shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling Pandora

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
If anyone else can help me thats great but Pandora was the first person who sprung to mind!

We have been given a really competitive quote for our reception from the Waldorf Hilton in London but I don''t know anyone who has ever attended a function there. I would rather not travel all that way to visit the Hilton if its not so nice or the service/food is not good enough.

If you have been there Pandora (or anyone else who is in the UK) would you please let me know how it was.

Thank you!!
9.gif

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not Pandora but perhaps I can help?!

I''ve stayed at the Waldorf twice - once for a week with a firm function and another time for personal reasons -- and I''ve had canapes and drinks at the bar there countless times. I''ve had a catered meal at the Waldorf once which really wasn''t bad - it was an Indian buffet. The servers were very professional and attentive, and it was a nice function space. The hotel itself was recently refurbished and definitely caters to business travelers. My firm hosts an event there every June. It''s super convenient in a great location - just down the road from where I work! The lobby area is always bustling and the front bar always busy -- although service there can be rocky, forgetful and at times unfriendly. But that''s just the front bar.

Hope this helps!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I have seen just about every ballroom/5* hotel in London I think! The Waldorf Hilton has a very pretty 'palm court', which I loved - but I need 2 adjoining rooms and it wasn't going to work for my numbers. The staff were super-nice though!

I currently use the Sheraton Park Lane, which is amazing and artdeco. The food is excellent as is the service.

Can you give me an idea of how many people, what sort of reception it will be and the ambience that you are after and I will let you know what I think! Also the time of year - there are some great hidden-away places as well, that you might want to consider. If it's not a problem to say, an idea of your budget would be useful - but understand if you'd rather not...

One place I will never, ever set foot in again is The Dorchester'. I spent over $80k with them for a Ball and they were impossible to get hold of, the banqueting Manager disappeared straight after the Starter and went home - then lied to me that he had been there all evening (the staff-member who took over had told me when he had left, and the poor replacement had never done the job before and was hopeless).

I stayed there overnight as it finished for me at 3.30am as I had to fix everything afterwards - and despite the amount I spent, they billed me $50 for breakfast!!
23.gif

Not only that, they were very reluctant to let me count the empty bottles of champagne at the end of the evening. (It's always a good idea to do this - I have worked in loads of hotels and it's not uncommon for them to keep 20 empties on hand to add to yours - one of the reasons I always bring my own in, so I can check the brand on the bottle!)

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you Krissie, its great to have someones view of the place.
1.gif

Pandora, we have considered the Dorchester, Claridges and The Hilton. Our reasons for these choices is that we want a historic looking building which shouts 'I'm in London'!!
9.gif

We worked out these approximate prices for 25 people for a sit down dinner, champagne reception and wine with dinner:

Dorchester - £3000

Claridges - £2756

Hilton - £2625

As our group is so small we are having trouble finding a venue which will let us have music and a little bit of a dance. They keep telling us that the function rooms are near bedrooms and will disturb other guests (which we understand). Its disappointing though as we want to have a first dance!

We have also considered The Royal Horseguards and One Whitehall Place and The Royal Society of Arts building. Both are within our price range but Gary isn't sure he likes them. They would allow dancing as long as the music doesn't reach disco levels. We plan to use CD's or an Ipod.

I would say our budget is £3000 max. We want to do it midweek as the photographer and other services offer a discount through the week. The ambience I am looking for is elaborate, classy, elegant and Posh!! We are having our ceremony at the Chelsea Registry Office and then hiring a London Bus to transport us to Holland Park for photos, then on to the reception.

We need to stick with London as its easier for everyone to get there. I really would love to use somewhere like the Dorchester as its such a famous place - this matters to me I suppose, I like the fact that its so well known and old. I hear what you are saying about how you didn't like the staff very much - and I will keep that in mind
1.gif

The Sheraton looks nice - I think I will give them a ring on monday.

Thank you for your help!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
OOOOH just found the Landmark London Hotel!!! Ohhh my word, its stunning!!!! I bet I can''t afford it lol!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Which rooms are they offering you at the Dorchester and at the Hilton?

The Park Lane Ballroom is amazing - but for 100+ , but I'm not sure what they have in the way of a smaller room for 25.

If they will let you have the Palm Court at the Hilton, it is fab - the centre part would be a good size dance floor, with a table either each side or at the top of the room. Then there is space on the surrounding raised bit for a band.

The Dorchester's Gold Room is beautiful - but some of the other's, ie the Crystal room I wasn't keen on.

Landmark is very nice - again depends which room. Have you looked at the Savoy, or Simpsons in the Strand?

The other places I use A LOT when I want somewhere lovely and historic for a smaller group are the Livery Halls. Particularly nice are the Skinners, Leathersellers (not sure if they are for hire), Stationers, Drapers, Ironmongers, one of my favourites - Merchant Taylors which has a gorgeous courtyard and cloisters. The catering is excellent and you will save a lot compared with hotels on wine costs. The beadles and wardens are so incredibly helpful. Personally I would probably opt for one of these over the big hotels - just because you get an extra something and they are totally beautiful.

Another option is Middle Temple, which is one of the Inns of Court.

Can I ask when your wedding is? I can always try and pop round to a few at the beginning of October and take some photos for you if that would help.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Its not until 2009. We are in London in April to have a look at whatever venues we settle on and we would have to make our decision then. Maybe we could meet up for a coffee?
1.gif

I will have a look at the other ones you suggested.

The Dorchester is offering us the Penthouse and Pavillion rooms with the terrace. It looks lovely on the photos.

The Hilton has a smaller function room - The Executive Boardroom. It looks really nice on the photos they sent us.

The Landmark is looking really hopeful. They have a room called the Tower Suite. I love how its so bright in there! Its definitely within our price range too. We were thinking of having afternoon tea there, then hopefully going into Regents Park for photos, then back for the reception in the evening.

towersuite.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results