shape
carat
color
clarity

CAD Review

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
So excited to be working with DK on my ring! This is the initial CAD they sent over. Thoughts? Suggestions? I think it looks pretty good but this is my first custom design experience. Thanks for any advice or tips!
AA7F9F87-6F91-4B12-8E0E-A7D92BA53456.jpeg

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
After looking at it quite a bit, I do have a slight concern about the spacing of the basket “petals.” And the unfinished petal where the band comes up on each side. Definitely more challenging than I thought it would be to visualize a final ring from a CAD.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you tell us a little bit about what you want from the ring, so we can know what to look for to talk about?

Is the basket going to have milgrain?

A band won't sit quite flush with it, which may or may not matter to you. The gap will be very small, but they could bump the donut out more and get you even less of a gap if you want that. The tradeoff would be that the ring will be higher off the finger.

What is it you're worried about with the spacing of the petals? They look good to me?

I wouldn't worry about the petal where the cathedral part of the band is - most of my rings with petal baskets have less or nothing there, and I assure you it is not noticeable, especially in normal wear.

Even less petal:

9CE2992A-2A43-4AAA-B7B4-EBADE89971AF.jpeg

No petal (design by Elle at The Gemstone Project but manufactured by DK - petal shape looks pretty similar to yours but the kites are flipped so they're longer on the top than the bottom):

fullsizerender__5__2.jpg

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
I‘m still torn about milgrain, but I have never worn a wedding band because of the shape of my engagement ring, so I don’t plan to with this ring either. So, mainly, I wanted a halo that wasn’t just round, so I really like the pears at the compass points. And I like a full basket, but I haven’t been able to find many examples of those two things together. I guess my concern is it will look like a Frankenstein ring? These two rings were my main inspiration.
0EFD6B50-DAC7-49CC-BCF1-A150964F9B49.jpeg
AB3D1106-9271-4432-A918-519FC6B3F226.jpeg h

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
Can you tell us a little bit about what you want from the ring, so we can know what to look for to talk about?

Is the basket going to have milgrain?

A band won't sit quite flush with it, which may or may not matter to you. The gap will be very small, but they could bump the donut out more and get you even less of a gap if you want that. The tradeoff would be that the ring will be higher off the finger.

What is it you're worried about with the spacing of the petals? They look good to me?

I wouldn't worry about the petal where the cathedral part of the band is - most of my rings with petal baskets have less or nothing there, and I assure you it is not noticeable, especially in normal wear.

Even less petal:

9CE2992A-2A43-4AAA-B7B4-EBADE89971AF.jpeg

No petal (design by Elle at The Gemstone Project but manufactured by DK - petal shape looks pretty similar to yours but the kites are flipped so they're longer on the top than the bottom):

fullsizerender__5__2.jpg

I think the last one is really pretty! I’m not tied to any super specific design, I just want it to have a pretty, not boring, basket and gave a cohesive design. :kiss2:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the basket is fine. Just be clear if you want them to be sharp kites or rounded petals.

My concerns is that the pears are oriented to expose their most fragile part -- the tips. Would you consider adding bezels to just those four stones? Kinda like these.

1574026390326.png

1574026427807.png

In the TGP ring posted above, she used rounds in the points and the actual points were created be a perimeter rim, so the stones were at far less risk.
1574026703092.png

1574026655152.png

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: pears, idk that they'll really be at much risk. If concerned, use V-prongs rather than regular. I have V-prongs on all my pointed stones, for instance the pink pear above and this:

I also feel that V-prongs better emphasize the pear shape. For diamonds, I don't think you need to really worry about the points being damaged, and if they are, those smaller ones are inexpensive to replace.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: pears, idk that they'll really be at much risk. If concerned, use V-prongs rather than regular. I have V-prongs on all my pointed stones, for instance the pink pear above and this:

C10C0E11-3CF9-428D-928C-E4C1DD4336A1.jpeg

I also feel that V-prongs better emphasize the pear shape. For diamonds, I don't think you need to really worry about the points being damaged, and if they are, those smaller ones are inexpensive to replace.

Fair point. The V-prong when done as nicely as yours, look great.

I'm probably more sensitive because I managed to break the tip off a vintage pear diamond. {and chipped the girdle on my OEC. I really should not be allowed nice things...LOL} :oops:

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
Y'all, thank you so much for the input!

I think the basket is fine. Just be clear if you want them to be sharp kites or rounded petals.

My concerns is that the pears are oriented to expose their most fragile part -- the tips. Would you consider adding bezels to just those four stones? Kinda like these.

