shape
carat
color
clarity

CAD Opinions Please

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Hi all,

A few weeks ago a side stone fell out of my original setting. I had always been worried about the integrity of the original setting, so after some internal back and forth, I decided to have David Klass make a new bezeled setting that was as similar to the original style as I could get. I'm sentimental about the original, so want to keep the same aesthetics, but make it more secure.

I've had a few rounds of CADs and am about to pull the trigger, but have a couple of questions for the board.
1. Should I have it set a tad higher? This setting is super low (which is what I wanted), but not sure if it's a little TOO low.
2. Should I change the orientation of the center stone? It's an asscher, but not perfectly square, so I have it in more of an east-west orientation and not sure if I should change it back. It's a size 8, hence why I was interested in getting a bit more spread.

Also, as a side note, there will be milgraining around the stones (no milgrain in the original setting, but I think it will make the bezeling feel more antique, which is what I'm going for). I'm having him do single milgrain on the inside edge of the center stone. I had originally thought about doing double milgrain around the center, but ultimately thought it might be too much. I'm still on the fence about that a little.

I'm attaching a pic of the CAD as well as the original setting.

Any help is appreciated! Thank you!!

final_cad.jpg

nel_wedding_0.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE THIS!!!!! :love: :love: :love:

And I SUPER love how the bezel will accentuate the cut corners, while the prongs squared off the corners. This is going to be stupendous! And I am so on board with the milgrain. YUM! :lickout:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow! I really love the new setting! It will be super safe AND make your stones look bigger! *win/win* :appl: I would change the orientation of the center, but that's just a preference... either will be great. I like that it's lower set, given the style, but you may ask DK to set it just a smidge higher if you think you'd prefer that. (I would) ;))

I can't wait to see the finished ring! :appl:

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would have the center stone raised so the culet is just resting on top on the donut. Right now it looks a bit squashy IMO. However, that will affect the soft U shape of the center stone with the sidestones, so you'd need to weigh what you like best. I would definitely have it double milgrained myself. And I love the EW orientation.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would probably ever so slightly raise it just to give it a bit more prominence. I think it would be fun to run it E/W for more finger
coverage and a slightly different look then you are use to. This is kind of a fun update. Sort of the same look but with a few
new twist to it.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a great reset! I love this updated look, and think you'll have spectacular finger coverage. I like the E/W orientation because it's unique, and often makes stones stand out more + look bigger. I do agree w. the other posters above that I think you should consider raising the center stone a bit, since right now the culet is touching your finger (I assume, from the CADS), which makes it look a bit "short/squat". I'm excited to see it IRL!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it as well, I think it is a great re-interpretation of your original ring. I like it set low as I like the fact that it seems like one continuous ring across the finger, but I think it will still be great if you raise the center stone a tiny bit.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, the center stone needs to be raised. I'd want to see the culet. They almost have it touching your finger. I think it is fine either N-S or E-W since it isn't all that elongated. I think some gallery detail would be nice.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I agree with DS. The side profile is very simple and boxy. I'm not liking it.

Do you want it so boxy. If you like it, I'd suggest something more like this, but with bezels (there are three stone halos with this gallery so it can be done).

briangavin_sqhearts2b_070160_0.jpg

dad1cd612c071370904d95af5dad22da.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can also pull in the base of the heads like these so they are less boxy. It also allows a band to sit closer.

antiqueasscher3ctsbezel2.jpg

asscher4ct4.jpg

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Thank you ALL! I did ask him to raise the center stone a little. I like low, but agree this is too low.

I'm leaving the E/W vs. N/S up to him--it's so negligible, that I don't think I will notice.

The gallery I'm leaving--I've already tweaked it a couple of times and I'm working with those tiny rounds on either side of the pears, which I think just complicates things. But love the feedback and am very appreciative!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results