shape
carat
color
clarity

CAD help for Five Stone ring needed

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
Hi All,

This CAD by DK is pretty much done but my only concern is the height from finger to top. It started at 3mm because I wanted it low set and that’s the minimum but the side details work better at 3.5mm. My question is whether 3.5mm will feel top heavy at all or stick up more than I want. If you all consider 3.5mm to be ‘low set’ then I might go ahead with it. It’s hard to find a comparison but I have seen 5-stone rings for sale that are closer to 2.5mm.

It will be 1ctw with 20pt stones. There will be milgrain around the faux bezels. Any other comments welcome.

Thanks!!

E50DF2E7-EF01-49B2-B015-8EF1CA3BA260.jpeg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think at that height it will feel more like a "ring" and a little less like a "band" (which to me is closer to 2mm), if you know what I mean. I don't think that is a bad thing. And I don't think this height will feel too high... but obviously higher than 2.5! I suppose you have to balance your aesthetic desired with practical ones.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My stones are 20 pointers in a U-prong and look to be about 4mm (I dont have calipers). Its my avatar ring. I think 3.5mm is pretty low.
A glamour side view that probably isnt very helpful.
A side view on my finger fuzz and all!:lol:

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
My stones are 20 pointers in a U-prong and look to be about 4mm (I dont have calipers). Its my avatar ring. I think 3.5mm is pretty low.
A glamour side view that probably isnt very helpful.
side of 7 stone.jpg
A side view on my finger fuzz and all!:lol:
2016-02-02 15.35.51.jpg

Thanks! Eyeballing your ring compared to my CAD it looks very close. Do you feel like it’s easy and comfortable to wear everyday?

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
I think at that height it will feel more like a "ring" and a little less like a "band" (which to me is closer to 2mm), if you know what I mean. I don't think that is a bad thing. And I don't think this height will feel too high... but obviously higher than 2.5! I suppose you have to balance your aesthetic desired with practical ones.

Thanks. A ring as opposed to a band might be fine since it’s for my right hand and I will take it off at night but I want to be able to wear it comfortably and not be annoyed by it. I’m thinking of asking for 3.25mm but that’s kind of ridiculous.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol... yes, it is probably ridiculous to worry about 0.25 of a mm in this case... in some situations it might matter (like matching the heights of two rings), but in this case it would not possibly be noticable!

Do you have any taller rings or anything you can put on your hand to get a sense of the height? What about asking him to send you a wax -- the fee for that might be worth it to set your mind at ease.

Will there be engraving on the shank around the flower? What kind of metal finish will you use? I love brushed yellow gold.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, and I would personally ask about making the band a little thinner than 2mm on the palm side (like in height, not width) and ask about comfort fit interior finishing so it feels smooth going on and off...

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
lol... yes, it is probably ridiculous to worry about 0.25 of a mm in this case... in some situations it might matter (like matching the heights of two rings), but in this case it would not possibly be noticable!

Do you have any taller rings or anything you can put on your hand to get a sense of the height? What about asking him to send you a wax -- the fee for that might be worth it to set your mind at ease.

Will there be engraving on the shank around the flower? What kind of metal finish will you use? I love brushed yellow gold.

It will be a shiny finish other than the milgrain around the diamonds and I haven’t really asked for an additional engraving other than the flower itself.

I do have a wax for the 3mm version and thought I might be able to increase it a bit but now I’m not so sure!

I wanted the band to be thicker for durability in 18ky gold. It seems ok in the wax. It’s not dainty but seems fine. I like my rings to have some weight to them.

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, and I would personally ask about making the band a little thinner than 2mm on the palm side (like in height, not width) and ask about comfort fit interior finishing so it feels smooth going on and off...

I did ask for comfort fit. Can you tell if it’s in the CAD?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looking again it seems like it is comfort fit. I think that is something that can be done during polishing anyway, so it is not that big a deal.

Sorry... I may not be understanding, but you are saying that you have already seen a wax when it was at the 3mm height and it was OK? I cannot imagine that a half mm additional height is going to be a problem then!

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
Looking again it seems like it is comfort fit. I think that is something that can be done during polishing anyway, so it is not that big a deal.

Sorry... I may not be understanding, but you are saying that you have already seen a wax when it was at the 3mm height and it was OK? I cannot imagine that a half mm additional height is going to be a problem then!

Exactly. The 3mm is fine and I am worried that 3.5mm will make it top heavy. It doesn’t seem like a big difference but it’s a tiny ring so I have no idea.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results