shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling those who put a halo on a larger diamond

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not as large as you're considering. 4.01ct ACA. I had it set in a halo - hated it - took it out. Loved the solitaire setting, but later upgraded the diamond from an I color to an H, 4.05ct and went back to a three stone - which I think provides far more significant impact than a halo. Both soli photos here are of the 4.01ct I VS1.

20180523_113657_resized.jpg

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry for the late reply.

I love the presence of the halo - its very showy and loud. But I miss the simple elegance of a solitaire. Now, I wouldn't remove the halo for fear of DSS. Best case scenario for me would be a larger solitaire.

Haha, I am of no help.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Just following along as I am in a similar boat- contemplating between a 6 and a 7 carat antique cushion but I LOVE halos. But I think a 6.7 or 7 carat cushion (12 x 11 mm ish for both round abouts) PLUS a halo on my size 4.25 fingers (thanks to getting older) might be too much.

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Not as large as you're considering. 4.01ct ACA. I had it set in a halo - hated it - took it out. Loved the solitaire setting, but later upgraded the diamond from an I color to an H, 4.05ct and went back to a three stone - which I think provides far more significant impact than a halo. Both soli photos here are of the 4.01ct I VS1.

144838 - e-ring and wedder.jpeg

20180831_144847.jpg

20180523_113657_resized.jpg

Thank you @mrs-b !! I love your gorgeous ACA in each of her settings! :kiss2:

A 3 stone gives great horizontal coverage but just isn’t what I want in an e-ring.

(sorry for the late response, I didn’t get notifications for some reason..)

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry for the late reply.

I love the presence of the halo - its very showy and loud. But I miss the simple elegance of a solitaire. Now, I wouldn't remove the halo for fear of DSS. Best case scenario for me would be a larger solitaire.

Haha, I am of no help.

Thank you @Phoenix ! That’s where I’m torn- a large solitaire is just so elegant and timeless but I do want a larger feel than my last 3 carat plus halo… the mm of that halo + diamond is about the same as a 5 carat round. My concern is that a solitaire won’t feel like more presence on my finger.

I do agree once I halo I can’t go back. I was shocked when I took my 3 carat out of the halo. It felt like a half carat stone!

I may have to increase my budget to get a larger stone if I decide on a solitaire ;(o_O

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Just following along as I am in a similar boat- contemplating between a 6 and a 7 carat antique cushion but I LOVE halos. But I think a 6.7 or 7 carat cushion (12 x 11 mm ish for both round abouts) PLUS a halo on my size 4.25 fingers (thanks to getting older) might be too much.
Hi! Oh I can’t wait to see what you choose! I’ve loved every one of your diamonds/settings you’ve posted over the years!

Would a 7 carat cushion plus halo be wider than your tiny finger?

I tried on an antique emerald that was about that mm size (on a size 6 finger) and there wasn’t a ton of space left for a halo.

IMG_3611.jpeg

If it would work, a 7 carat antique cushion in an ultra delicate halo would be divine. It reminds me of this ring I saved eons ago. :kiss2:

IMG_1929.jpeg

This upgrade was almost 20 years in the making. It’s so exciting for me because it signifies how far my husband and I have come, in our marriage and also in our careers. It’s a hard choice. Especially at this price point.

I feel like I’m all over the place. At first I was considering a rose cut and almost purchased one but hesitated and it sold. Then I was considering RB, then OMB, then RB, then solitaire, halo and even recently have thought of maybe saving 100k and getting a lab stone. My problem is I love it all!

I think I may do what @Tonks did and try to find jewelers that have stones/rings in the sizes and shapes I’m considering and try them on to see how I feel.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
My problem is I love it all!

I think I may do what @Tonks did and try to find jewelers that have stones/rings in the sizes and shapes I’m considering and try them on to see how I feel.

Laughing because you sound like me! I love ALL the sparklies!

Yes, I advocate an overthinking and research-based approach like I did where you visit a ton of stores and try on as many things as possible. As part of that, I encourage you to think about cut more generally. You have had a lot of antique cut stones and are thinking about a modern round (and yes, I understand the pull toward both). Do you want to go antique or modern? Make a list of what appeals to you about each. I would include “upgradeability” on the list and figure out how important that is for you. With PS vendors like WF, you can upgrade easily if you go with a superideal. If you have an antique stone it is much harder. So how valuable is flexibility in future upgrades for you?

What’s your top priority? Size? Sparkle? Color? Flexibility in the future? Consistent performance across lighting scenarios? A certain style? There could be a million things but what matters to YOU is the important factor here.

