shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling Cartier Tank owners. Advice needed.

Scarlett1

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all, I have come into a bit of unexpected money (woo hoo !!!) and have decided to buy myself a nice watch (as well as a family trip to disneyland :appl: )
Turns out I have been on the wrong salary scale for the last 6 years so will be getting a nice bit of pay back :naughty:
I have been admiring all the beautiful watches posted on the show me your luxury watches thread and have decided to go for one of the cartier tanks. I have narrowed it down to either the tank solo or the tank francaise. I have been in touch with a jeweller in Dublin who sells Cartier watches. He also has a selection of pre owned watches. Of the tanks he has a small two tone francaise, which I love the look of in pictures which is the same price as a new solo. My budget could stretch to a new mid size francaise but wondering is it worth the price difference over the pre owned small francaise or tank solo.
I was just wondering how did you choose which tank to go for. Are there drastic differences between the solo and the francaise. What do you think is the best option, a new solo/francaise or pre owned two tone francaise?
I am going in on Thursday to try them all on so looking forward to that.
Thanking you all in advance,
Scarlett

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I honestly think when you try them on you will know immediately which one you prefer. I ALWAYS wanted a tank but then when I tried one on in the store I found it a bit lackluster for me. Instead I was 100% in love with the roadster which had previously held zero appeal to me. So my advice is try on the watches and see which one you see yourself wearing.

Congrats on unexpected money!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I have the two-tone Tank in the smaller size (which I chose because I'm petite). I would definitely recommend it to anyone. It's such a classic, elegant watch - and it keeps time (unlike my Rolex)!!! There's certainly nothing wrong with a pre-owned timepiece, so if you find one that you like, I'd say go for it.

gemmyblond

Shiny_Rock
I totally agree with the above posters - try them on and you'll know pretty quickly which you prefer!

That's what I did; ended up with the smaller two-tone TF with the peachy-rose MOP dial. I love it and it's been my go-to watch for many years now - works with everything and is super-comfy to wear, not too heavy. I love the shape and size of it on my wrist. Never had any problems with it either.
Over the years, I've tried on most of the other models but haven't found another that I've liked better for daily wear.
Hope you have fun coming to a decision!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I liked the midsize Tank Francaise on me. I felt like it would stand the test of time while big watches are in fashion and later on if trends go back to smaller watches. That was the primary reason I went with the midsize aside from the obvious fact that it is easier to see the time as my eyes get older!

I did try on several Cartier watches. I felt like the TF had an appearance of finer quality than the Solo. Of course it should, since it costs more! It also has a slightly curved case whereas the Solo was more flat. I loved the Ballon Bleu as well. But I went with the Tank because it is perhaps the most iconic Cartier watch.

You can't really make a bad decision. They are all lovely! Congrats on the unexpected money! That is pretty rare!

GeorgeStevens

Shiny_Rock
This might not be the right forum for this thread, but here goes. Definitely try them on and ask a few people their opinion without divulging which you prefer. A few months ago Mrs. Stevens had her heart set on the small tank but everyone (including me) said to go for the medium size, which she finally did and now wears it daily.

We found Dublin and London both a bit expensive for watches when we looked, even considering the VAT return for Americans. It might be worth checking prices in America, the Caribbean, Dubai, or Hong Kong if you'll be there any time and are concerned about stretching your euros.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Before I bought my first Rolex, I nearly bought the Tank Americanne....since I prefer the rectangular face. But that is a preference...just like what you will find what you like. Seeing and trying on is believing! And I agree with another who mentioned about the appearance of the Solo...it doesn't look as "chic" as many other the other models.

Happy Shopping!

P.S. I would only consider a preowned watch if it had the original box/papers and records of repair from Cartier.

cheers--Sharon

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will have to agree that the sales people I spoke with strongly recommended the midsize. I imagine it is because many women are going in and buying the men's sizes, so the midsize is actually small in comparison to those!

Oh, and also, the face of the "small" Solo is actually larger than the midsize (medium) TF!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
I've tried these two watches on many times trying to decide myself (and am actually now leaning towards a preowned Panthere). I love the additional heft of the Francaise and much prefer it's bracelet to the Solo. I think the Solo looks young and fresh on the leather band. Both are gorgeous. If I go with a Tank when the time comes, I'd probably lean towards getting the Francaise because I want this piece to last a very long time and it seems slightly more classic. The Solo seems slightly more of the moment.

I totally agree that trying them on will be very helpful! How fun to have a windfall!

Scarlett1

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you everyone for your replies. I tried on a number of watches today and fell totally head over heals in love with the ballon bleu 36mm (mid size) :love:
SB621 said:
I honestly think when you try them on you will know immediately which one you prefer.!
SB, that was exactly the case, as soon as I put on the ballon it 'bleu' the others out of the water for me :D
The small tank francaise just didn't suit me at all and the solo just didn't sit right, if that makes sense, and I wasn't too keen on the bracelet either. I did adore the two tone 18kt gold and steel mid size francaise. Very elegant and pretty, but I just kept going back to the ballon, I couldn't stop staring at it :loopy:
GeorgeStevens said:
This might not be the right forum for this thread, but here goes. Definitely try them on and ask a few people their opinion without divulging which you prefer. A few months ago Mrs. Stevens had her heart set on the small tank but everyone (including me) said to go for the medium size, which she finally did and now wears it daily.We found Dublin and London both a bit expensive for watches when we looked, even considering the VAT return for Americans. It might be worth checking prices in America, the Caribbean, Dubai, or Hong Kong if you'll be there any time and are concerned about stretching your euros.
Thanks George, yes am not sure this is the right forum at all, should prob have posted in jewellery pieces :razz:
Dublin is extremely pricey when it comes to all jewellery and watches are no exception. The watch I'm after is €1500 cheaper on the cartier French website so I'm going to look around before I buy. Unfortunately don't have any of your mentioned destinations on the cards anytime soon (I wish ;-) ) so will just look about online for a while.
diamondseeker2006 said:
I liked the midsize Tank Francaise on me. I felt like it would stand the test of time !
Diamondseeker, that is exactly how I felt when I tried on the midsize TF, it is such a classic elegant piece, but I was so drawn to the ballon.
Well I'm probably going to order from the cartier website. Am going to mull it over with DH and then make a decision. Will keep you posted and thanks again to all who replied :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results