Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling crafty people!

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I hope this section is okay for this... It's not shopping persay so I wasn't sure if it belonged in there it not.

But here goes. I have a small dilemma! I am working on creating my own marbled vanity stand tray. I opened the box of tile and noticed both peices had chips around the edges. I think Home Depot even sent me the wrong tile entirely as well but I kept it because I had already waited 2 weeks already and this was closer to matching the patterning on our fireplace anyway.

So does anyone happen to have any ideas on how I could either 1) get rid of the chips entirely without having to cut the tile or 2) hiding the chips instead? I was considering trying to see if I could get some sort of metal border but I would rather not have to add anything if I don't have to. I think it would look better without it.

Tartansparkles

Shiny_Rock
My first thought was to hide the chips possibly with grout - but I was thinking you were tiling with the tiles and on re-reading, I've misunderstood. What's a vanity stand tray? And of course, you can't call crafy folks and not provide pictures =)2

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
My first thought was to hide the chips possibly with grout - but I was thinking you were tiling with the tiles and on re-reading, I've misunderstood. What's a vanity stand tray? And of course, you can't call crafy folks and not provide pictures =)2
Haha OK so this is my tile piece. I have little feet underneath not shown.
Most DIY's of this nature have little handles on top. It's the same as a perfume tray. Am I allowed to post some pictures of other trays here?

For mine I just went with feet so it stands up instead of having handles. But anyway you can see all the little flea bite chips there on the sides i don't know how to hide or fix. There may even be a crack in the bottom but i am overlooking that because I don't plan on putting wet or heavy items on top of it anyway. Not sure if maybe my husband could hack off a couple inches off the long end at some point?

20200924_142320.jpg

Tartansparkles

Shiny_Rock
Could you maybe 'sand' the chips with something like a dremmel? And then convince yourself that since the marble came from the earth, these are part of its natural flaws? I have hand cut mosaic tiles (I think they are limestone) and they are very chipped - but smooth chips, if that makes sense, around the edges.

MamaBee

Ideal_Rock
Haha OK so this is my tile piece. I have little feet underneath not shown.
Most DIY's of this nature have little handles on top. It's the same as a perfume tray. Am I allowed to post some pictures of other trays here?

For mine I just went with feet so it stands up instead of having handles. But anyway you can see all the little flea bite chips there on the sides i don't know how to hide or fix. There may even be a crack in the bottom but i am overlooking that because I don't plan on putting wet or heavy items on top of it anyway. Not sure if maybe my husband could hack off a couple inches off the long end at some point?

20200924_142320.jpg
I can’t tell if it’s a honed or glass finish. If it’s a honed finish you can take a new emery board and lightly sand it to smooth it out so it doesn’t feel rough..You can also use very fine sandpaper making sure you keep it only on the chip.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Could you maybe 'sand' the chips with something like a dremmel? And then convince yourself that since the marble came from the earth, these are part of its natural flaws? I have hand cut mosaic tiles (I think they are limestone) and they are very chipped - but smooth chips, if that makes sense, around the edges.
Hmm I can ask my husband when he comes home! That might be a possibility! If it was smoother I think I could be less cranky about it for sure!

I can’t tell if it’s a honed or glass finish. If it’s a honed finish you can take a new emery board and lightly sand it to smooth it out so it doesn’t feel rough..You can also use very fine sandpaper making sure you keep it only on the chip.
I am pretty sure it's polished :( it's not the specific tile I ordered so it's hard to tell. It looks shiney compared to my soap dish though. That looks more brushed in texture. I wonder if taking an emery board to the sides would still be a good idea since those are the parts that bother me?

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Diamond Station Tennis Bracelet
    Diamond Station Tennis Bracelet
    What is PriceScope?
    What is PriceScope?
    What is Diamond Color?
    What is Diamond Color?

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.