shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying gems in Bangkok

Lacey126

Rough_Rock
Hi Pricescope! Happy New Year!

A big thank you to @suzanne2 who so kindly helped me to make my niece's Christmas with a beautiful sparkly purple heart shaped spinel and several other lovely gems. Between that and some other Etsy purchases (she loves pink and purple, so we got a bunch of amethysts) that I managed to navigate with the help of posters here, I think her collection is off to a good start... however her appetite for gemstones has only increased ;)2

I'm back to ask for your advice again. There is a good chance that later this year I might have an opportunity to stop over in Bangkok for a few days. Is it feasible for someone such as myself who knows nothing about gemstones to think about trying to buy a few stones there? Nothing really expensive: her mother and I have agreed that at her age (she's still in elementary school!) we don't want to exceed $40-50 on a stone, but in my earlier thread other posters had named Jeff Davies and multicolour as good options and I recalled that they were both in Bangkok. Does anyone know if they have storefronts? Will they think I'm wasting their time if I state my measly budget? Or are there any other vendors that might be worth a visit in the area in this situation?

I have never been to Thailand before and am not sure at all what to expect.

TIA!

AmethystHope

Rough_Rock
Hi @Lacey126, we recently moved back to Canada from Bangkok. While living in Bangkok, we made a few purchases from Multicolour. David is very gracious and accommodating. Multicolour is not a storefront/retail location and you should reach out in advance if you plan to visit. Let David know the reason for your visit; the amount of money you are looking to spend should not be an issue - many stones in the inventory are priced in the range you are looking to purchase. Hope this helps!

Lacey126

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much, AmethystHope- that’s exactly the response I was hoping for. I’ll reach out to David and look forward to some sparkly times ahead! :P2

AmethystHope

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much, AmethystHope- that’s exactly the response I was hoping for. I’ll reach out to David and look forward to some sparkly times ahead! :P2

No worries, have fun! Like any huge city, Bangkok can be a bit intimidating when visiting for the first time; but with advance planning you’ll set yourself up to enjoy the city and its culture.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results