shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling Neatfreak-And Any Other Thailand Lovers!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Hey there-

So I just booked our tixx to Thailand for our honeymoon. We''ll be there for the last week of August and first week of September. I''m SOOO EXCITED!!!

Neatfreak-just wondering if you guys went to Thailand. I saw a thread that said you were planning on going in January. And if so, any tips?

Also for everyone else, any recommendations? The plan is to go to Bangkok, take the train up to Chiang Mai, then fly to Koh Samui. I''d actually prefer to go to Krabi but the weather is supposed to be "safer" in Koh Samui that time of year.

THANKS!!!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
No we didn''t. Just didn''t work out timing wise with school (we are both in graduate school). But we are hoping to go soon!!! Surfgirl is really the expert on this topic, not me.

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
We went east-west instead of north-south, so not sure how much I can tell you.

Don''t bargain for a taxi. Insist that you take a metered one.

It''s waaaaaay cheaper. Strangely enough, the honest ones don''t tend to speak much english, so it helps to know the thai name for places (ex: if it says "Western Terminal" on the map, you can bet they don''t call it that in thai). We had to do a lot of gesturing and circling things on a map - but it always worked out in the end.

That''s all I can think of right now. It''s only 9AM over here. Thailand is AMAZING. My FI and I are scheming to go back and hit up the north-south route!

Go snorkeling! The marine wildlife is amazing. My FI and I saw a little octopus in the reef and took a lot of really bad photos of it.

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
My BF and I were in Bangkok/Koh Samui last summer. We had a great time. Koh Samui is close to the national marine park
featured in the novel "The Beach". You should take a day tour. We stayed at a small boutique hotel in Bophut...it's a very chill, less commercial area than Chaweng. It's close to the fisherman's village which has a lot of nice restaurants in close walking distance. However, the beach water in Bophut is a little murky (BF saw Water Buffalo in the water one early morning)...so if swimming in crystal clear water is what you want i wouldn't recommend Bophut. (We spent a lot of time at the pool.)

In Bangkok, if you're going to visit the Imperial Palace, don't listen to any of the locals telling you the palace is 'closed' for a few hours. They want you to go on a tuk tuk where the driver will take you to a number of shops (jewellery stores, tailors, etc...) so you can spend money. We fell for this and spent a good part of our day in stores we didn't want to be in. When we finally got to the palace, we learned it was open the entire time!

Do you have hotels booked yet?

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone!

We will definitely do some snorkeling at the Marine Park!

CDN- we don''t have our hotels yet. I think we''ll probably do the Peninsula in Bangkok. Not sure as to Chiang Mai or Koh Samui yet. We''re thinking maybe Sandalwood Villas in KS (I think this is between Lamai & Chaweng). Did you find it to be a problem to get around KS? We want to be kinda away from the busy-ness of Chaweng but be able to get to that area if we want to party a little. DId you think the weather was ok? Any rained out days? PS-I''m in NYC too!!

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2008 11:59:37 AM
Author: scarlet16
Thanks everyone!

CDN- we don''t have our hotels yet. I think we''ll probably do the Peninsula in Bangkok. Not sure as to Chiang Mai or Koh Samui yet. We''re thinking maybe Sandalwood Villas in KS (I think this is between Lamai & Chaweng). Did you find it to be a problem to get around KS? We want to be kinda away from the busy-ness of Chaweng but be able to get to that area if we want to party a little. DId you think the weather was ok? Any rained out days? PS-I''m in NYC too!!
Hey Scarlet,

we didn''t have a problem at all igetting around in KS. Our hotel picked us up and dropped us off at the airport. We also stayed right by the fisherman''s village in Bophut; we had all these fabulous restaurants and shops within walking distance. When we needed a taxi (to go to Chewang), the hotel arranged it for us and it was around 300-400 bahts. When we went on excursions, the company who organized them sent a car to pick us up. You can also rent scooters to get around.

We were in KS in June and the weather was amazing. Only rained once for about an hour and that was around lunch time, so we all hung out at the bar. We had wanted to travel to the islands on the west coast of Thailand but were told at that time of year, we were better off staying on the east coast.

Am jealous you are going! We had an awesome time!

Where in NYC are you - Manhattan? I knew you were close ''cause I was following your e-ring story.
2.gif
I live near where the Pope will be visiting today; all I''m hearing this morning is chanting and singing outside (mixed in with construction). Kinda sounds like a european futebol match.
28.gif

PS - Thailand is well known for their sapphires and rubies. Will you be looking at buying some jewellery?

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/18/2008 11:22:00 AM
Author: CDNinNYC

Date: 4/17/2008 11:59:37 AM
Thanks everyone!

