shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying her a dress for the proposal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lucky177

Shiny_Rock
In January I am going to be proposing to my girlfriend and here is the plan:
After proposing we are going to a fancy dinner and then to see a musical in Cleveland. I wanted to buy her a nice dress for the night. My only concern is it is in Cleveland in January so it is going to be freezing cold. I want to buy a dress that she could be able to wear tights or leggings with (I don''t know the difference).

I know she likes a lot of the dresses on ModClothand here is some that I found Shadow Theater Dress and Bow-t Neck Dress.

Do these seem like a dress she could wear tights or leggings with and still be dressed up? If you see any others on the site that you think would be good feel free to post them, I want to stay around $50.

Thanks for your help

lucky177

Shiny_Rock
Shadow Theater Dress

7007-1.jpg

lucky177

Shiny_Rock
Bow-t Neck Dress

7396-1.jpg

lucky177

Shiny_Rock
By the way, I am leaning more towards the first picture I posted

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/24/2009 10:37:14 AM
Author: lucky177
By the way, I am leaning more towards the first picture I posted
Good choice. I love the shadow theater dress. Classic. Elegant.

She could certainly wear nylons with either. (even thicker ones that would keep her a bit warmer)

Does she have a nice sweater or wrap she could wear with this to keep her shoulders/arms warm?

lucky177

Shiny_Rock
Yeah she has all that, I will give it to her early so I can make sure she has everything beforehand. I am pretty sure I am going to get the Shadow Theater dress.

wsu12

Brilliant_Rock
I vote #1 and I would suggest an opaque tight with it...And by the way that website is ferocious. ...Yay! More shopping
36.gif

Best of Luck!

Collee

Shiny_Rock
What a sweet, sweet gesture. Have you seen the Left in Suspense dress? It's a little bit more than you want to spend but it is dressy yet fun and flirty. 202 people love it so it is quite a popular and adored item. Would look great paired with opaque tights or nude stockings and heels. Not to mention the name, Left in Suspense is SO fitting for the occasion.

I would give the dress as a gift prior to proposing and then present her with the ring as the most perfect accessory to compliment the dress. Or even more "suspenseful", tickets first, then dress, then ring.

ETA - don't worry about the temperature. women often choose fashion over comfort (ie daily wear of, 3+" heels. yup, that's me!)

LISdress.jpg

Collee

Shiny_Rock
back pic

LISback.jpg

Collee

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/25/2009 8:31:16 PM
Also: Weardrobe Dress

I REALLY like this one. Only issue is that she would most likely want to wear a necklace with it (i know i would). I would focus on a dress with a higher neckline so that the ring would be the only piece of jewelry that would be needed to be paired with the dress.

Collee

Shiny_Rock
Again, a little more than you wanted to spend and only available sizes left are l and xl but this Existentialist Dress is adorable.

Collee

Shiny_Rock
pic

exdress.jpg

lucky177

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the help. I am thinking between the Weardrobe, Left in Suspense, and Shadow Theater. I am off to look at other sites for dresses now

Collee

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/25/2009 9:48:07 PM
Thanks for all the help. I am thinking between the Weardrobe, Left in Suspense, and Shadow Theater. I am off to look at other sites for dresses now

You are too cute! I love your enthusiasm. Dress shopping can be overwhelming (even for females). I LOVE dresses and could give you a list of inexpensive sites to browse but I would suggest you stick with the selections that you have already made.

Regardless of which dress you choose, she will look stunning and the night is going to be SO special and memorable.

lucky177

Shiny_Rock
To make it a little more overwhelming I would like some of those sites. It''ll be more difficult, but maybe I''ll find something better.

SomethingSinful

Shiny_Rock
I vote for the Left in Suspense Dress or the Shadow Theater Dress I am just not feeling the Weardrobe it looks to common

Collee

Shiny_Rock
I searched the inexpensive sites that I listed and the pickings are really slim. The only dress that I found that IMO is cute and appropriate for the occasion is the Crystal Solid Dress from Delias. However, the material is polyester, which I am not a huge fan of.

Of the sites that I searched (inexpensive), I much prefer the dresses that you selected.

ETA: note that the Shadow Theater Dress has a cowl neckline (material drapes at neck). check her closet to see if she has any items (dress, top) with this neckline style. personal preference but this neckline is not flattering on me.

lucky177

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much! You were extremely extremely helpful. I''ll be digging through these sites for a week or so and I will post what dress I buy. Thanks again!

Collee

Shiny_Rock
Bumping for update.

pinkteddy

Rough_Rock
PO is so cute and thoughtful!
I don''t think wear the chiffon dress in winter is a good idea. It''s better to get sth thicker, and wear stockings.

lucky177

Shiny_Rock
I am having trouble deciding it is between the shadow theater dress and the weardrobe dress.

blingmyring

Shiny_Rock
Does she have thin shoulders and upper arms? The reason I ask is that the dress with the cowl neck (the first dress) is a bit scooped out at the shoulders / arms which may not always look pretty if your GF is a bit fleshy there. The other choice is a lot easier to wear and is more flattering on most women because of the sleevline. Looking forward to reading what you pick. By the way, I think it''s adorable that you''re going to so much trouble to pick out the dress. We want to see the ring too !

havernell

Brilliant_Rock
I like your idea of getting your girlfriend a dress to wear for the night, but if you can, I''d order from a place that has free/low cost returns and order the dress in more than one size. Women''s clothing sizes can vary quite a bit from designer to designer and even between pieces from the same store. I''d hate for you to pick out the perfect dress for her and order it in the size you think she is only to have her put it on that night to find that it doesn''t fit and that she can''t wear it. So, order the dress in 2 or 3 sizes and then just return the ones that don''t fit after you get engaged.

Also, do you have any outlets around you? That might be a great place to shop for dresses (and you can easily return dresses to a store near you). Outlets have lots of dresses in stock now for the holidays, so you''d probably have a pretty good selection to choose from. Plus, the sales people will probably be excited to help you if you tell them you are shopping for an engagement dress!

Best of luck!

Collee

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/8/2009 11:59:38 AM
I am having trouble deciding it is between the shadow theater dress and the weardrobe dress.
I MUCH prefer the Weardrobe dress. The cowl neck of the Shadow Theater dress is not a universal loved style. As mentioned, check her closet to confirm that she owns tops or dresses with cowl necks. IMO, the Weardrobe dressy is and will remain a classic style. However, keep in mind that the v-neck style often looks best accessorized with a necklace.
31.gif

lucky177

Shiny_Rock
I am thinking Weardrobe Dress, as for the necklace... Free shipping for orders over $75, so I am going to look for a necklace on ModCloth

lucky177

Shiny_Rock
I purchased the Weardrobe Dress in two sizes. I am thinking of giving that too her before the engagement night just in case the dress doesn''t work out and in case she needs any tights or anything else.

I almost ruined it last night. The ring is hidden in my room and it just felt like a really perfect opportunity to propose. But, I held strong haha. A little over a month to go! I am going crazy!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results