shape
carat
color
clarity

CAD help for Tiffany style solitaire please

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve been posting recently about having DK make me a new Tiffany style solitaire. I’m on my 2nd CAD for the new design (I requested the stone higher, as it was low)

My main two changes for the new ring from my current Tiffany style ring are:

1. the stone set a little higher since my current one was set quite low (along with a slightly more delicate head / prongs)

2. I also requested more shank thickness/depth (not width) so that it would stick out more, to meet up or extend beyond the eternity band he’s also making, or other future bands

My questions are:
1. Do I want the stone even higher? There isn’t a huge difference between the height of my current ring (6.94mm) and the new design (7.12mm). **I can see that my donut is wider and higher than the ones in photos of actual Tiffany solitaires and other repros, so I’m pretty sure that’s part of the reason why - the prongs on mine start out wide at the base vs narrower so it will automatically sit lower, right?
Should I request again to shrink the donut height and/or width to get the stone set higher in the head? Or is this bit of difference enough of a change for going from a low to medium height?
I’m partly nervous about a big difference as I have mostly loved my low-set ring, but on the other hand, I’m having a brand new ring made - specifically so that it will be a different setting height, and then it should pair better with bands (which has been an issue)

2. The thickness (not width) shows 2mm deep at the bottom of the shank on the new ring, while my current one is 1.6mm. Not sure what the changes are like at the sides between the fingers, the measurements aren’t provided. I asked for them and he did say the measurements will change/go down after polishing. But if it doesn’t change much after polishing is that difference in the depth/thickness going to be too uncomfortable, too much of a change from my original ring?

Greatly appreciate any help and expertise!!

Here’s the scan he got of my current ring when I sent it in (not the original cad)
6E205AD9-7602-4F79-9476-DEDC48B6F88F.jpeg

And here’s the cad for the new design
9D06615B-C16F-45A2-A961-9AFCE3A49657.jpeg

This is a comparison of my donut size with one of a Tiffany (with a similar size stone)
EA4066BC-7C62-44F0-86EE-27A6EFDAEBB3.jpeg

Here’s a photo showing why I requested more depth /thickness for the shank, to meet better with the depth of bands
FA293F50-0832-4F55-BB9F-5A1569874FDF.jpeg

Finally here’s a photo of my low set current ring vs a Tiffany with similar size diamond
C06B068B-6771-4F60-9350-8B5205C72E1F.jpeg

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
Tagging because you all had some helpful input in my previous posts - thank you!

In this thread keep low or reset higher? some of you had suggested medium, others medium-low for setting height.. I'm thinking my CAD shows medium-low? Think it's enough of a change from my current ring to get a bit different look, or should I request it a bit higher? I know it's personal preference, just want to make sure I don't end up with a near look alike of my current ring and still have issues with bands pairing.

@nala @diamondseeker2006 @ItsMainelyYou @MamaBee @Dmndsr4evr11 @tyty333 @MissGotRocks @lovedogs @Rfisher @AnastasiaBeaverhausen @KristyDarling

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
Here’s a comparison with a photo of my current ring and the new design. I’m not great with reading cads but I can’t see much difference with the setting height ?

2BB4CD37-C054-411F-9C63-9C1998BE4741.jpeg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@e2the3rd, I'm not that well versed with cads so maybe I shouldn't even be commenting lol, but it looks slightly higher than your original one. Just going by the Tiffany you posted, I think maybe you want it a little higher? Hopefully someone who knows more about this will chime in, just going by what I'm seeing.

edited for typo!

Last edited:

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
@e2the3rd, I'm not that well versed with cads so maybe I shouldn't even be commenting lol, but it looks a slightly higher than your original one. Just going by the Tiffany you posted, I think maybe you want it a little higher? Hopefully someone who knows more about this will chime in, just going by what I'm seeing.

Thank you! Yeah, after I made that last comparison with my ring vs the cad, I messaged DK - requested for the top of the donut to be shaved down so it’s shorter, and for the stone to go a little higher, a little closer to this Tiffany on the right with similar size stone - hopefully this isn’t too high. I might be back asking for feedback again after the next drawing!

DF939AE6-C44B-4ED2-A58E-3193793B0728.jpeg

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
If anyone sees this and can offer input, please do! I can’t tell if this is looking different or enough of a difference ?

I requested the donut be shorter / less built up than it was on my original ring, so the shoulders will land higher at the head, and the stone set higher (to a medium height). The head measurement on the new drawing is about the same as my original, which is surely from cutting down the donut height.

Will this make a difference in the appearance of my low-set original ring? Do I need to ask for the stone to be set higher? I don’t want to go too high.. but don’t want to have it made and there’s barely a difference and then no prong length left to set higher

4EEDFD5B-3601-4EFE-AF1A-D7461811B724.jpeg

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
If anyone sees this and can offer input, please do! I can’t tell if this is looking different or enough of a difference ?

