shape
carat
color
clarity

*calling gypsy, etc* need help deciding on custom design

kdoll

Rough_Rock
I lost my engagement ring and now I'm looking to replace it. I loved my original ring but I had it for a few years and I'm only looking at going for something different because so many ppl seem to have that style now, but I do love the clean design and the high polish shine and sparkle. Halos have started to catch my eye, but I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for b/c they all seem to have a lot of pave and designs, etc. and that isn't my style.

The inspiration for my design:
My original ring was a high polish four prong channel setting, with a princess cut 1 crt center stone, shoulders 0.45 crts with a euro shank. I found a pic online that closely resembled my original ring and attached it so you could see the style I like. I really loved my ring b/c of the "clean" look. I don't like pave and millgrain and other designs on the band, I feel it is too busy and takes away from the sparkle of the center stone. I prefer a more modern look with smooth high polish metal. I want to stay true to my original ring and just add something to it to make it more unique.

Ring 1 idea:
Basically I would like to keep the exact same ring style as my original and just add a halo to it. I would like the halo to be made from baguette diamonds and I was considering having a round brilliant in each corner to help round off the corners of the halo and have baguettes on the sides of the halo, with there only being 4 rounds and 4 baguettes. I like the shape of this halo and feel the style would soften the corners instead of following the princess shape. Then the band would be princess cut channel setting, 4 diamonds on each side, like my original, with a euro shank made with 18 k white gold. I would like it to be all smooth metal.

Question: is that possible with the RB in the corners? will the RB throw me off?

Ring 2 idea:
My other idea was to have the halo with all baguettes. I just came across this pic on here today that is basically what I was thinking for the halo. I've been looking at a lot of rings online and realized that I like the "art deco" style, without any millgrain, etc. I described my idea to James Allen last week and they said they could make a design with specially cut baguettes and traps in the corners. The total carat weight would be approximately 1.72. The band being the princess channel setting. In 18k white gold, the cost would be $4,375. My budget is 10,000 and I did want to go with a bigger diamond....

Question: thoughts on this design? Should I sacrifice the diamond size for this setting? Is this a good price for this setting? Is there a way to bring the cost down but still keep the look?

Ring 3 idea:
Lastly I just came across this ring online and I do really like this design b/c its a lot like my original ring and it has the clean look I love but is a little more unique. I wouldn't want the diamonds to go all around the band. JA informed me that they cannot actually replicate that pattern, as it is actually a Canturi design, and it becomes a legal issue. I have asked them if they can modify it so that it is not an issue and I'm waiting to hear back from them.

Question: Should I stay more towards this design b/c its a safer bet that I will like it?

FYI:

My finger is a size 5.

I do want a princess cut center diamond and was thinking 1.3-1.5 carats.

I was thinking, H- I color, I care more about the sparkle of the diamond then the color

Clarity VS2- VS1.

My budget is 10,000.00 in total for the ring setting and the diamond. I live in Newfoundland, Canada and would have to pay extra taxes on top of this, so I'm trying to not go over.

The settings sparkle is the most important to me but I like more "solid-clean" sparkle then a lot of small tiny sparkles, if that makes sense.

I'm really torn. :confused: Its hard to know if I really like a halo setting b/c all the ones I have tried had a lot of micro pave, etc. I like them to look at or on other ppl but when I try on halo with a lot of detailing its not me.

Please give me your feedback on my design ideas? What direction should I go? Any other online jewelers I should contact?

original_4.jpg

ring_idea_1.jpg

baguette_1.jpg

ring_idea_0.jpg

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Are you set on a princess cut for the center stone again or would you consider another square type cut? I'm wondering if you wouldn't enjoy an asscher cut since you seem to like clean lines and not a lot of pin fire flash. Asschers have clean fluid lines and big bold flashes and would work really well with some of the design elements you would like to include in your ring. Food for thought! ;))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, first of all, with apologies to JA, that isn't on the usual list for a custom ring. Engagement Rings Direct might be a good choice for you.

I do not like baguettes with a princess center. Princess cuts are modern and just do not go with art deco styling at all, in my opinion. I think more of Ritani halos for princess cuts, although I am not sure if they make a cut corner version. I'm just saying that the baguettes do not fit style wise with your center princess and princess stones in the shank. I think you need brilliant cuts in your halo.
I'll need to look to see if there are any examples.

