shape
carat
color
clarity

calculating calories burned during exercise?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
OK, so I know not to trust the counters on exercising machines but how do we calculate calories burned otherwise. What about during a cardio session? Thanks :)

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I''d Google "calorie calculator". There are a lot of sites that will help you figure out calories based on how long you''re been working out and most of these sites have different levels of intensity as well. I try a couple of those sites and kind of average the results.

I get the average results for the activities I use the most, then just kind of estimate. I say about 100 calories per mile (run or walked) and about 500 calories per hour for bike riding. I''m sure they''re not accurate at all, so I will usually subtract about 20% just to low ball it. I guess I''d rather undercount so I don''t use it as an excuse to eat more.

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/17/2010 5:32:04 PM
Author: elrohwen
I''d Google ''calorie calculator''. There are a lot of sites that will help you figure out calories based on how long you''re been working out and most of these sites have different levels of intensity as well. I try a couple of those sites and kind of average the results.

I get the average results for the activities I use the most, then just kind of estimate. I say about 100 calories per mile (run or walked) and about 500 calories per hour for bike riding. I''m sure they''re not accurate at all, so I will usually subtract about 20% just to low ball it. I guess I''d rather undercount so I don''t use it as an excuse to eat more.
Thanks elrohwen! I have been counting a mile as 100 calories too. It is the workouts that I have a hard time gauging calories burned.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I have a Polar HR moniter which gives me a pretty good estimate of calories burned based off of my HR. It was honestly a bit surprising by the #''s at times. Also with SparkPeople - they have AWESOME calorie counters and their calorie counters are not as calorie friendly as are machines which use 150 # men as their baseline.

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
I am definitely looking into the polar HR monitors. Thanks
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results