carat
color
clarity

Buying my first AVC!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Hi friends,

A LONG Backstory (skip to the AVC part if ya want :lol:) :

I VERY recently reset an 2.01 carat SI2 M-colored round brilliant in a beautiful Sholdt setting for my e-ring - but I am just really unhappy with the stone. I kept resetting it thinking I could compensate for my growing dislike for M color, the poor cut and it felt TOO big... I didn't want to hurt my fiances feelings but after the last reset - I just knew in my heart that I really, really did not like the stone and had been trying to avoid it.

I love Sholdt the setting so much that I am going to try to reuse it for a colored gem (hopefully a great bench can pull off reusing a bezel setting), and one day explore recutting the diamond and using it for a pendant so I can wear it close to my heart. We both feel sentimental about the stone so will not be selling it, even if it isn't my favorite stone on the planet.

My fiance realized we knew very little about diamonds when we bought it (I had JUST discovered PS :((), and picked size above all. Turns out, that doesn't always make for a beautiful diamond. In fact, the size exaggerated everything else that was wrong with it. No regrets, I exhausted all of my options and learned that no sexy setting was going to change the way I felt about the stone.

I don't know if anyone on PS relates to this roller coaster, it was expensive and exhausting but I am looking forward to starting a new chapter and building something together with my fiance. With COVID-19, we had to cancel our original plans so have more financial flexibility.

Getting an AVC:

We decided should go for something smaller, whiter, with a GREAT cut. I have lusted after AVCs on PS and figured now was the time to do something totally different. Vintage cuts appeal to me, but I wanted something with KILLER performance after living with a dull stone.

I don't know what setting I want, I don't really want to rush it if I feel uncertainty....this is IT for me for a WHILE. But I think I want a 3-stone, either with traps like this, french cuts, or even smaller AVCs like in this thread!! I don't want it to remind my of my original ring.

Looking for:
VS2 clarity or above
I color or better (ideal would be F-G)
Rectangular over square shape
$6.5k max

These are the four I found:

0.915 VS2 E
0.983 VS1 I
1.046 VS1 I
1.13 VVS2 H

I am not sure bout the H-I color. I have never seen one in person. I am so worried it will look too yellow, my M started to look muddy to me. That could have also been a clarity issue the inclusions it had were carbon, AND the cut was poor...I want to make sure I get this right. Is there anything else I need to consider?

OH what a tangled web we weave!!! :doh:

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What an emotional rollercoaster! but thank goodness you've both worked out what to do and you're both on the same page.
I think if you have a poorly cut M currently, an H is going to look blindingly white. Could you ask @Rhino to do a lineup video of your candidate stones in different lighting conditions so you can see what they look like?
The accepted wisdom for old cuts is that they face up very white so if you were interested in increasing size, you could look in the IJK range as well and likely still have a stone that's a lot brighter and whiter than your M. Just an option since you did already say that the 2ct was too big.
With the AVC, you know that light return isn't an issue so it takes the guesswork out of that side of the selection process.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
What an emotional rollercoaster! but thank goodness you've both worked out what to do and you're both on the same page.
I think if you have a poorly cut M currently, an H is going to look blindingly white. Could you ask @Rhino to do a lineup video of your candidate stones in different lighting conditions so you can see what they look like?
The accepted wisdom for old cuts is that they face up very white so if you were interested in increasing size, you could look in the IJK range as well and likely still have a stone that's a lot brighter and whiter than your M. Just an option since you did already say that the 2ct was too big.
With the AVC, you know that light return isn't an issue so it takes the guesswork out of that side of the selection process.

Thank you....Yes - I emailed! Hopefully he can help, the chat feature on the website isn't working. :(

I guess now I am paranoid and am so scared of a warmer stone! Looking at the runners up, the E really is my least favorite aside from the color. Maybe I should just scratch that one off the list.

I also missed this one, but for some reason it looks "warmer" than the other I color stones....maybe I am crazy?

1.27 VS2 I

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
I wouldn't worry so much about color in a beautifully cut "antique" diamond as they will face up much whiter than intended. Even if you go down to a K you will likely be shocked at how white it is! Given that, of course the stone should be mind-clean as well as eye-clean ;-) I would definitely not rule the slightly lower colors out and compare them side by side, before going straight to an H or a G!

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
Jon is very helpful and patient so don't hesitate to ask tons of questions. Good old gold also carries AVC so you might want to check their inventory. Jon used to own GOG.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jon is very helpful and patient so don't hesitate to ask tons of questions. Good old gold also carries AVC so you might want to check their inventory. Jon used to own GOG.

Just wanted to clarify this. Jon's mom owns - and has always owned - GOG. GOG's AVCs tend to be a smidge more expensive than Jon's.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to clarify this. Jon's mom owns - and has always owned - GOG. GOG's AVCs tend to be a smidge more expensive than Jon's.