(Just saw Christina's post..and yes, an asscher center goes better with a baguette halo.)

Okay, Ritani does make some cut corner halos. But I will tell you that there is kind of a design disconnect when you don't have the shank and halo matching. I cannot see a wide shank with princess cuts with a halo of rounds, personally. These have thinner shanks that compliment the halo size.

http://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/search-for-engagement-rings?sortOrder=asc&sortField=style_rank&page=2&search%5Bstyle%5D=Halo&search%5Bshape%5D=PR%7CAS&search%5Bmetal%5D=18kt+White+Gold&from_price=235&to_price=8240&sorting=Ritani+Favorites&showAll=1

I am still looking, though.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1368283817|3444900 said:
Well, first of all, with apologies to JA, that isn't on the usual list for a custom ring. Engagement Rings Direct might be a good choice for you.

I do not like baguettes with a princess center. Princess cuts are modern and just do not go with art deco styling at all, in my opinion. I think more of Ritani halos for princess cuts, although I am not sure if they make a cut corner version. I'm just saying that the baguettes do not fit style wise with your center princess and princess stones in the shank. I think you need brilliant cuts in your halo.
I'll need to look to see if there are any examples.

(Just saw Christina's post..and yes, an asscher center goes better with a baguette halo.)

Okay, Ritani does make some cut corner halos. But I will tell you that there is kind of a design disconnect when you don't have the shank and halo matching. I cannot see a wide shank with princess cuts with a halo of rounds, personally. These have thinner shanks that compliment the halo size.

http://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/search-for-engagement-rings?sortOrder=asc&sortField=style_rank&page=2&search%5Bstyle%5D=Halo&search%5Bshape%5D=PR%7CAS&search%5Bmetal%5D=18kt+White+Gold&from_price=235&to_price=8240&sorting=Ritani+Favorites&showAll=1

I am still looking, though.

I agree with DS, I also think that a beautiful square shaped antique cushion could be a nice option for you, maybe not with some of the setting pics you posted, but we could help find you something that would be reminiscent of your original ering but a bit different at the same time.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree bezel is the way to go to keep clean lines of a square or cut corner stone. Hers one luvsdmb posted. Maybe she will chime in as to where she found it.

uploadfromtaptalk1368285463974.jpg

kdoll

Rough_Rock
In response to diamondseeker2006 1st post.....

Thanks for your feed back, I was looking at JA b/c also need to purchase a diamond and I read on the "truth about diamonds" that there "virtual loop" is a good way to see what your getting. I'm new to this and there is so much info out there it overwhelming! I didn't do much research for my original ring and just bought from a local jeweler. Since I lost my ring and begin this process I realized I was overcharged and that's why I'm looking to buy online. But I'm really not sure on who too purchase from.

I looked at the link you posted and its the micro pave of these styles that is just not for me.

kdoll

Rough_Rock
Christina...|1368283664|3444898 said:
Are you set on a princess cut for the center stone again or would you consider another square type cut? I'm wondering if you wouldn't enjoy an asscher cut since you seem to like clean lines and not a lot of pin fire flash. Asschers have clean fluid lines and big bold flashes and would work really well with some of the design elements you would like to include in your ring. Food for thought! ;))

I want to stick with princess b/c my fiancé would like me to get the exact same ring as I had before and so its kind of a compromise. and also for sentimental reasons.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kdoll|1368286344|3444918 said:
Thanks for your feed back, I was looking at JA b/c also need to purchase a diamond and I read on the "truth about diamonds" that there "virtual loop" is a good way to see what your getting. I'm new to this and there is so much info out there it overwhelming! I didn't do much research for my original ring and just bought from a local jeweler. Since I lost my ring and begin this process I realized I was overcharged and that's why I'm looking to buy online. But I'm really not sure on who too purchase from.

I looked at the link you posted and its the micro pave of these styles that is just not for me.

Well first are you going for another princess? Sorry of I missed if you said....because there are other square stones. I think with a baguette halo a step cut would be most attractive. Do that with an assher and I think it would be something really special. Just my opinion though. A princess would be nice too. :))

Eta sorry just saw that post.

kdoll

Rough_Rock
Christina...|1368284754|3444906 said:
Do you think that you could be happy with a halo like this?

http://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/halo-micropave-diamond-band-engagement-ring-in-18kt-white-gold/4620

From what you are describing, I'm thinking that a bezel halo to really exaggerate the clean lines of the stone (princess or asscher, whatever you are to choose) and to give you a more polished look that you like, might be a good option. Pair the bezel halo with a channel set shank with bright polished metal...???