Hey Scarlet,

we didn''t have a problem at all igetting around in KS. Our hotel picked us up and dropped us off at the airport. We also stayed right by the fisherman''s village in Bophut; we had all these fabulous restaurants and shops within walking distance. When we needed a taxi (to go to Chewang), the hotel arranged it for us and it was around 300-400 bahts. When we went on excursions, the company who organized them sent a car to pick us up. You can also rent scooters to get around.

We were in KS in June and the weather was amazing. Only rained once for about an hour and that was around lunch time, so we all hung out at the bar. We had wanted to travel to the islands on the west coast of Thailand but were told at that time of year, we were better off staying on the east coast.

Am jealous you are going! We had an awesome time!

Where in NYC are you - Manhattan? I knew you were close ''cause I was following your e-ring story.
2.gif
I live near where the Pope will be visiting today; all I''m hearing this morning is chanting and singing outside (mixed in with construction). Kinda sounds like a european futebol match.
28.gif

PS - Thailand is well known for their sapphires and rubies. Will you be looking at buying some jewellery?
Thanks CDN! That helps.

What was the name of the resort you stayed at in Bophut, if you don''t mind me asking?

I''m near the Time Warner Center, but lived near where you are for about 3 years. I can imagine the streets are kinda hectic over there right now!! You''ll have to join us when we plan this NYC get together for later this summer (and you can see the result of my diamond journey)!

Ah, rubies are my weakness...we''ll see if I can convince the soon to be DH to get me a honeymoon present!
31.gif

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock

Hey DiaGem,

that's a great website. I found reviews and photos of the two resorts we were considering when we were planning our trip in KS.

Scarlett,

the Anantara Resort and Spa was where we wanted to stay but they didn't have any availability for our dates. The place looks awesome for honeymooners! http://www.sawadee.com/hotel/samui/anantarasamui/pictures.html

We ended up booking 8 days at the Waterfront Bophut. http://www.sawadee.com/hotel/samui/waterfront/pictures.html It's rated number 1 on Trip Advisor for hotels in Koh Samui (and it was cheap!). We had an amazing time there. The grounds are small/intimate (don't know if that's a negative for you) and the water on the beach is a little murky. If that's not important to you, there are some better beaches about 10 minutes away. We stayed in the Deluxe family bungalow. (you can see photos in the link above.) They also had the best massages!

If I was on my honeymoon, I think I would prefer the Anantara 'cause it looks more luxurious but it depends on what type of honeymoon you want. The Anantara is also on the north part of the island right by Bophut, so I'm thinking the fisherman's village would be walking distance as well.

I'm definitely up for getting together later this summer. I think we may have e-ring siblings. BF has had mine since February but I haven't seen it yet.

Are you spending your entire honeymoon in Thailand? We also went to Cambodia and Vietnam. It was an amazing trip.

PS - BF bought me a sapphire ring in Thailand. I
30.gif
it!

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Anantara in Bophut is an amazing place (but expensive), next door to it you can find another amazing (reasonable priced) hotel called Bandara resort (http://www.sawadee.com/hotel/samui/bandara/ )..., I was there a few months ago with my family and we all loved it! Their villa''s are perfect for honeymooners!

If $$$ is no object...., four seasons on the other side of the island is a SUPER DOOPER resort..., a heaven in every sense of the word!!!

For clear water lovers!!! Koh Tao is a scuba divers dream! with a day trip to Koh Nanyuan! Aquarium type snorkeling and diving!
A super charming place called Charm Churee http://www.sawadee.com/hotel/kohtao/charmchuree/
Great little cozy bay called Jansons bay (see pictures)

If you want a piece of secluded paradise..., the must and pretty reasonable $$$ is at the north-east part of Koh Panghan:

Less expensive option: http://www.sawadee.com/hotel/kohphangan/panviman/

More expensive option: http://www.sawadee.com/hotel/kohphangan/santhiya/

Both owned by the same owner..., each hotel is on the edge of this super amazing bay..., actually reminded me of Thailand 20-30 years ago!
18.gif

Good luck and dont hesitate to ask questions...

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/18/2008 1:08:11 PM

Hey DiaGem,

that''s a great website. I found reviews and photos of the two resorts we were considering when we were planning our trip in KS.

Scarlett,

the Anantara Resort and Spa was where we wanted to stay but they didn''t have any availability for our dates. The place looks awesome for honeymooners! http://www.sawadee.com/hotel/samui/anantarasamui/pictures.html

We ended up booking 8 days at the Waterfront Bophut. http://www.sawadee.com/hotel/samui/waterfront/pictures.html It''s rated number 1 on Trip Advisor for hotels in Koh Samui (and it was cheap!). We had an amazing time there. The grounds are small/intimate (don''t know if that''s a negative for you) and the water on the beach is a little murky. If that''s not important to you, there are some better beaches about 10 minutes away. We stayed in the Deluxe family bungalow. (you can see photos in the link above.) They also had the best massages!