1574026390326.png

1574026427807.png

In the TGP ring posted above, she used rounds in the points and the actual points were created be a perimeter rim, so the stones were at far less risk.
1574026703092.png

1574026655152.png

I adore those rings, I leaned away from a bezel set with the milgrain details because my current ring is platinum and all bezel set with milgrain and antique details. So I wanted something different since I plan to alternate rings depending on the metal of my other jewelry. I also worried about the overall ring getting too large. The stone is larger than what I originally intended to have and at over 3 carats, I don’t want it to be larger than my finger. I was open to either larger round with the prongs making the “points” but DK thought the pears would pop more and I do think I’m in love with having a teeny bit of fancy shaped diamonds on it.

C10C0E11-3CF9-428D-928C-E4C1DD4336A1.jpeg

V prongs might be perfect! Everything of your’s is so gorgeous!

Fair point. The V-prong when done as nicely as yours, look great.

I'm probably more sensitive because I managed to break the tip off a vintage pear diamond. {and chipped the girdle on my OEC. I really should not be allowed nice things...LOL} :oops:

Oh I feel the same way sometimes! I’ve gotten pretty good at taking my ring off when needed after beating it up for years and plan to force myself to be pretty careful with this ring. Fingers crossed! :shock:

I do want the pear shaped stones and really the entire halo to be pretty small.

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
Does DK always make wax replicas? Or is that something I need to request?

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
I have no useful input, but I just popped in to say I love that #ringbutt. It looks so sleek but intricate at the same time

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
I have no useful input, but I just popped in to say I love that #ringbutt. It looks so sleek but intricate at the same time

You’ve introduced me to a new term and now I love you. :kiss2::lol-2: This entire ring is so different than what I first imagined a year or two ago, but I’ve since discovered my love of ring butts and I didn’t even know what they were called.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
DK will make you a ring mold , but you have to ask. Some here don't ask for them, but I always do! (Sometimes a few as we tweak a design. ) I find it very helpful, especially if you want to see how it looks on your finger.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty inspirations!
There’s some negative connotations with ‘frankenring’ and positive ones, here. I personally don’t think your design ideas fall into the negative category. But that’s just me- to each their own!
You’ve been given some great advice already - there’s only one thing I can point out that hasn’t been mentioned - and again it’s not a right/wrong. Just what you prefer and don’t know if you’ve addressed it already in your thought process. DA7F88E3-8B63-4FFC-BB09-D64A0FB39527.jpeg 530D455C-FD84-4361-9CDF-410EBAAEDA00.jpeg

L

lydial

My only thought on your CAD is that the East / West pear stones visually may disappear into the pave band. So you may visually lose the compass rose look.

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
Pretty inspirations!
There’s some negative connotations with ‘frankenring’ and positive ones, here. I personally don’t think your design ideas fall into the negative category. But that’s just me- to each their own!
You’ve been given some great advice already - there’s only one thing I can point out that hasn’t been mentioned - and again it’s not a right/wrong. Just what you prefer and don’t know if you’ve addressed it already in your thought process. DA7F88E3-8B63-4FFC-BB09-D64A0FB39527.jpeg 530D455C-FD84-4361-9CDF-410EBAAEDA00.jpeg
I do love the more pronounced curve, but I think because of the pear stones, it would look odd to have the one petal sticking out so much further on each side. I think / hope the change is better for the overall design.
My only thought on your CAD is that the East / West pear stones visually may disappear into the pave band. So you may visually lose the compass rose look.
I hope that isn’t the case, it will be gold or rose gold so I *think* the prong on the outside of the pear stones will break it up enough? Fingers crossed. :lol:

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
DK tweaked the design a bit and I feel much better about the petals under the band now. Left top and bottom are original design and right side is the new one. 9056352D-05D4-4BF9-9AB5-F32110BB9C0D.jpeg

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
DK is sending me a plastic model! I’m sending the stone to him soon. :kiss2: I’ll post pictures. I can’t thank y’all enough for the advice and guidance.

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
My plastic model came almost right after I posted! I was only able to take one pic before I packed up the diamond to send. My parents are also visiting and were scooting me out of the house so I didn’t get to stare at it for as long as I was hoping to or take a million pics. :lol-2: I will say, I think I’m going to love the ring. I think the halo size is perfect and won’t overpower the center stone. I love the compass points. And I think it’s going to look beautiful in 14K yellow gold. 7002A964-87CF-4627-BA60-50F784C38A3B.jpeg

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
So in love! What is your ring size? :)

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think its lovely. The only think I'd add are V-prongs on the pears.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results