shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying my first AVC!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow I actually thought the one on the left was the E! I'm not color sensitive and I actually can't tell the difference between the two. I personally love the facet pattern of the one of the left, but the one on the right is also beautiful!

Interesting!!! It seems like the facet pattern of the left is more appealing to people?

In that lighting it is harder to see - in photos - the color difference seems substantial to my eyes at least!!!!

J 1.01 carat
E 1.30 carat

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh interesting!! And whoops! I *did* think the E was the one of the left.... the facet pattern in the video looks so much like the picture you posted! The side view from the video also makes the one on the right appear tinted, but it looks like that could be more reflection from colors around it. And yes, the one of the left is the one that took my breath away. Knowing it's a J gives me a little pause though... I love OECs but I also tend to be a high-color gal... my OEC is a G.

Both are beautiful, for sure. I personally love the pattern and performance of the one the left in the video, but you have indicated you think you may be a high color gal. It's possible that the poor cut of the M influenced your feelings about lower color grades. The only way to know is to see a well-cut stunner in a lower color (like this J)... but barring that, I can see that the E would be a more appealing option for you.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I prefer the facet pattern of the one on the right. The left is a classic OEC pattern with more of a pinwheel in the middle, the right one looks like more of the checkerboard pattern? I'm not sure if that's what others would call it, but that's what I think of it as. I actually have a new pair of studs right now and they are cut like these stones - very slightly different where I can see it right next to each other and I do prefer one over the other, but on my ears nobody would ever notice.

I can't see the color difference between those stones though I'm sure in person it's pretty obvious. I think outdoor lighting really washes out color (my L-M studs look pretty white outside, not so much inside)

They are both very pretty though! I'd be happy to own either.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
This is so interesting. Close ups looked so similar to me, side by side (I mean, yeah different, but same "styles") but clearly they look SO different!

The E looks "crisper" to me, which I like. They really are both beautiful, but the J color is a dealbreaker - (hey if anyone wants the J - you should get it!!! Here)

1.01 J VS1
1596221407662.png

1.30 E SI1
1596221452537.png

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
They do look super similar in still photos. Something about the E just seems to reflect light in the table region more brightly, while with the J I can clearly see the pinwheel facets. No right or wrong answer, I just prefer when I can't see the pinwheel as clearly.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
They do look super similar in still photos. Something about the E just seems to reflect light in the table region more brightly, while with the J I can clearly see the pinwheel facets. No right or wrong answer, I just prefer when I can't see the pinwheel as clearly.

Yes - that gives words to what I see. The middle of J looks dark at certain angles to me (maybe it isn't, just what my eyes see)

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
No I see it too, you get the pinwheel turning on and off and you see the big chunky facets. Vs on the E all of the facets seem to be more similar in size when it's in movement (even though it clearly still has a similar faceting pattern). I don't know what makes it do that. I think of it like a checkerboard because all of the flashes of light look more evenly sized.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
You also get a lot of camera reflection in those facets so it could just be where the camera is and what angle it's at to the stones making it look like that

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Oh interesting!! And whoops! I *did* think the E was the one of the left.... the facet pattern in the video looks so much like the picture you posted! The side view from the video also makes the one on the right appear tinted, but it looks like that could be more reflection from colors around it. And yes, the one of the left is the one that took my breath away. Knowing it's a J gives me a little pause though... I love OECs but I also tend to be a high-color gal... my OEC is a G.

Both are beautiful, for sure. I personally love the pattern and performance of the one the left in the video, but you have indicated you think you may be a high color gal. It's possible that the poor cut of the M influenced your feelings about lower color grades. The only way to know is to see a well-cut stunner in a lower color (like this J)... but barring that, I can see that the E would be a more appealing option for you.

I definitely think the cut of M influenced my opinion of low colors. Before that, I loved the look of ivory, lace colored antique stones I saw in photos & videos. I think I might come around to a different, nicely cut low color diamond down the road or even a recut of my original stone...but I feel almost traumatized from it (dramatic, but don't know how to say it, hah!)

As a result, I do really want a high colored stone as my e-ring, and might explore lower colors for pendants, earrings, even an RHR (but I need some space from a low color to heal my wounds and make sure I give them a fair chance HAH)

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Honestly, the type of facet pattern that people like will be more subjective, although I think most here
do prefer a flowery pattern.

