shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all JA Lab Stud Ladies!

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
I finally received my replacement 0.75ctw studs! The settings are straight! The stones are well cut! But they're also included. :cry:

The 0.5ctw pair and other two 0.75.ctw pairs I had were so clean when looped, I couldn't see a thing. On these, one has a couple black carbon spots and the other has several needles, including one across the table. I can see them with the naked eye from close up now that I know they are there.

Has anyone else looped their JA studs? Just wondering how your stones look from a clarity perspective. This isn't necessarily a deal breaker but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a bummer after everything. I paid for VS stones, not sure if it makes them SI if I can see them with the naked eye?

I'm sorry, everyone probably thinks I'm crazy constantly posting about these studs. I know if I want perfect I have to buy ACA's!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Received my 0.5tcw studs yesterday (See show me the bling thread). I have not louped them, but I used my magnifying glass and they look eye lean to this old lady’s eyes. In fact I could detect clear arrows, and no dark inclusions....

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
I’m so sorry for the hassle this has become @Decision_Decisions

I bought two pairs of the JA lab studs but didn’t loupe them. They were gifts and looked good to my eyes, which was good enough for the purpose.

I hope you’re able to feel resolution, whatever form it takes. No one will be looking that closely at them; I imagine they still sparkle nicely when you look in the mirror. But I totally understand how you’d feel bummed.

ThiaChelf

Shiny_Rock
I have 0.50 ctw and 0.25 ctw. I have 3 pairs of the 0.25 ctw but one pair is going to my oldest dd for Christmas. The other two pairs I wear in my 3rd and 4th piercings. I've louped them all, and they're all eye clean and I would say VS quality like they are supposed to be. That stinks though, and I'd be disappointed too. Hope you get it figured out to your satisfaction.

Buttercookies

Brilliant_Rock
I’m so sorry to hear this. How about just returning them and get another one? I hear it’s pretty random with those preset studs.

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone for the comments! I'm definitely keeping them, they're so sparkly and the perfect size for my ears. It would have been nice to tick every box but if I had to pick I'd prefer the amazing cut and straight posts to little tiny inclusions. I do know they are there but no one else ever would, even with the naked eye (well, maybe a PS'r could pick them out from a few inches away!).

The only remaining problem is that they totally outshine my poor quality mined solitaire pendant. So a lab upgrade for that that will likely be my next obsession!!

ThiaChelf

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone for the comments! I'm definitely keeping them, they're so sparkly and the perfect size for my ears. It would have been nice to tick every box but if I had to pick I'd prefer the amazing cut and straight posts to little tiny inclusions. I do know they are there but no one else ever would, even with the naked eye (well, maybe a PS'r could pick them out from a few inches away!).

The only remaining problem is that they totally outshine my poor quality mined solitaire pendant. So a lab upgrade for that that will likely be my next obsession!!

That's awesome! I'm with you great cut can hide a lot! I'm also with you on the pendant.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @Decision_Decisions , I'm sorry to hear that the clarity is not as good as before. What are your thoughts on color? I see they are listed as F/G on the website. Do they look white and bright to you?

Did you find that some of the JA studs were cut better than others? I am asking because I might be interested in a 1.5 ctw pair. Would you recommend calling James Allen and asking them specifically for a pair with good light return? Thanks!

ThiaChelf

Shiny_Rock
@OdetteOdile I've bought a number of pairs in varying sizes and haven't had any issues with mine at all. I've heard some psers have called JA but I never did and still got fiery earrings with excellent light return. .

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
@OdetteOdile I've bought a number of pairs in varying sizes and haven't had any issues with mine at all. I've heard some psers have called JA but I never did and still got fiery earrings with excellent light return. .

wow, this is tempting...

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I have a pair of .5ctw and I love them! One stone has some darker inclusions near a prong but they are otherwise pretty clear. They are only small stones however so with larger ones, any inclusion might be more apparent.

I chose the VS2-SI1 option but if you chose the grade above then I'd query them about the inclusions and ask for a new set. Maybe they mistakenly sent you the grade below?

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
I have a pair of .5ctw and I love them! One stone has some darker inclusions near a prong but they are otherwise pretty clear. They are only small stones however so with larger ones, any inclusion might be more apparent.

I chose the VS2-SI1 option but if you chose the grade above then I'd query them about the inclusions and ask for a new set. Maybe they mistakenly sent you the grade below?

Strange, I only see FG color and VS clarity for the lab stone preset earrings options. Either way though, I've decided to keep them and love them the way they are!

ThiaChelf

Shiny_Rock
Strange, I only see FG color and VS clarity for the lab stone preset earrings options. Either way though, I've decided to keep them and love them the way they are!

She may have been referring to the natural stone preset studs. They give options for color and clarity. Lab created ones are just FG and VS

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
When I see the 3 different options for studs on James Allen they list Great Value (earth created H-I/SI), Best Quality (earth created F-G/VS), and Lab Created (F-G/VS). But then once I click on Lab Created and it takes you to a screen to select metal, at that point it says Lab-Created F-G/VS2-SI1. So I think it is kind of confusing.

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
Hi @Decision_Decisions , I'm sorry to hear that the clarity is not as good as before. What are your thoughts on color? I see they are listed as F/G on the website. Do they look white and bright to you?

Did you find that some of the JA studs were cut better than others? I am asking because I might be interested in a 1.5 ctw pair. Would you recommend calling James Allen and asking them specifically for a pair with good light return? Thanks!

The color looks bright white to me! My mined stones are all in the I-K range and these are definitely whiter. I feel like these may have the tiniest hint of blue but I can't really tell if that's just compared to yellower stones. Definitely not something I would notice if I wasn't comparing them side by side though.

I'm really not sure you could call and request well cut stones from the get go. I was only able to because my first pair had bent posts and my second pair wasn't as well cut as what I originally had. Since I had specifically requested to get the same stones back and that's not what I received, I complained. I would think you'd have to take your chances first, then maybe make a request if you wanted to exchange. The turn process is easy (although quite long for repairs/exchanges).

monipod

Brilliant_Rock

Strange indeed. I had to recheck because I couldn't remember the options. For .5ctw, I had three grades to choose from. I'm glad you love them! I'm super pleased with the overall quality of my studs.

GoldenTouch

Shiny_Rock
Mine are at the depot for delivery but they are not open until Monday - or I would go & get them.
I wonder if they will be open really early Monday so I could collect instead....?

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AE9E7DC5-B35D-4008-89AB-A4D9B9464284.jpeg F7F5C963-6D23-4C0B-B8E0-2F2A93D5CD23.jpeg

They arrived today. Very happy with them. I don’t think I could of gone bigger. I don’t have much earlobe realestate.
Those look great! What size are they?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results