I requested the donut be shorter / less built up than it was on my original ring, so the shoulders will land higher at the head, and the stone set higher (to a medium height). The head measurement on the new drawing is about the same as my original, which is surely from cutting down the donut height.

Will this make a difference in the appearance of my low-set original ring? Do I need to ask for the stone to be set higher? I don’t want to go too high.. but don’t want to have it made and there’s barely a difference and then no prong length left to set higher

4EEDFD5B-3601-4EFE-AF1A-D7461811B724.jpeg

What is the height of your current ring? That can help with the comparison. I didn’t get a CAD for my setting so I don’t know how to interpret that CAD.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like it is still too low to me!

One problem is that they are slightly cupping the prongs like your current ring. The Tiffany example has very straight prongs. The stone needs to be set slightly higher, and making the prongs straight should help.

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
What is the height of your current ring? That can help with the comparison. I didn’t get a CAD for my setting so I don’t know how to interpret that CAD.

He measured 6.95mm on my current ring, but this latest CAD has the donut shortened. I think the donut is around 0.1mm lower on the CAD than on my current ring

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
Looks like it is still too low to me!

One problem is that they are slightly cupping the prongs like your current ring. The Tiffany example has very straight prongs. The stone needs to be set slightly higher, and making the prongs straight should help.

Thank you!

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
Just received a new cad - I think it’s looking great - right?

DK suggested sending me a model before casting - I’m sure because I’m so ridiculously particular! I mentioned I’m worried about the extra shank thickness that I requested being uncomfortable between the fingers, I have no idea what measurement would be good there. I see it’s 2mm thick at the bottom, don’t know what the sides are like

New cad with the stone higher set like the Tiffany example:
C61889B0-11AA-4678-945A-C3B8CE5F650B.jpeg

DK suggested sending me a model before casting - I’m sure because I’m so ridiculously particular! I mentioned I’m worried about the extra shank thickness that I requested being uncomfortable between the fingers, I have no idea what measurement would be good there. I see it’s 2mm thick at the bottom, don’t know what the sides are like

Looking good! The subtle changes added together should make quite a difference visually. And can I say how glad I am that DK provides molds? That will definitely help you see if you want to tweak the design a bit more.

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock

If it’s .22mm at the bottom - call that 6 o’clock) it’s probably no more than 3mm on the wide (9 and 3 o’clock). One mm is tiny. If your not really familiar with metic, grag a ruler and check out how tiny a single MM really is.

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
If it’s .22mm at the bottom - call that 6 o’clock) it’s probably no more than 3mm on the wide (9 and 3 o’clock). One mm is tiny. If your not really familiar with metic, grag a ruler and check out how tiny a single MM really is.

Thanks - yeah I seem to notice tenths of a mm. I just don’t know how much will feel like too much for a knife edge - the comfort between the fingers. I don’t have any rings over 2mm thick. Hopefully with the model I’ll know! Current knife edge is super comfortable, but I wanted more height off the finger on the new ring - because I like when the shank on the soli looks closer to the same thickness/depth of bands (but not width, I love mismatched widths between rings!)

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
Looking good! The subtle changes added together should make quite a difference visually. And can I say how glad I am that DK provides molds? That will definitely help you see if you want to tweak the design a bit more.

Ok great! I was wondering if it would be too bulky to get an idea. I’m excited to see it! Hopefully everything is spot on and I don’t have to bug DK with more tweaks again. Like if I find the head to be too high after requesting it higher 4 different times !

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
He measured 6.95mm on my current ring, but this latest CAD has the donut shortened. I think the donut is around 0.1mm lower on the CAD than on my current ring

That sounds basically the same as your current ring then

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
I received the models for both my solitaire and single prong eternity band - they are so helpful!!
ms1.jpg
mbprof.jpg mbside.jpg mb1.jpg msprof1.jpg
I was concerned about the depth/thickness for comfort between the fingers but that's totally fine. The head height isn't too high at all. The width, however, appears wider than I expected, and the taper isn't as noticeable... it's there, but from the top view the shank looks straight. Maybe polishing would make the knife edge stand out more and the taper more noticeable /the width slimmer looking ?

I've noted a few changes I'd like on the cad - can anyone chime in if I'm on the right track to get the solitaire looking closer to the tiffany setting? Thx!

cad latest w notes.jpg

actual Tiffany solitaires:
tiff 1.64.jpeg tiff hand.jpeg tiff 1.73.jpeg

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
Sending my requests for changes tomorrow (Monday) am - if anyone would care to check the models and the notes I added on the cad in my last reply above ^ am I missing anything, or on the right track ? Mostly wondering about the prongs being straighter (or leave as-is)… Thanks!!

tisfort

Rough_Rock
Can we see a picture of you wearing your current ring and the wax models for comparison?