Have you looked at the AVR's at Distinctive Gem? You will notice there are different facet patterns amongst the diamonds. It may be helpful to look at those when selecting your preferences.

Keep in mind that the J at JBG will look more tinted because it's in a yellow gold setting, whereas the colorless of the E stands out in contrast to the setting. There are also J's which lean more towards H-I and those in the other direction.

I am the opposite of you - I started with a F MRB, and dropped down to a J color AVR. My F was in platinum, which looked steely gray at times. My J is in a white gold setting (white palladium), but it has been commented that it is a high J.

One day, I might get the AVC of my dreams...part of me still regrets passing up the L VVS2 AVC that I was considering at the same time as the AVR.

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@annagene12 - I just took a browse through your old threads. It sounds like the aversion to the J is indeed "PTSD" from the negative experience with the M. Go with high colored stones to take the bad taste of your mouth.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The thing is, anything above J is going to look white compared to an M. If you went with a G, H or even I color, you could get a larger stone. Since OECs sometimes have a smaller diameter than modern round brilliants, the stones may not look as big as you'd expect. That E color stone has a diameter of 6.7mm which is roughly the size of an ideal cut round at 1.15 cts. My 1.3 ct WF ACA studs are 7mm. Near colorless stones that are well cut will look white, just not icy cz white.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
@annagene12 - I just took a browse through your old threads. It sounds like the aversion to the J is indeed "PTSD" from the negative experience with the M. Go with high colored stones to take the bad taste of your mouth.

I appreciate you looking through the old threads - and your thoughts! I DO hear what everyone is saying, I honestly imagine the J is lovely, but you are right - I really don't feel ready to purchase another warm(ish) stone at this time. If I looked at it with the wrong attitude one day and "saw" my old stone in it, the damage would be done and I'd see the color as a flaw. I am also CRAZY sensitive about color in real life - I am a painter and have suspected for years that I am a tetrachromat but it is difficult to be formally diagnosed.

A funny anecdote - when I was picking out white paint for my apartment, I laid out about 80 paint chips on the paint station counter at home depot and spent hours looking at them in different lights before I chose. The guy making paint thought I was a lunatic and I kept trying to convince him of the startling differences between violet-, blue-, green-, yellow- and pink- based whites AND that different directional lights impact perception of color (i.e. southern light exposure is warm - you should pick a "cool" white). He was...beguiled.

Anyways, just because I can see the color doesn't mean I don't like it. I could see myself going down to an G-H, but I haven't found another OEC in that range. I did send a message to Old World Diamonds and waiting to hear a reply.

I did look at the AVRs - they really are stunning. While beautiful, they look a little "too perfect" to me (which is why I am less drawn to MRBs too, I think). I mean no offense to AVRs lovers out there - I find them so pretty to look at, but I am not drawn to them in the same way, whereas I am drawn to AVCs for their particular type of whimsy. I know it seems silly as they are cut with a similar precision...it is more of a gut feel.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
The thing is, anything above J is going to look white compared to an M. If you went with a G, H or even I color, you could get a larger stone. Since OECs sometimes have a smaller diameter than modern round brilliants, the stones may not look as big as you'd expect. That E color stone has a diameter of 6.7mm which is roughly the size of an ideal cut round at 1.15 cts. My 1.3 ct WF ACA studs are 7mm. Near colorless stones that are well cut will look white, just not icy cz white.

I think you are right that I would like G, H, (maybe) I. I haven't actually found a nice one yet - but I did reach out to Old World Diamonds and am waiting for a reply!

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I appreciate you looking through the old threads - and your thoughts! I DO hear what everyone is saying, I honestly imagine the J is lovely, but you are right - I really don't feel ready to purchase another warm(ish) stone at this time. If I looked at it with the wrong attitude one day and "saw" my old stone in it, the damage would be done and I'd see the color as a flaw. I am also CRAZY sensitive about color in real life - I am a painter and have suspected for years that I am a tetrachromat but it is difficult to be formally diagnosed.

