shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling Pandora Please

T

talamasca

Pandora|1304886327|2915545 said:
I would go with that last setting - btw I got a quote a month ago on that exact setting and it was coming in at around £270 inl. VAT at that time (prices do alter depending on gold-price) - and stick most of the budget into a killer centre stone.

Hi Pandora, was that quote for 9ct or 18ct WG?

I went to jewellers on Sat and was suprised to get a quote of £300 in 9ct and £500 in 18ct!

I also asked for an additional quote to include a filigree design to the shoulders which upped the price by £50.

Now personally I'm not bothered if it's 9ct or 18ct as I looked at rings in both and they both looked nice, plus I imagine 9ct would be tougher and if it started to look bad I could get it dipped, but it just seemed quite expensive.

Also, as an aside, they would want a £100 deposit despite the fact that they'll have my gem, which I found odd!

Original Thread - [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/e-ring-project.160339/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/e-ring-project.160339/[/URL]

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
18k wg...

Do you want to go with my guy? I know I get a good price from him, but not 'that' good!

T

talamasca

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll hang fire for the min as I've asked for a quote from another local jeweller so will see what they come back with.

Also, I'm quite nervous at posting my gemstone, heck I'm nervous about leaving it with a local jeweller! :roll:

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
talamasca|1306164677|2928296 said:
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll hang fire for the min as I've asked for a quote from another local jeweller so will see what they come back with.

Also, I'm quite nervous at posting my gemstone, heck I'm nervous about leaving it with a local jeweller! :roll:

For that difference in price it would be worth the train fare! Where abouts in the UK are you?

T

talamasca

I'm in Leeds and I looked at train fares this morning and for both of us to come down it would be £115, with coach only costing £30!!!! So definitely a good idea if it doesn't work out with this other jeweller. If we did, would a Sat be OK?

T

talamasca

It may be a trip to London after all! Just received this quote for the attached:

To make this bespoke setting to your requirements which includes.

Design and 3D image
Wax Sample
Casting
Setting stone and finishing
Hallmarking 18ct via Assay office

£870.00 less 15% = £739.00

As the quote is over our budget, he has since suggested Palladium as a cheaper alternative rather than 9ct white gold, but I've not asked for a re-quote.

I know this design is slightly different to the plain one, but does it really warrant such a price difference?

I've received 2 quotes now for 18ct WG; £739 and £550, but our budget is £350 - should I just go with 9ct WG, which comes in on budget to save the hassle?

Pink Ring.JPG

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Anything that involves custom work will cost a LOT more - the quote is actually very reasonable.

The quote I am talking about is for a mount that comes from a catalogue and the stone will be mounted into it and the whole thing finished and polished. Basically you would be shown 3 or 4 mounts to chose from.

The moment you start going near CAD and waxes your cost will at least double because that is a huge amount more work than just ringing the semi-mount company with the code number.

I'm not sure if there is a reason for not using 9kt gold. I personally like 18kt because it's softer and easier to bend the prongs etc which is of major concern to me if people are sticking pieces of metal round my stone.

The issue you would have with coming down is that it would take 2 trips - to drop the stone off and to come back and pick it up.

T

talamasca

Ah I see! And that's why the other Jeweller quoted £550 cos his doesn't include CAD's and wax mouldings, etc.

Hmm, will have a think. I did try on a ring at the jewellers which I really liked, but it was plain. It had lovely high thin shoulders and the gem was obviously set quite high too, but it was in a sharp V prong style which I didn't like. Think it might be a case of back to the internet to see if I can find something like that which can just be ordered.

Oh well, at least this searching isn't stressing me like the spinel search did!

Thank you for your advice :D

T

talamasca

Ah I see! And that's why the other Jeweller quoted £550 cos his doesn't include CAD's and wax mouldings, etc.

Hmm, will have a think. I did try on a ring at the jewellers which I really liked, but it was plain. It had lovely high thin shoulders and the gem was obviously set quite high too, but it was in a sharp V prong style which I didn't like. Think it might be a case of back to the internet to see if I can find something like that which can just be ordered.

Oh well, at least this searching isn't stressing me like the spinel search did!

Thank you for your advice :D

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
http://www.eurofindings.com/

I would look on this site as they are who a lot of UK jewellers will order from. As it's trade only you won't be able to see the prices but you can at least see what is available and you can go to your jeweller armed with the code numbers.

As soon as you start looking elsewhere you are risking custom work and upping your costs.

If it was my ring, I would opt for a simpler design and 18kt gold rather than dropping to 9kt.

T

talamasca

Out of all the designs I've looked at I like this the most, but can't find it for an oval stone so I have contacted them to see if it's something they have available.

Oh and it's 18ct WG - £335, inc VAT.

The Jeweller I've been working with has something in very similar which I tried on and wasn't sure about the V prongs, even though they suited me, but also it was for a square cut and he's quoted £450 to alter it to fit an oval. I'm off to see him at lunchtime to see if he can come down in price since I've found this other one and to make sure I like the prongs.

Attachments

• The Ring.bmp
    684.7 KB · Views: 283
T

talamasca

Hmmm, just got back from Jeweller and the ring is really lovely. The shoulders are, I estimate, about 5 or even 6 mm high and look fab, but my budget will only allow it in 9ct so unless I hear something back from the others I contacted I think I'll just go with that since I can't find this style as an 'off the shelf' oval ring.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
What is the price difference between the 9kt and the 18kt?

T

talamasca

£100 difference.

I can have a new 9k WG 4 claw high shoulder design for £350 or they will alter up the second-hand 18k WG, which would mean removing the teeny tiny diamond and setting it currently has, opening-up the shoulders to allow the larger 4 claw setting for my stone for £450, which I presume is £50 less than the quote they gave me for my other design without the filigree as they already have the base of the ring available in 18k.

I've got the addresses of a couple of other Jewellers who aren't too far away and I'm going to go on Sat armed with the pictures and pricing from the internet to see if I can find something.

After going all round the houses and now coming back to wanting a mass produced plain piece I can't seem to find a Jeweller who stocks settings for me to look at! One guy didn't respond to e-mail when I asked about off the shelf and the Jeweller I've been dealing with the most said they just cannot buy in 18k WG in my price range.

So, who knows! I'm hoping to hear something back from the company selling the last design I posted a pic of with regard to measurements and whether it would fit an oval.

Do round settings also fit ovals?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results