Thank for chiming in.

I didn't see anything in their inventory that is actually in my budget! They were over $7k :(

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t think you can go wrong with any of Jon’s AVCs. Seriously the cutting is phenomenal! Personally, I would skip the E color unless you’re extremely color sensitive. You pay a lot more for that level of white and it’s just not necessary unless you’re really particular.

I have an O colored AVC from him and it’s actually a lot whiter / brighter than I expected from looking at his website. It’s not white, mind you, but a nice antique lace color. I think when it comes to an older cut like that, you can pull off warmth easily. I think for your e-ring, you could go down to a K without really sacrificing color.

I‘m adding a pic of my O colored AVC just so you can see how it looks next to whiter diamonds.
7FE5D129-7148-42F3-8814-4E6ED6F31ECD.jpeg 8E8C3242-B7C0-40BC-B1E2-130D383E46E5.jpeg

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I don’t think you can go wrong with any of Jon’s AVCs. Seriously the cutting is phenomenal! Personally, I would skip the E color unless you’re extremely color sensitive. You pay a lot more for that level of white and it’s just not necessary unless you’re really particular.

I have an O colored AVC from him and it’s actually a lot whiter / brighter than I expected from looking at his website. It’s not white, mind you, but a nice antique lace color. I think when it comes to an older cut like that, you can pull off warmth easily. I think for your e-ring, you could go down to a K without really sacrificing color.

I‘m adding a pic of my O colored AVC just so you can see how it looks next to whiter diamonds.
7FE5D129-7148-42F3-8814-4E6ED6F31ECD.jpeg 8E8C3242-B7C0-40BC-B1E2-130D383E46E5.jpeg

That really is pretty. What color are the stones in the halo? Holding my M next to whiter melee made it look just TERRIBLE

It is warmer than I am after, no doubt, but it really is reassuring.

I think you are right. The E is off the list. It doesn't make my heart sing.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That really is pretty. What color are the stones in the halo? Holding my M next to whiter melee made it look just TERRIBLE

It is warmer than I am after, no doubt, but it really is reassuring.

I think you are right. The E is off the list. It doesn't make my heart sing.

I believe the melee diamonds are G/H color. I think that most people start seeing a tint (from the side) around J. If you want to avoid all tint you may want to stay above that. I do think you’ll be pleasantly surprised no matter which one you pick.

L

lydial

Why not this one? It is bigggerrr.....https://www.distinctivegem.com/collections/august-vintage-cushion/products/1-27ct-i-vs2-august-vintage-cushion-brilliant-74184527

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Why not this one? It is bigggerrr.....https://www.distinctivegem.com/collections/august-vintage-cushion/products/1-27ct-i-vs2-august-vintage-cushion-brilliant-74184527

Oh yes, I am going to add that one to my list :D There is a 1.25 VS2 J on the site too, but I think it has too much of a tint...although for a $1.1k difference...maybe worth considering?

For some reason the 1.046 is speaking to me...but I definitely need to still see side by side comparison.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
This is so exciting!
I know it's an L, and a little more squared, but check out the video he has on it. It faces up pretty white and it's a great size!

joelly

Ideal_Rock
I am so looking forward to your soon-to-be AVC. I love AVC but I don’t have one. It will be beautiful I’m sure.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
This is so exciting!
I know it's an L, and a little more squared, but check out the video he has on it. It faces up pretty white and it's a great size!

Oh that is really pretty - thanks for sharing.

I see with my eyes that it looks lovely and softly warm, but I think for it to be "mind clean" (is that such a thing for color? LOL) I can't go below a J (even that feels lower than I want...) - I know it might sound nutty. I just would be devastated if I discovered it was too warm day-to-day (as that is my primary dislike of my current stone although I realize that might be impacted by cut / clarity!)

I think I will cut my size losses, stay focused on color....I have to remind myself, my 2 carat feels too big, but I know I am looking at a huge size drop (hence me looking at a 3-stone to add a little coverage back!)

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I am so looking forward to your soon-to-be AVC. I love AVC but I don’t have one. It will be beautiful I’m sure.

Aww thank you! Stay tuned!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
It's not nutty at all.
I get ya, in that case, I am loving the 1.046. :love:
It's got something 'extra' about it, KWIM? Just jumps out for me in a positive pile of great rocks.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh that is really pretty - thanks for sharing.

I see with my eyes that it looks lovely and softly warm, but I think for it to be "mind clean" (is that such a thing for color? LOL) I can't go below a J (even that feels lower than I want...) - I know it might sound nutty. I just would be devastated if I discovered it was too warm day-to-day (as that is my primary dislike of my current stone although I realize that might be impacted by cut / clarity!)