A funny anecdote - when I was picking out white paint for my apartment, I laid out about 80 paint chips on the paint station counter at home depot and spent hours looking at them in different lights before I chose. The guy making paint thought I was a lunatic and I kept trying to convince him of the startling differences between violet-, blue-, green-, yellow- and pink- based whites AND that different directional lights impact perception of color (i.e. southern light exposure is warm - you should pick a "cool" white). He was...beguiled.

Anyways, just because I can see the color doesn't mean I don't like it. I could see myself going down to an G-H, but I haven't found another OEC in that range. I did send a message to Old World Diamonds and waiting to hear a reply.

I did look at the AVRs - they really are stunning. While beautiful, they look a little "too perfect" to me (which is why I am less drawn to MRBs too, I think). I mean no offense to AVRs lovers out there - I find them so pretty to look at, but I am not drawn to them in the same way, whereas I am drawn to AVCs for their particular type of whimsy. I know it seems silly as they are cut with a similar precision...it is more of a gut feel.

Lol, that sounds like my husband and me. "I don't like that gray, under certain lights, it's really pink/green/etc." "Huh? Gray is gray..."

Oh, I didn't mean you had to go AVR - I just referred to it because the pictures are all straight on, so you can the different patterns. It's harder with the JBG diamonds because she doesn't have them both shot at the same angle or distance. It makes it harder to compare, IMO. Hopefully OWD gets back to you!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I am glad you mentioned the face up size difference of OECs @diamondseeker2006 , I didn't realize. It is something to consider. I do think my sweet spot for size is 7-7.5mm but I am tempted by the E color...can't have it all! Shooting to stay under 10k.

I might have Grace show me a side by side with this other J I found...it does look pretty white for a J and find the "sorta cushion" shape is a fun compromise. I love the facets on this one too...it looks so pretty in videos!

I combed through OWD's inventory...and didn't see much that have photos. I wonder if Adam has others that aren't listed.

https://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose...-1-57ct-antique-cushion-cut-diamond-gia-j-si1

1596247806650.png

elizat

Ideal_Rock
It has potential, looks like it will be a fairly white face up.

It has too much darkness under the table for me personally. That's personal preference though. The last video at a distance would bug me for viewing. But, old cuts are very much taste based.

I would not set this with a prong setting either, because I would want to protect the girdle (see the plot).

I know your ring was from Ivy and Rose. What about looking at their old cuts to see what you like in person?

Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
It has potential, looks like it will be a fairly white face up.

It has too much darkness under the table for me personally. That's personal preference though. The last video at a distance would bug me for viewing. But, old cuts are very much taste based.

I would not set this with a prong setting either, because I would want to protect the girdle (see the plot).

I know your ring was from Ivy and Rose. What about looking at their old cuts to see what you like in person?

You are absolutely right - that darker area I now can’t unsee. Thanks for mentioning it.

I actually did look at Ivy&Rose and there is nothing in their inventory that speaks to me enough to see in person.

After sleeping on it, I don’t care a lick about anything else I’ve seen. I think I need to see the 1.30 E from Grace. I can’t stop thinking about it. It’s smaller, but I don’t want to be seduced by size like I was the first go around. The facets just kill me! I *want* a smaller diamond than my last, by a good amount. I wrote out my priorities, tried on my old ring...cut, color, clarity and size is my order. And I think I will have to determine if it has enough presence in person, and if it doesn’t thrill me, I will try again and return it!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I’m very sensitive to color and own all of the Benjamin Moore fan decks because that’s the only way I can pick the right color. I’ve repainted every house we’ve lived in because the colors that were there were always off. I can see color in stones pretty easily but at least in OECs (which is pretty much all I have, along with an early MRB/transitional) I don’t mind it at all.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Definitely call Adam at OWD next week if you don’t hear from him. He’ll text you photos and videos of anything you found on his site and will help you find something nice. I’ve worked with him a few times and he picks nice stones.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Definitely call Adam at OWD next week if you don’t hear from him. He’ll text you photos and videos of anything you found on his site and will help you find something nice. I’ve worked with him a few times and he picks nice stones.

Sounds like you are just as sensitive to color as me!

