that specifically (as I’d have WF make it for me). Also, my finger size (7) fluctuates up & down a bit from winter to summer, making my rings spin when loose ... and when they do, feeling prongs on my ‘neighbor’ fingers drives me batty. So, unfortunately, I do need to consider/worry about those prongs as well. While a center diamond will usually receive the majority of bonks, the sides on my other three stone rings take their share of knocks as well. I literally just whacked the side on one I’m wearing while sliding my hand down in the space between my sofa & end table. :doh:
Just popping it to wonder if you might actually like a three stone bezel setting. You could end up with something like this from the top, but keep the butterflies swags from underneath for it durability and non-snagginess.

d894849b924c19582ee95e9fdf0b01e6.jpg

https://www.etsy.com/listing/164293...erest&utm_medium=PageTools&utm_campaign=Share

Also adore this one https://www.estatediamondjewelry.com/product/english-vintage-engagement-ring/

Last edited:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm... well from a design standpoint I think trellis designs are inherently delicate and fluid, so not sure about trying to make it something it's not...

I like the way D&T is headed with her ring in terms of creating a "sturdy" ring that is still open from the side view.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
I'm a bezel/ semi bezel lover so I typically prefer that look anyways to prongs, and I don't baby my rings, so I'm going through a reset into a three stone with semi bezel/ 3/4 semi bezel look myself, the way I get around the airy opening is keeping the gallery open. But that's just me, everyone is different, I have loved bezels for 3 decades lol,

just for reference, I think Amy now has coined this the "Terry" Shank, as I so love the reverse taper look of the shank and keep the wider palm side helps keeps a nice balance ring upright,
upload_2019-10-5_13-5-27.png

I love that look.

Reactions: D&T

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@dreamer_dachsie I requested and received the measurements from WF for the Butterflies setting at various points, so I already know the rest of the trellis design ‘works’ for me. I’m simply thinking about making two changes to the existing design (semi-bezel outer edges and milgrain); everything else remains the same. Not following how is that ‘making it something it’s not’.

@rockysalamander :love: I love the one you posted the picture of, and may add a variation of it to my sketch board as well; thank you! I have considered going with a full bezel on all three stones, and haven’t ruled that out nor firmly decided yet on any setting. I believe I have 4 different conceptual designs so far that I’m mulling over in total, and just trying to consider all options and pros/cons.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a bezel/ semi bezel lover so I typically prefer that look anyways to prongs, and I don't baby my rings, so I'm going through a reset into a three stone with semi bezel/ 3/4 semi bezel look myself, the way I get around the airy opening is keeping the gallery open. But that's just me, everyone is different, I have loved bezels for 3 decades lol,

just for reference, I think Amy now has coined this the "Terry" Shank, as I so love the reverse taper look of the shank and keep the wider palm side helps keeps a nice balance ring upright,
I like this!!! :love:

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium

What sizes are your stones (diameter)?

Sorry to thread jack, @the_mother_thing

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE the semi-bezel at the ends! It's more secure, and as an added bonus, it helps emphasize the round shape of the smaller side stones so they don't sometimes look like pears from certain distances. Plus no poking into adjacent fingers. I think you should go for it!

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Pictures, please?! :kiss2: I’d love to see it, and I’d also love to see it with the Tiffany band!
Sorry, I've been out of the loop! It seems like my whole house is passing a funk around this past week and I'm behind on life.:)

I have to take some new photos, but I have a few I've posted before?
ETA: I found some newer ones. In some I had gained weight so my rings are tighter. These photos are good because it shows the similar widths better. Please excuse my silly nail art!
ETAA: Y'all, the cat hair. I'm sorry! I must take a lot of these when I'm petting/after my petting my cats!

Final thought, I feel like this ring may make my stone look a *bit* smaller than my solitaire, but good grief does it spin less! I think more spread out weight in the front helped that issue.

@yssie , thank you for the suggestion! And thank you again for your fabulous design! I did actually send it back at one year for a good polish and I can't remember why, but I *think* it would require unmounting the stone(s) to safely polish everything underneath. I didn't want to risk not having the same prong work so I just let them do what they could. It is better. And as time passes, I've kind of learned to live with it and it doesn't bother me as much anymore. I think my appraiser being unfazed helped make it more mind-clean for me.
IMG_8313.JPG IMG_8310.JPG IMG_7584.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1397.jpg
    IMG_1397.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_2894.jpg
    IMG_2894.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_1980.jpg
    IMG_1980.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1982.jpg
    IMG_1982.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_1389.jpg
    IMG_1389.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_4429.jpg
    IMG_4429.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its not exactly the same, but have you seen the Resilient from Elle at The Gemstone Project. It has a simplified strut system with swoops on the stone - rather than fully like the butterfly setting, but could be adapted to a bezels. Elle is great to work with and DK is usually her bench. A PS member had it made in a three stone, but I can't find the link with the search function not quite working.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE the semi-bezel at the ends! It's more secure, and as an added bonus, it helps emphasize the round shape of the smaller side stones so they don't sometimes look like pears from certain distances. Plus no poking into adjacent fingers. I think you should go for it!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on it! Those are the same reasons I like it. I’ve been too swamped with work the last few weeks to really focus and think about it, and I knew this fall was going to be too nuts to really try to decide for sure, so I had the ACA set in a soli that I’m picking up here this morning. Then I’ll be able to look at it more over the next few weeks and think more about it.

Its not exactly the same, but have you seen the Resilient from Elle at The Gemstone Project. It has a simplified strut system with swoops on the stone - rather than fully like the butterfly setting, but could be adapted to a bezels. Elle is great to work with and DK is usually her bench. A PS member had it made in a three stone, but I can't find the link with the search function not quite working.

I LOVE that setting! It’s gorgeous, graceful, and just an overall beautiful design. I really think I’d love that setting more for my OECs when I decide to reset them, and I’d love to work with Elle some time. I’ll more than likely stick with WF for this setting though (there are reasons for that ... I’ll explain later ;)2).

Heathcat24

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi @the_mother_thing ! I know this is an old thread, but I am (FINALLY!) starting to work on my three stone/Butterflies ring, and would actually like to incorporate something like you did - the semi-bezels on the side stones. I will be working with Liza at Whiteflash.

I just wanted to make sure it is OK with you for me to do that? I really just LOVED the look of your finished ring and could not get it out of my head! I have loved the Butterflies setting since the first time I saw it! (Thanks, @yssie ! It's AMAZING and an absolute dream of a setting!)

I know you have since gotten it reset, but I didn't want to step on any design toes with this modification... Thank you!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay I missed the updates in this thread but OMG the variant with semi bezelled endstones is out of this world pretty :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results