shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying diamonds in the Caribbean...should we consider it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
As most of you are aware, my DH and I are leaving on a red-eye out of LAX on Tuesday for St. Lucia. Because of my love for diamonds and the exictement I have over them, I have a sneaky feeling that maybe--just maybe--DH might want to look into buying something of a sparkly nature while we are on our long over due honeymoon/anniversary trip to St. Lucia. DH and I were wrapped up in all of the V-Day flower deliveries for our flower shop and he didn''t get me anything, so I KNOW he wants to get something to make up for that...Is this a good idea or not?

I need some advice from those of you that have vacationed there and/or know something about this that I obviously do not...remember, we leave on Tuesday night and I am really uneasy about this without YOUR input!!! HELP!!!
emotion-20.gif

Midnight00

Rough_Rock
My husband and I went on a cruise that included stops in St. Marten and St. Thomas. We were definitely interested in doing some watch and jewelry shopping. We were very disappointed with the quality and prices. I ended up getting two small necklaces (each around $150), just because I really wanted to get something.... I would not feel comfortable buying something substantial there, like large diamonds. Definitely enjoy the trip!!! (other people may have different experiences)

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
My husband bought me a gold Concord watch at H Stern on St. Thomas. I had it checked at a jewelers in Denver when we got home and it was legit and I saved about 30% of the cost in the US plus the tax. I also purchased a modest emerald bracelet in the Caribbean, but I would probably be a little hesitant about any major diamond purchase.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
H Stern is a very nice store. I have bought from there as well. Just be careful of the other stores. Trust your eyes. Some of the stuff is P for poor. If you want to make a small purchase fine. Just don't go there looking for any diamond deals cause they ain't there. A trinket to remind yourself of your trip is great, but don't go buying anything major. You'll regret it. Have a wonderful trip and happy shopping!!
1.gif

green sparkle

Rough_Rock
I was in the carrebean last summer on a cruise that included stops in St. Thomas and St. Lucia. I, like yourself, was excited about the possibility of getting something the sparkles while on my cruise but overall felt very uneasy about buying a major purchase while there in the form of diamonds. I did buy a beautiful Bernard Passman Black Coral bracelet that I adore! Hope you have fun. St. Lucia is a beautiful island.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Better than 90% of the diamonds I have seen from the various Carribiean Islands were not what were promised or were grossly overpriced. Please be careful. There are however some vendors there that can compete with us, sorry I do not know who they are. I just know I have seen a few that were well priced and well cut gems that were exactly as advertised. (Remember that word, FEW.)

Insist on GIA or AGS certs and I recommend no more than three years old, newer can be better, but older can be a stone they have had for a while and they may be willing to bargain better. (But! There is probably a reason it has not sold!)

By all means look, and enjoy the hunt, but be VERY prepared to walk away unless you find a steal deal and can verify that it is the stone that goes with the cert and pay by credit card so that you can protest if you get calf roped. When you think you have found the stone, check in with the people here and make sure you can not get it cheaper here. Obviously if we are talking only a few dollars and you have been able to verify the stone then buy it there as it makes a great story and will make special memories.

I hope you have a WONDERFUL trip and a great time searching!

Wink

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was just surfing another site "don''t get burned when buying diamonds, etc"

and I cam across this and thought of this thread:

Diamond, CZ or Moissanite?
Diamond lookalikes can fool you
This does not happen too much in the U.S., but when you go overseas or to the Caribbean isles, there are no laws protecting the consumer. Some diamond lookalikes can fool you. You might come home from Mexico with a $2 cubic zirconia that cost you $2,000. In our opinion, you will not get any deals in Cozumel or Jamaica or anywhere else, and you are quite likely to pay too much or not receive a diamond at all. Diamonds are a world market and trade at essentially the same price everywhere. There is no such thing as a better place to buy diamonds.
Solution: Never buy a diamond on a trip. You have no recourse if something goes wrong.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/19/2006 2:42:38 PM
Author: Wink
Better than 90% of the diamonds I have seen from the various Carribiean Islands were not what were promised or were grossly overpriced. Please be careful. There are however some vendors there that can compete with us, sorry I do not know who they are. I just know I have seen a few that were well priced and well cut gems that were exactly as advertised. (Remember that word, FEW.)

