shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying synthetic/lab grown opal (UK)

Scotopal

Rough_Rock
I'd like to buy a firey and large-ish stone for a ring, as a present. I've been thinking about getting a lab grown opal, so I can get something impressive looking in budget (the recipient is on board with this :) ). Looking in jewellers in Glasgow, they have synthetic opal jewelry that I couldn't tell apart from natural, but the price is almost the same as natural too. Are there better places to shop online? If we're only talking maybe 10% discount, I'd rather get a natural stone... Thanks!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd like to buy a firey and large-ish stone for a ring, as a present. I've been thinking about getting a lab grown opal, so I can get something impressive looking in budget (the recipient is on board with this :) ). Looking in jewellers in Glasgow, they have synthetic opal jewelry that I couldn't tell apart from natural, but the price is almost the same as natural too. Are there better places to shop online? If we're only talking maybe 10% discount, I'd rather get a natural stone... Thanks!

@jordyonbass is a PS member who has set up as a vendor of (mined) opals, but he is based in Aus - you should be able to click on his name in this reply and pull up his profile, which I am sure will have a link to his site :)

Other than that, I think @kevnick80 is based in Scotland and has a great jeweller, so might be able to offer recommendations!

Scotopal

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I'll take a look

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Clearwatergemsuk on ebay has very affordablenatural Wello opal.
I've bought garnets from this seller, always a good experience.

Scotopal

Rough_Rock
Thanks both for the replies - I'll take a look!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results