StarshineSweet

Rough_Rock
Trade
I received the models for both my solitaire and single prong eternity band - they are so helpful!!
ms1.jpg
mbprof.jpg mbside.jpg mb1.jpg msprof1.jpg
I was concerned about the depth/thickness for comfort between the fingers but that's totally fine. The head height isn't too high at all. The width, however, appears wider than I expected, and the taper isn't as noticeable... it's there, but from the top view the shank looks straight. Maybe polishing would make the knife edge stand out more and the taper more noticeable /the width slimmer looking ?

I've noted a few changes I'd like on the cad - can anyone chime in if I'm on the right track to get the solitaire looking closer to the tiffany setting? Thx!

cad latest w notes.jpg

actual Tiffany solitaires:
tiff 1.64.jpeg tiff hand.jpeg tiff 1.73.jpeg

Just my two cents...

Why are you wanting it to look closer to the T&Co? TBH, I think the original looks squat and wide, where as DK's current model for you looks better. If it was mine, I'd have him go a touch more of a cathedral shank, and narrow it a bit as it approaches the head. That would allow for just about any band to sit very nicely with the engagement ring, and put the focus squarely on the diamond. I also think the knife edge is uncomfortable, so have it go round on the shank just where the fingers come together. This way from the top you'll see the knife edge, but it's wonderfully comfy to wear.

Like I said, this is just my two cents and what I would do with the design if it was mine.

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
Can we see a picture of you wearing your current ring and the wax models for comparison?

DK has my current ring now, but here is a side-by-side with my current ring and a band I tried in a shop next to the models.

The model of the solitaire especially is much wider than my current ring, I'm definitely going to request it be narrower (even if polishing removes some of the width).. wondering mostly about the prongs/head, are they still "cupping" too much like my current ring - I'd like to see a significant change in the new ring from my low-set current ring

IMG_1474.JPG

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
Just my two cents...

Why are you wanting it to look closer to the T&Co? TBH, I think the original looks squat and wide, where as DK's current model for you looks better. If it was mine, I'd have him go a touch more of a cathedral shank, and narrow it a bit as it approaches the head. That would allow for just about any band to sit very nicely with the engagement ring, and put the focus squarely on the diamond. I also think the knife edge is uncomfortable, so have it go round on the shank just where the fingers come together. This way from the top you'll see the knife edge, but it's wonderfully comfy to wear.

Like I said, this is just my two cents and what I would do with the design if it was mine.

I want my current ring redone to look closer to T&Co because it's my favorite solitaire setting. My current ring is set low/squat, there wasn't prong length to just have the stone reset higher, so I'm having a new ring made with slight changes. I find the knife edge quite comfortable, I love the shank tapering to widest at the head, I love bands not sitting flush with the soli - so those things won't be changed. My main change is with the setting height.

I'm mostly wondering if the head/prongs on the model and CAD are still too "cupped" and should be straighter out like the Tiffany examples, so that the stone isn't looking squat on my new ring even if it is slightly higher. I was considering requesting more of a cathedral on the shoulders as well.. thanks for the input!

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
I want my current ring redone to look closer to T&Co because it's my favorite solitaire setting. My current ring is set low/squat, there wasn't prong length to just have the stone reset higher, so I'm having a new ring made with slight changes. I find the knife edge quite comfortable, I love the shank tapering to widest at the head, I love bands not sitting flush with the soli - so those things won't be changed. My main change is with the setting height.

I'm mostly wondering if the head/prongs on the model and CAD are still too "cupped" and should be straighter out like the Tiffany examples, so that the stone isn't looking squat on my new ring even if it is slightly higher. I was considering requesting more of a cathedral on the shoulders as well.. thanks for the input!

I like T&Co setting as well. Like you, I had mine done by Klass but with slight alterations.. However, you might want to keep in mind that Tiffany changes their setting slightly every two or so years to prevent others from coping the setting. So, the examples you are posting might deviate from the settings they have now. Just fyi.

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
I like T&Co setting as well. Like you, I had mine done by Klass but with slight alterations.. However, you might want to keep in mind that Tiffany changes their setting slightly every two or so years to prevent others from coping the setting. So, the examples you are posting might deviate from the settings they have now. Just fyi.

Thank you! Yes, I’m aware they change it up, varying width and knife edge sharpness etc... I still seem to prefer most of the Tiffany versions vs other Tiffany-inspired or 6-prong knife edge solitaires that either don’t taper or pinch/reverse taper at the head (U113, Valoria, Jovyn - I appreciate the beauty of them, but they aren’t what I’m after). I’m not too concerned with getting an exact copy of a Tiffany but rather the elements I prefer, which I’ve learned from my previous very different rings

emmy12

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! Yes, I’m aware they change it up, varying width and knife edge sharpness etc... I still seem to prefer most of the Tiffany versions vs other Tiffany-inspired or 6-prong knife edge solitaires that either don’t taper or pinch/reverse taper at the head (U113, Valoria, Jovyn - I appreciate the beauty of them, but they aren’t what I’m after). I’m not too concerned with getting an exact copy of a Tiffany but rather the elements I prefer, which I’ve learned from my previous very different rings

Did this ever get finished?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results