Insist on GIA or AGS certs and I recommend no more than three years old, newer can be better, but older can be a stone they have had for a while and they may be willing to bargain better. (But! There is probably a reason it has not sold!)

By all means look, and enjoy the hunt, but be VERY prepared to walk away unless you find a steal deal and can verify that it is the stone that goes with the cert and pay by credit card so that you can protest if you get calf roped. When you think you have found the stone, check in with the people here and make sure you can not get it cheaper here. Obviously if we are talking only a few dollars and you have been able to verify the stone then buy it there as it makes a great story and will make special memories.

I hope you have a WONDERFUL trip and a great time searching!

Wink
I agree with Wink. Especially his first sentence. I average 4-5 consumer complaint issues a month regarding misrepresented quality where the island jewelers guarantee your item will appraise for double or triple back in the states. Usually, the item is valued at the price you paid. A woman cried in my office after spending 12K on three diamonds that were worth around 7K. She had no paperwork, just a receipt. It''s heart breaking to see. Many appraisals are hand written with overgraded color and clarity. And we won''t even mention CUT. Of course, I''m sure there are very reputable jewelers as well....but as always Caveat Emptor (Buyer Beware).

HAVE A WONDERFUL TRIP! ENJOY!

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Jewelry makes a wonderful souvenir of a visit to a beautiful place. It’s easy to pack, it’s not very perishable, there are plenty of dealers anxious to sell you some, and most people on vacation have more time to spend shopping than they do during their regular schedule. By all means, shop away, but don’t expect to find a bargain in the Caribbean and don’t believe it when you think you’ve found one. Rents in the cruise ports are among the highest on the planet and, although they may be able to get inexpensive sales help by employing the local community, they seem to prefer to import foreign workers because it lends an upscale image to the shops. The notion that this is a good place to look for a ‘deal’ on diamonds is pure balderdash that is being propagated by the system of commissions and kickbacks associated with the cruise lines. I’m with Jeff, I see a steady stream of this and it’s almost always a disappointing end to an otherwise enjoyable vacation. Buy a trinket or two if you like, but don’t let them convince you that it’s either better or less expensive than what you would get in the US. It’s just not so.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I would not. What''s the point when there are so many great vendors here in the states like WF? Why chance it? I think the anxiety of getting ripped off would take all the fun out of it for me. I''m sure that there are a FEW great buys out there but I don''t think that buying diamonds is much fun if I have to be on my guard and so suspicious. Hell, I can shop ebay from the comfort of my desk if I wanted that!

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
Noooooo!
Don''t do it Dee!
Get yourself a cute little pendant, something to remind you of the trip, but no diamonds!
My MIL was majorly ripped off on a ring she purchased there...I warned her before she left, but she couldn''t resist.
Got it appraised here in CA, she paid about double what she should have. Grrrrr. That''s what she gets for not listening to me!
What are you going to do? Fly BACK to complain? Not likely, that''s why they get away with this robbery.
Just enjoy the beauty, drink lots of umbrella drinks, and save the diamond $$$ for when you return. :)

fisiogrl

Shiny_Rock
I agree with all.
I thought that we could find some deals, but the G coloured stones that I first came across were yucky. Yellow. After looking through the first store, I figured that I would not waste my time and spend some time on the beach with a drink instead. It is nicer to have time to do the research and not feel rushed when buying expensive stuff.

Even the watches that we saw were cheaper on ebay!

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks to all of you...I was away from PS for a substantial amount of time, so I am sorry I have not been around to respond directly to any of you...

I appreciate what most of you have said about being wary, cautious and purchasing maybe something small but to stay away from the diamonds and I felt that same way initially. Your support and guidance is invaluable!!!

Thank you SO much...and I will share pics of the trip when I get back...
emhot.gif

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
I have been involved as Neil and Jeff have in being totally having to give customers who bought on a cruise line bad news.

There is one Major chain of stores in all the Caribbean ports that people on cruise ships tell you they "guarantee" better prices an quality than what you can buy here.

In investigative work, I have learned this company steers people away from smaller merchants, and they THEY ACTUALLY OWN THE COMPANY that are linked up with the cruise ships.

Recently, I looked at a pair of diamond earrings, where on the EGL plot a large natural was drawn. The EGL report didn''t say what the mark was. However upon close examination of it, it turned out to be a break in the stone''s edge caused by setting.
The "good" thing about it was that since it was drawn on the plot of the stone, the seller could not blame the buyer for having caused it. The other diamond didn''t match the other as well.