If I was on my honeymoon, I think I would prefer the Anantara ''cause it looks more luxurious but it depends on what type of honeymoon you want. The Anantara is also on the north part of the island right by Bophut, so I''m thinking the fisherman''s village would be walking distance as well.

I''m definitely up for getting together later this summer. I think we may have e-ring siblings. BF has had mine since February but I haven''t seen it yet.

Are you spending your entire honeymoon in Thailand? We also went to Cambodia and Vietnam. It was an amazing trip.

30.gif
it!

We only have 12 days (14 including the flying) so we''re going to do 3 days in Bangkok, 3 days in Chiang Mai and 5 days in Koh Samui. I''d LOVE to do Cambodia & Vietnam but we''re going to have to save that for another trip!

A lot of people have recommended the Anantara to us. I''m a little overwhelmed since there are SOOO many great resorts. Right now the list is: Sandalwood, Tonsai Bay, Imperial Samui, Sala Samui...and now I''ll add Anantara. I just want to make sure we''re somewhat near Chaweng in case we want to get over there for some partying.

OH OH...Do you have a Leon w/ ERD cushion too???? Spill it!

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/18/2008 1:58:42 PM
Author: DiaGem
Anantara in Bophut is an amazing place (but expensive), next door to it you can find another amazing (reasonable priced) hotel called Bandara resort (http://www.sawadee.com/hotel/samui/bandara/ )..., I was there a few months ago with my family and we all loved it! Their villa''s are perfect for honeymooners!

If $$$ is no object...., four seasons on the other side of the island is a SUPER DOOPER resort..., a heaven in every sense of the word!!!

For clear water lovers!!! Koh Tao is a scuba divers dream! with a day trip to Koh Nanyuan! Aquarium type snorkeling and diving!
A super charming place called Charm Churee http://www.sawadee.com/hotel/kohtao/charmchuree/

If you want a piece of secluded paradise..., the must and pretty reasonable $$$ is at the north-east part of Koh Panghan:

Both owned by the same owner..., each hotel is on the edge of this super amazing bay..., actually reminded me of Thailand 20-30 years ago!
18.gif

Thanks SO much Dia-gem!!! I''ll take a look at the Bandara. Is there a part of the island you''d really really recommend over another?

And geesh...I''d love to stay at the Four Seasons...that was my first love, but their prices are WAY out of our range. We''re willing to spend a pretty penny (esp. considering it''s Thailand) but not that much!.

So, is it worth it to spend a night in Koh Tao instead of going to the Marine Park? FI is not a huge snorkler, but I love it...

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/18/2008 2:09:00 PM

Date: 4/18/2008 1:08:11 PM

Hey DiaGem,

that''s a great website. I found reviews and photos of the two resorts we were considering when we were planning our trip in KS.

Scarlett,

the Anantara Resort and Spa was where we wanted to stay but they didn''t have any availability for our dates. The place looks awesome for honeymooners! http://www.sawadee.com/hotel/samui/anantarasamui/pictures.html

We ended up booking 8 days at the Waterfront Bophut. http://www.sawadee.com/hotel/samui/waterfront/pictures.html It''s rated number 1 on Trip Advisor for hotels in Koh Samui (and it was cheap!). We had an amazing time there. The grounds are small/intimate (don''t know if that''s a negative for you) and the water on the beach is a little murky. If that''s not important to you, there are some better beaches about 10 minutes away. We stayed in the Deluxe family bungalow. (you can see photos in the link above.) They also had the best massages!

If I was on my honeymoon, I think I would prefer the Anantara ''cause it looks more luxurious but it depends on what type of honeymoon you want. The Anantara is also on the north part of the island right by Bophut, so I''m thinking the fisherman''s village would be walking distance as well.

I''m definitely up for getting together later this summer. I think we may have e-ring siblings. BF has had mine since February but I haven''t seen it yet.

30.gif
it!

We only have 12 days (14 including the flying) so we''re going to do 3 days in Bangkok, 3 days in Chiang Mai and 5 days in Koh Samui. I''d LOVE to do Cambodia & Vietnam but we''re going to have to save that for another trip!

A lot of people have recommended the Anantara to us. I''m a little overwhelmed since there are SOOO many great resorts. Right now the list is: Sandalwood, Tonsai Bay, Imperial Samui, Sala Samui...and now I''ll add Anantara. I just want to make sure we''re somewhat near Chaweng in case we want to get over there for some partying.