I think I will cut my size losses, stay focused on color....I have to remind myself, my 2 carat feels too big, but I know I am looking at a huge size drop (hence me looking at a 3-stone to add a little coverage back!)
Honestly get videos of all of them and if it's possible, see if you can get your top contenders sent to you for review. I think you will be very surprised at the difference that proper cutting does to the colour.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
It's not nutty at all.
I get ya, in that case, I am loving the 1.046. :love:
It's got something 'extra' about it, KWIM? Just jumps out for me in a positive pile of great rocks.

I feel exactly the same way...the proportions feel just right to me, and it looks really white for an I (but what do I know) - it does look less tinted than some of the Hs!

I am already envisioning it with some .3-.5 AVC side stones (I need to ask if they have anything that matches!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Honestly get videos of all of them and if it's possible, see if you can get your top contenders sent to you for review. I think you will be very surprised at the difference that proper cutting does to the colour.

Thank you - appreciate the push. I am sure you are right.

I can't wait until @Rhino responds to my email!! Tehe just figured out the tagging functionality in PS! :)

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock

Ah! Good to know this, I always thought Jon owned GOG.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah! Good to know this, I always thought Jon owned GOG.

I'm sorry to threadjack here, but... @Diamondbug - your avatar photo is GORGEOUS! I've never really looked at it closely before, but - gees louise! - it's luscious!!

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sorry to threadjack here, but... @Diamondbug - your avatar photo is GORGEOUS! I've never really looked at it closely before, but - gees louise! - it's luscious!!

Well thank you!! Coming from you, it's a huge compliment!! That DK is genius with precious metals :kiss2:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Okay - so all of the stones are with the cutter in Antwerp - so I have to narrow down to the my top two so they can be shipped for videos!

I started thinking about side stones....I wonder if a more economical center stone will be a better choice (below $5.5k) so I can get slightly bigger sides!

I think I am leaning towards:

0.983 I VS1
1.046 I VS1

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
I don't want to offend you, but honestly I think you're too indecisive and uneducated- both about diamonds and settings-: you're going to waste money once more.
I'd buy this
and put it in the Sholdt setting.
End of the story for a bunch of years to come.
Best to you,
purplesilk

Sakuracherry

Brilliant_Rock
Okay - so all of the stones are with the cutter in Antwerp - so I have to narrow down to the my top two so they can be shipped for videos!

I started thinking about side stones....I wonder if a more economical center stone will be a better choice (below $5.5k) so I can get slightly bigger sides!

0.983 I VS1
1.046 I VS1

Hello. I’m not an expert, but I know there is a price jump at the 1ct mark. If I were you, I’d pick the first one and save money for side stones and a setting.

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

0.983 I VS1
1.046 I VS1

I like both of your choices - they have an appealing look in the videos and should face up pretty white. I love 3 stone rings, and you are right that they are great for finger coverage. What kind of side stones would you be looking for to complement your centre AVC?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I will write something unpopular and it is not meant to be unkind.

You just got engaged recently and you have reset that stone, twice, now? In less than a few months?

I would take a step back. Live with it and think about what you want. New settings and new stones are costly. Do you really want a smaller stone? I thought you liked the stone size? How about getting a moissanite, as suggested above, for the Scholdt and see if you like the size in a higher color?

You are going down a lot in size. Or order some sterling rings in CZ with the size of AVC you are looking at before you spend the money. Or do the AVC in moissy and set it in a Stuller setting in 10k. Live with something for at least a year and then revisit it. Figure out what you really want. Not trying to be a wet blanket and sorry about that in advance, but I would really sit and think on this much longer. I recall reading you have longer fingers and are also quite tall- you may not like a smaller stone at all and then how much do you have in this? What are you going to do with the first diamond?

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I will write something unpopular and it is not meant to be unkind.

You just got engaged recently and you have reset that stone, twice, now? In less than a few months?

I would take a step back. Live with it and think about what you want. New settings and new stones are costly. Do you really want a smaller stone? I thought you liked the stone size? How about getting a moissanite, as suggested above, for the Scholdt and see if you like the size in a higher color?

You are going down a lot in size. Or order some sterling rings in CZ with the size of AVC you are looking at before you spend the money. Or do the AVC in moissy and set it in a Stuller setting in 10k. Live with something for at least a year and then revisit it. Figure out what you really want. Not trying to be a wet blanket and sorry about that in advance, but I would really sit and think on this much longer. I recall reading you have longer fingers and are also quite tall- you may not like a smaller stone at all and then how much do you have in this? What are you going to do with the first diamond?

Not being a wet blanket. I like the size visually, but it doesn't feel comfortable.

I was thinking of buying a CZ ring, I think that is a good idea.
I like both of your choices - they have an appealing look in the videos and should face up pretty white. I love 3 stone rings, and you are right that they are great for finger coverage. What kind of side stones would you be looking for to complement your centre AVC?

Thank you, I was thinking AVCs, actually!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
@annagene12 CZ is a good idea. See what the mm size looks like. I have made expensive mistakes. Luckily I was able to return though normally.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results