Also, you are not the only one with a ring size that fluctuates. If I’m cold I can put a 6 on my finger comfortably. If it’s hot my 6.75s can get tight. It drives me batty.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Hi! Oh I can’t wait to see what you choose! I’ve loved every one of your diamonds/settings you’ve posted over the years!

Would a 7 carat cushion plus halo be wider than your tiny finger?

I tried on an antique emerald that was about that mm size (on a size 6 finger) and there wasn’t a ton of space left for a halo.

IMG_3611.jpeg

If it would work, a 7 carat antique cushion in an ultra delicate halo would be divine. It reminds me of this ring I saved eons ago. :kiss2:

IMG_1929.jpeg

This upgrade was almost 20 years in the making. It’s so exciting for me because it signifies how far my husband and I have come, in our marriage and also in our careers. It’s a hard choice. Especially at this price point.

I feel like I’m all over the place. At first I was considering a rose cut and almost purchased one but hesitated and it sold. Then I was considering RB, then OMB, then RB, then solitaire, halo and even recently have thought of maybe saving 100k and getting a lab stone. My problem is I love it all!

Technically it could- depending on the design. I am in discussions with David Michael Jewels on what would be suitable. A delicate tucked halo could work. I’m having him also make several solitaire designs with intricate galleries (as bigger stones lend more space for this) as I’m not really a simple setting gal. I’m halo girl through and through.

It definitely is difficult at this price point so you have to be happy with the decision. This is a 10 year wedding anniversary upgrade (even though that was a year ago) but finding the stone is proving to be difficult.

I would definitely see as many stones as possible if you’re unsure about the shape you want to settle on. I won’t do labs for an engagement ring as it’s a mind clean thing for me, but I would definitely use it for a travel ring or studs or even a band ! In the end you have to be happy with what you end up with.

Here is a pic of the 6.7 carat Antique cushion but it’s in a ridiculously high stone holder so it’s not accurate in how it would truly look set. IMG_7641.jpeg

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @Phoenix ! That’s where I’m torn- a large solitaire is just so elegant and timeless but I do want a larger feel than my last 3 carat plus halo… the mm of that halo + diamond is about the same as a 5 carat round. My concern is that a solitaire won’t feel like more presence on my finger.

I do agree once I halo I can’t go back. I was shocked when I took my 3 carat out of the halo. It felt like a half carat stone!

I may have to increase my budget to get a larger stone if I decide on a solitaire ;(o_O

If you could, I'd do so. Maybe save up a bit more, wait a while?

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Laughing because you sound like me! I love ALL the sparklies!

Yes, I advocate an overthinking and research-based approach like I did where you visit a ton of stores and try on as many things as possible. As part of that, I encourage you to think about cut more generally. You have had a lot of antique cut stones and are thinking about a modern round (and yes, I understand the pull toward both). Do you want to go antique or modern? Make a list of what appeals to you about each. I would include “upgradeability” on the list and figure out how important that is for you. With PS vendors like WF, you can upgrade easily if you go with a superideal. If you have an antique stone it is much harder. So how valuable is flexibility in future upgrades for you?

What’s your top priority? Size? Sparkle? Color? Flexibility in the future? Consistent performance across lighting scenarios? A certain style? There could be a million things but what matters to YOU is the important factor here.

Also, you are not the only one with a ring size that fluctuates. If I’m cold I can put a 6 on my finger comfortably. If it’s hot my 6.75s can get tight. It drives me batty.

It's such a hard choice! I'm going to follow in your footsteps and go try on as much as I can. In a perfect world, I could have it all! Lol

I just want to look at the ring and think, "Wow I really love this ring." I've never had that 100%. I always wanted to improve something - the color, increase the size or the setting wasn't quite right.

I don't care about an upgrade because this will be it - for an e-ring that is. I have too many other things I'd like to spend money on to put more into just one piece. I know there will always be bigger and better but I'm sure I'll be content with what I end up with.

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Technically it could- depending on the design. I am in discussions with David Michael Jewels on what would be suitable. A delicate tucked halo could work. I’m having him also make several solitaire designs with intricate galleries (as bigger stones lend more space for this) as I’m not really a simple setting gal. I’m halo girl through and through.

It definitely is difficult at this price point so you have to be happy with the decision. This is a 10 year wedding anniversary upgrade (even though that was a year ago) but finding the stone is proving to be difficult.