OH OH...Do you have a Leon w/ ERD cushion too???? Spill it!
Bophut is only 10 min. ride from Chaweng..., cheap via tuk tuk..., no metered taxi rides..., they al charge 400 bath''s (avoid them)

Here are some amazing Chaweng resorts:

http://www.sawadee.com/hotel/samui/thelibrary/

http://www.sawadee.com/hotel/samui/amari/

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/18/2008 2:11:46 PM

Date: 4/18/2008 1:58:42 PM

18.gif

Thanks SO much Dia-gem!!! I''ll take a look at the Bandara. Is there a part of the island you''d really really recommend over another?

And geesh...I''d love to stay at the Four Seasons...that was my first love, but their prices are WAY out of our range. We''re willing to spend a pretty penny (esp. considering it''s Thailand) but not that much!.

So, is it worth it to spend a night in Koh Tao instead of going to the Marine Park? FI is not a huge snorkler, but I love it...
Koh Tao is a great little island (Turtle island)..., very down to earth (great partying and affordable)..., and great waters..., Koh Nanyuan is a 10 min "long tail boat" ride (which you take from the resort''s beach) to a perfect snorkeling experience!! Highly recommended!
I would do that 100 times over the marine park! (but I am an addicted diver...)

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Ooooh, the Bandara looks awesome! Aaargh, now I''m ''homesick'' for KS. Scarlett, you''re gonna have an awesome time!

Yes, I (will) have a LM/ERD cushion ring. Hopefully, I''ll get to see it soon before I go a little
37.gif
!

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/18/2008 2:36:16 PM
Ooooh, the Bandara looks awesome! Aaargh, now I''m ''homesick'' for KS. Scarlett, you''re gonna have an awesome time!

Yes, I (will) have a LM/ERD cushion ring. Hopefully, I''ll get to see it soon before I go a little
37.gif
!
Hope you don''t think I''m crazy, but I got curious so I went back to see what you chose! GORGEOUS!!!! Love love love the setting you chose! And, I think I might have saw your stone when I was at Mark''s! I only saw 1 4-pav but it was the same size you mentioned...it was also amazing.
30.gif

So, is there a reason your BF is holding your ring hostage...b/c that''s totally against PS rules!!!

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Of course I don't think you're crazy... unless I'm crazy too! I do it all the time. And thanks for the compliment; I hope it looks as good as I envision it. BF totally pretends he doesn't know what I'm talking about when I ask if the ring 'looks good'.
I wonder if you saw my stone or if it was cushionlove's. We have the same stats and I believe she bought hers after mine. We should start an ERD thread in SMTR!

I don't think there's a specific reason why my ring is held hostage (I like that
31.gif
) except that BF is probably waiting for the 'right moment'. I thought it would have happened by now but some unforeseen events occured at BF's place of work ("infamous" bank in midtown) in March that are still unresolved. He's been spending his weekends preparing for interviews just in case... I just gotta be patient
12.gif
'cause I know he's under a lot of stress.

Anyways, enough of the threadjack; I wanna talk about honemoons! What's the weather supposed to be like in September?

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
So the weather, I think, is supposed to be the opposite of the rest of Thailand''s monsoon seasons...so I think the same weather you had for you trip in June. I''m SUPER excited...it''s like a combined honeymoon and post-bar exam trip for me!

Just wanted to chime in to say I''m so excited for your trip - I loved Thailand! Chang Mai was actually my favorite - so much to do! Hiking trails, great jewelry shopping, cooking classes. I heard there is a gorgeous Mandarin Oriental hotel there, so maybe check that out (I stayed in cheapo places while I was there, sadly!)

The Peninsula is awesome and I bet you will LOVE staying there!

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/18/2008 10:55:00 PM
Author: Future Mrs Polka Dot
Just wanted to chime in to say I''m so excited for your trip - I loved Thailand! Chang Mai was actually my favorite - so much to do! Hiking trails, great jewelry shopping, cooking classes. I heard there is a gorgeous Mandarin Oriental hotel there, so maybe check that out (I stayed in cheapo places while I was there, sadly!)

And if you are lucky..., maybe even tour one of many Diamond cutting facilities there....
12.gif

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/19/2008 1:50:13 AM

And if you are lucky..., maybe even tour one of many Diamond cutting facilities there....
12.gif

Dia-Gem-

TELL ME MORE!!!
11.gif

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks FMPD - we''re really excited. We think we''re not going to do super high end in Chiang Mai so that we can REALLY splurge in Koh Samui. But I''ll check out the Mandarin anyway just for fun!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results