shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying today! Please Help.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Wazzu Cody

Rough_Rock
O.K.

I posted yesterday and received some very useful info but now I am really looking at buying this stone today or tommorrow. The price is in my range of $5200 and the color,cut,carit, and clarity are what I believe gets me the most for my money.

Does anyone have an opinion on this stone. Good deal? Bad deal? Do you believe that this is the overall size/quality ratio for my money.

Any response would be appreciated.

Here is the information that is on the certificate.

SARIN REPORT INFORMATION
IDEAL BRILLIANT AGS 2 (1.198 ct)
DIAM. 6.86MM (6.84-6.89) x 4.19
DEPTH 61.1%
CROWN 32.2 (14.2% AGS 2)
PAVILLION 41.3 (43.2% AGS 0)
TABLE 3.71MM (54.0% AGS 0)
CULET 0.7% (AGS 0)
GIRDLE 2.3% (1.8-3.0%)

GIA. INFORMATION
DIAM. (6.84x6.8
4.gif
x 4.19
DEPTH 61.1%
TABLE 55%
GIRDLE—MEDIUM TO SLIGHTLY THICK
CULET-NONE
POLISH-VERY GOOD
SYMMETRY-GOOD
COLOR-G
CLARITY GRADE-SI1

Thanks!

Cody

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
The stone sounds great! The price is great for that size stone, the G is a nice white color, SI1 could be fine if you have seen the stone and can verify there are no black carbon inclusions visible to your eye, the AGS 2 is still a fine make of a stone. The HCA gives it a 1.8BIC in the excellent range (ex,ex,vg,vg) as well so you are under a 2.0 which is great. Sounds like things check out all around.

If you love it..get it! I don't see anything wrong with it! the AGS 2 grading is the slightly shallow crown but that is still a great stone and everything else is AGS0. Congrats and good luck! would be sure there is a return policy and get a 2nd opinion on the stone via an appraiser within the return window to be sure everything checks out.

1.gif

Wazzu Cody

Rough_Rock
Thanks Mara!

Buy the way, your stone is incredible. You set a pretty high standard with that one. I am purchasing the stone on-line at Abazias but I think that I am going to purchase a setting at The Shane Co. Any opinion on platinum or white gold? I have heard +'s and -'s for each but I think that I will probably go with a white gold setting with about .33 carats worth of round diamonds in the band. Any suggestions?

Cody

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Cody!
1.gif
My pet rock is a charmer, thats for sure!

Plat vs. white gold..you've probably read the most recent posts..its a tough one. If there isnt much metal showing on top then I'd say go with plat as its more durable, but many are happy with white gold. I've read alot about plat scratching or looking dull after the first few weeks if people are hard on their hands, but I have a few coworkers who have plat solitaires and theirs still look gorgeous. So I don't really know what to make of it all. Mine is plat but the prongs holding the small diamonds all the way around pretty much take the brunt of the blows (if any!), so I don't have alot of metal on the outside to speak of. I have read that with WG you have to get it re-polished or similar every once in a while as it may take on the look of YG over time? My WG bracelet is actually taking on a tinge of yellow as WG is made with a mix that includes YG in it. But I guess you may have to re-polish your plat too at some point, so it really just ends up being a preference? I would suggest a platinum head though if you have that option, as that will definitely protect the stone better than softer gold will. If you get a WG setting and a plat head, there will be no visual different to the viewer.

My 2 cents on the Shane Co..we have one here in the Bayarea..and I priced out their stuff. I don't know about their setting pricing, but their stones were much more expensive than online or even than our jewelers. I was surprised also as I always hear their commercials about how great their prices are. So if you have not priced out your setting, would suggest doing so with them to be sure that it is within your range. The setting sounds great though!

Good luck!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Mara is right about the head. Def go platinum if you can. I have a pear emerald from Brazil in a platinum head. V cap to protect the point. The platinum will not soften or bend. I've had to have gold prongs straightened before, and even lost a side set stone when a gold prong broke. Never a problem with the platinum.

Metal choice hands down for me is platinum. Got into platinum after developing contact dermatitis problems with my original gold rings. I have 3 platinum rings and each has a different finish.

You can have the platinum brushed or leave it "natural" which has a flat finish look. You can also have a high polish that will give much the same sheen as white gold. I have brushed, natural, and high polish, and love the look of all 3. If you want to keep platinum looking especially nice, have it cleaned and buffed/polished once or twice a year. You'll be wanting to get your diamond checked routinely anyway, so it's not a big deal to get the ring cleaned an polished then.

White gold will, over time, tend to yellow somewhat (alloy metals) and loose it's sheen. You will need to refinish it back to it's white luster. Jewelers here do what is called a rhodium flash or plating. You might want to check with you jeweler exactly what procedure they use. Rhodium refinish costs between $30 and $40 where I live and lasts 1 to 2 years depending on use.

I love the crisp look of white gold, but once you go plat you never go back.
wavey.gif

WalnutCrunch

Rough_Rock
Anyone tried 19k white gold? It's supposed to be a good alternative to platinum. It's whiter than 18k WG and supposed to be more durable?? Apparently the what makes up 19k WG is kept secret and information on it is rare.

A lot of jewellers I've been to are recommending it and the gemologist who appraised my stone had nothing be good things to say about it. When she had first saw one a few years ago, she thought it was platinum.

I'll be getting a 19k WG setting. It's already very white without the rhodium plating, I can't wait to see it after the stone is mounted and the plating is done.

WC

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Walnut--there are a few threads in the search archives about 19k gold. See below...
1.gif

Here is one (again can't do the linking thing so here is the whole thread):
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/19-k-white-gold.3823/

Here is another that discusses plat vs white gold vs 19k, costs, durability, etc:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/bailey-banks-biddle-lineage-diamond.4027/

and the same post from that same poster but on a diff forum here so it got a few diff responses:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/bailey-banks-biddle-lineage-diamond.4026/

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
Seems OK on my computer screen.

I guess I might worry about are the inclusions. Do you have pics? Are you picky? Is there a set of eyes on the other end which you trust? What about the return policy?

Sounds like you closed in on a winner - did you buy it?

R/A

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results