I would definitely see as many stones as possible if you’re unsure about the shape you want to settle on. I won’t do labs for an engagement ring as it’s a mind clean thing for me, but I would definitely use it for a travel ring or studs or even a band ! In the end you have to be happy with what you end up with.

Here is a pic of the 6.7 carat Antique cushion but it’s in a ridiculously high stone holder so it’s not accurate in how it would truly look set. IMG_7641.jpeg

What a gorgeous antique cushion! Is that one that you're considering? A delicate halo or intricate gallery both sound divine! David's work is really amazing- your next ring will be one for the books!

I'm going to look at many more diamonds until I know for sure the shape I want. I'll probably end up with a temp setting until I can figure that out. I've never felt or been so indecisive.

I hadn't considered labs for any jewelry until recently. I'm picking up a pair of RB studs Caysie made me today as a kind of experiment, to see if they feel the same to me as earth mined diamonds. My husband is not on board with a lab diamond for the upgrade but the thought of what I could do with the extra money makes me think maybeee..... lol

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
If you could, I'd do so. Maybe save up a bit more, wait a while?

I think to see a noticeable difference, I'd have to go from 5 carats to 7 carats and realistically that would double the cost, for the same specs. I could go down in color to stay closer to budget which maybe I'm ok with in an antique but not if I go with a modern RB.

This thread has been really helpful! I'm going to see and try on as much as possible and hope that helps me decide.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
What a gorgeous antique cushion! Is that one that you're considering? A delicate halo or intricate gallery both sound divine! David's work is really amazing- your next ring will be one for the books!

I'm going to look at many more diamonds until I know for sure the shape I want. I'll probably end up with a temp setting until I can figure that out. I've never felt or been so indecisive.

I hadn't considered labs for any jewelry until recently. I'm picking up a pair of RB studs Caysie made me today as a kind of experiment, to see if they feel the same to me as earth mined diamonds. My husband is not on board with a lab diamond for the upgrade but the thought of what I could do with the extra money makes me think maybeee..... lol

Yes, it is one of the two I am considering. This is a GIA H 6.7 carat and I am considering a 7.1 carat GIA J . Both are very similar in size but the 7 carat is obviously bigger. I originally was offered it last year and I passed on it thinking it was too ostentatious and yet, here I am again lusting after it. The price has increased by 34k in the last 14 months ! So If I were you, and saw something you loved, I would snap it up asap.

I have considered ovals, ECs, OECs- but I always come right back to cushions. See what you gravitate towards. With my previous stones, if I wanted to upgrade or try something different, it was easy to sell (everything sold within 24 hours of listing it)- but with this purchase, that would be nearly impossible so I have to be sure.

I don't like lab diamonds for the main attraction- but for studs I'd go for it 100%. My mom has always wanted bigger studs (she had 2.5 ctw mined mrbs) but told me she didn't feel comfortable with us buying her larger diamonds. I ended up buying her a 3.4 ctw lab MRB from Alex Park and she was so over the moon with it and felt better about it as it was a fraction of the cost of a mined set.

Haha definitely, could buy an Italian villa in the country with the cost of what we're spending for a 6 or 7 carat antique diamond ! Play around with some fakes and see what you really gravitate towards!

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, it is one of the two I am considering. This is a GIA H 6.7 carat and I am considering a 7.1 carat GIA J . Both are very similar in size but the 7 carat is obviously bigger. I originally was offered it last year and I passed on it thinking it was too ostentatious and yet, here I am again lusting after it. The price has increased by 34k in the last 14 months ! So If I were you, and saw something you loved, I would snap it up asap.

I have considered ovals, ECs, OECs- but I always come right back to cushions. See what you gravitate towards. With my previous stones, if I wanted to upgrade or try something different, it was easy to sell (everything sold within 24 hours of listing it)- but with this purchase, that would be nearly impossible so I have to be sure.

I don't like lab diamonds for the main attraction- but for studs I'd go for it 100%. My mom has always wanted bigger studs (she had 2.5 ctw mined mrbs) but told me she didn't feel comfortable with us buying her larger diamonds. I ended up buying her a 3.4 ctw lab MRB from Alex Park and she was so over the moon with it and felt better about it as it was a fraction of the cost of a mined set.

Haha definitely, could buy an Italian villa in the country with the cost of what we're spending for a 6 or 7 carat antique diamond ! Play around with some fakes and see what you really gravitate towards!

Wow that price hike is pretty significant! That stone is gorgeous! I can't wait to see what you end up with.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results