I do think I am going try Grace’s stone - it has all of the criteria I was looking for! It’s a little smaller than I’d guess at 1.3 carats (but now I know OECs face up small) but I think it’s worth seeing in person. I also liked how feminine and delicate 1 carats looked on my hand in a store

it’s funny I looked through OWD inventory - struggled to find any F - G - H range that were larger in face up size compared to the E with grace without dropping further in clarity (SI1 already felt like a stretch for me!). I realize he may have other stones...I plan on calling him if I am not head over heels with the E!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I hope it’s the one! Or at least tells you something about what you like. It’s definitely not easy to find an OEC in D/E/F range.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I hope it’s the one! Or at least tells you something about what you like. It’s definitely not easy to find an OEC in D/E/F range.

Thank you so much for your help! (For everyone's) I am so excited to try it out! :dance:

I just can't miss the chance to try out such a white OEC and see if it sings to me!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this 1.3 may work out for you! Whatever the end result, I do think you need to see it given what you've said about it.

If it doesn't end up being the one, I second OWD. Adam is who I got my 1.36 G/VS1 OEC from. He had sent me a K/SI1 and a J/VS1 and while the K's pattern knocked my socks off, the inclusion bothered me. He told me I was a high-color, high-clarity gal, despite my protests. 'No, I'm not, it's all about the performance!' Well, he said he was sending me a G/VS1 and he read me right. The faceting is gorgeous, the performance is there, and the G/VS1 leaves nothing for me to nitpick.

This was ten years ago. High color OECs were hard to come by then, even more so now. I've got my fingers and toes crossed for you on the 1.3 or another one finding you!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sensitive to color more in modern rounds than I am in old cuts. The old cuts have larger facets and don't seem to show color as much as the more faceted modern cut stones. Please do be paying attention to the diameter measurements more so than the weight. I'd far rather have a 7.4mm H or I over a 6.1mm E, personally. You may have to order and send back a few before you find "the one". Believe it or not, I looked at 5-6 AVRs and AVCs before choosing the stone to keep.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I am sensitive to color more in modern rounds than I am in old cuts. The old cuts have larger facets and don't seem to show color as much as the more faceted modern cut stones. Please do be paying attention to the diameter measurements more so than the weight. I'd far rather have a 7.4mm H or I over a 6.1mm E, personally. You may have to order and send back a few before you find "the one". Believe it or not, I looked at 5-6 AVRs and AVCs before choosing the stone to keep.

Yes I think that’s fair! I didn’t see many Hs at all - in 7-7.5mm range even for I seemed to jumped above my $10k budget (the ones I found were in the 11-12k range)

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock

I totally get your color sensitivity. Don’t talk yourself out of it. Thanks God/ Goddess for the small sample cans of paint. It usually takes me about 12 of them to pick a room color. :wall:We’re also drawn to colors we look best in. I bet if you look at the inside of your wrist you’ll see lots of blue/pink undertones.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I totally get your color sensitivity. Don’t talk yourself out of it. Thanks God/ Goddess for the small sample cans of paint. It usually takes me about 12 of them to pick a room color. :wall:We’re also drawn to colors we look best in. I bet if you look at the inside of your wrist you’ll see lots of blue/pink undertones.

You’re spot on! Yes I do have lots of blue and pink undertones! Even my hair is very cool toned - ashy blonde. Yellow does absolutely nothing for me. I tried on “antique colored” and “champagne” wedding dresses, and they looked terrible even though I thought they looked divine on other people.

When I got “tan” this summer, which is an overstatement because I’m quite pale - the yellowy M color was just terribly unflattering, more than ever, and I could not stop noticing!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
What a find! And sometimes other people do know better than we do ourselves, at least consciously! I’m excited!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
It came! GAHHH so excited! :lol:

Having fun playing with it in different lighting environments

It is soooo white - nothing like my M - the way it catches the light is also (obviously) totally different. It seems to pick up colors in the environment easily which I love - my first impression is that it feels feminine and just absolutely beautiful but need to give it time to "sink in"

it doesn't seem to "turn off" if that makes sense - even in low lights, it holds its own with a subtle, white shimmer. it reminds me of my family crest on my Irish side - lucent in tenebris - they shine in darkness

IMG-2742 (1).jpg IMG-2729 (1).jpg
IMG-2745.jpg

IMG-2737.jpg
IMG-2735.jpg
IMG-2748.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results