That could be an option. One thing that I didn't like about my original ring was that the prongs hitched some of my clothing. A new dress would be ruined after one wear. But I did like the look of the prongs and had decided on them over bezel. will the bezel setting take away from the center stone or make it appear smaller by boxing it in?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
what do you think of this? maybe with baguettes on the shank instead of round melee?

_6227.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i know this is a step cut again, but seems like that stone just lends itself well to baguette halos... but i think its a Daniel K, and its really pretty. But anyway i posted it because no i do not think a bezel makes a stone smaller, i hade one and i actually find it made it look bigger!

maybe a compromise with a"princess of hearts" :wink2: , still a princess...

_6228.jpg

kdoll

Rough_Rock
Niel|1368287412|3444925 said:
what do you think of this? maybe with baguettes on the shank instead of round melee?

This is actually one of the pics I sent to JA to describe what I was looking for. I wanted to see what it would be like with just 4 RB in the corner and baguettes on the side and I like the idea of baguettes on the shank.

kdoll

Rough_Rock
Niel|1368287743|3444929 said:
i know this is a step cut again, but seems like that stone just lends itself well to baguette halos... but i think its a Daniel K, and its really pretty. But anyway i posted it because no i do not think a bezel makes a stone smaller, i hade one and i actually find it made it look bigger!

maybe a compromise with a"princess of hearts" :wink2: , still a princess...

Good to know! Thanks for your feedback Niel!! I like the pics your posting! I'm actually not familiar with a "princess of hearts" diamond.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kdoll|1368287823|3444930 said:

This is actually one of the pics I sent to JA to describe what I was looking for. I wanted to see what it would be like with just 4 RB in the corner and baguettes on the side and I like the idea of baguettes on the shank.

i actually think if your going with a princess that would be more attractive with those corners than without. It would create a nice cut corner shape but while still flattering the shape of the princess... what do you think of this, either with those square sapphires turned to diamond, or using long baguettes isntead, and of course, more modern, less vintage :D like maybe a mix of this with the first ring I posted....
_5173.jpg

kdoll

Rough_Rock
Niel|1368288230|3444932 said:
kdoll|1368287823|3444930 said:

i actually think if your going with a princess that would be more attractive with those corners than without. It would create a nice cut corner shape but while still flattering the shape of the princess... what do you think of this, either with those square sapphires turned to diamond, or using long baguettes isntead, and of course, more modern, less vintage :D like maybe a mix of this with the first ring I posted....
_5173.jpg

I see what your saying about the corners on the Tacori ring being flattering for the princess shape but still cutting the corners to keep it softer.

I find the halo of the ring with square sapphires too wide. I would def go with longer baguettes here if I was to go with that style.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, the halo could benefit from being thinner, so a baguette would be really nice! But I agree that style would be nice for a princess in a halo.

kdoll

Rough_Rock
Christina...|1368290344|3444944 said:

Thanks Christina, I looked through all the pics and of course the rings that attracted me are designs that resemble my original. lol maybe I should just forget about the halo and just get them same ring. I don't feel satisfied with doing that though at this point. Maybe if I have CAD images done up of the halo design that would help me decide... I just have my heart set on my ring being more unique.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Out of the house right now... promise to post thoughts later.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
there is a baguette halo with rounds in the corner. will find for you later. I also agree with ascher suggestions bit square radiant might work too. promise to post later.

kdoll

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1368306803|3445054 said:
there is a baguette halo with rounds in the corner. will find for you later. I also agree with ascher suggestions bit square radiant might work too. promise to post later.

great!! looking forward to hearing your suggestions!

kdoll

Rough_Rock
Just came across this, "Art deco sapphire ring" on pinterest!! Maybe a baguette halo with a princess center wouldn't look so bad after all

4ec795002c8dd089af83ce234208bd22.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
John! Would you have side stones like that too??

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kdoll|1368309299|3445075 said:
Just came across this, "Art deco sapphire ring" on pinterest!!

WOW. What a knockout!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results