In attempting to get this matter corrected the store offered four more pairs of diamonds, none of which any of the pairs matched properly. The purcahser did finally get a refund, but only after expending endless hours and letters, and getting the credit card company to charge back the merchant.

In addition rectifying these situations can be troublesome, due to no protection in islands that are not part of the US.

If you do get tempted ( and you probably shouldn''t ) READ THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF SALE. DESPITE WHAT THE STORE EMPLOYEES TELL YOU, ONCE YOU SIGN THE PURCHASE SLIP YOU ARE BOUND TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS ON THE RECEIPT.

COMMONLY THEY HAVE VERY RESTRICTIVE CLAUSES, SUCH AS YOU HAVE TO FIND AN APPRAISER WHO DOES NOT IN ANY WAY SELL JEWELRY, AND THEY HAVE TO BE CERTIFIED. PLUS THE STONES HAVE TO BE MISREPRESENTED BY MORE THAN ONE GRADE. THIS MEANS TWO GRADES SO THERE IS A BUILT IN INTEREST TO MISREPRESENT BY ONE GRADE, WITH NO RECOURSE FROM THE CONSUMER.

On a more personal note, we all like meaningful mementos of trips - but should you get "stuck" by one of these guys, it will taint all the nice memories you intend to remember and treasure.

As far as saving money, realize that most of the jewelry imported to the carib, isn''t made there. Much of it is made in the good old USA, and you can buy it generally for less here.

Rockdoc

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
I''d be very careful indeed. I remember looking in Grenada when I was there a few years ago. The quality of the diamonds seem to be like all consumer items in tourist catchment areas - tourist quality and inflated tourist prices! Stick to quality vendors in the States for great diamonds. However, trinkets and low priced fun jewelery is always a great buy in the Caribbean. Have a FAB honeymoon/anniversary vacation.

LuvThatBling

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm going to add another note of caution about buying diamonds in the Caribbean. I have been to some of the islands & the quality of the merchandise in the shops was not spectacular. I think you could probably do much better with one of the online vendors here. I think it's fine to buy something as a momento of your trip but I wouldn't buy something really expensive without using a LOT of caution. If you can get a recommendation from a person who bought at your destination, had the item independently appraised upon return to the States and is really happy with the quality/price, I would go that route, and even then, proceed very cautiously.

I have bought a ring & earrings in the Caribbean and while I enjoy wearing them to remind me of my trip, they were no bargain. I could have bought something similiar in the States for about the same price. However, I bought them solely as momentos & did not invest a lot of $$$ so they are fine for that purpose. I have heard, and known, several very, very upset buyers of jewelry in the Caribbean.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Hey Deanne,

You''ve received good advice here, but there''s a way to solve this... Simply get a ticket for one of the PS appraisers to St.Lucia. Heck, I bet they''d throw in the onsite analysis for free!
2.gif

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2006 10:56:51 AM
Author: JohnQuixote
Hey Deanne,

You''ve received good advice here, but there''s a way to solve this... Simply get a ticket for one of the PS appraisers to St.Lucia. Heck, I bet they''d throw in the onsite analysis for free!
2.gif
Hi John

While it''s a good idea in princple, I think an appraiser schlepping in the big Halliburton Porta Lab, I''d be personna non gratis in most of the stores there.

I can just visualize me spreading all the testing goodies all over their counter, and other customers being turned into real p.i.a. for the store. Since many of the stores also make a regular practice of trying to get the customer''s a bit "tipsy" with drinks, I think mine would get a serious dose of rat poison in it !

But I''d like a cruise.....and having done an assignment before for Deanna, she''d be fun to take a cruise with - sure her hubby would "love" me acommpanying them, on a romantic trip. ...

Rockdoc

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deanna,

I have bought some pieces on my trips to the Caribbean and while I thought I was getting "great" stuff, I didn't do as well as I thought. I have limited my purchases to St. Thomas and there are some decent dealers there, but by and large, the quality isn't there and returning something once you leave is really really difficult. The cruiseships have "alliances" with certain sellers. For example, go on a Royal Caribbean cruise and you'll believe "Diamonds International" is the greatest diamond seller in the world. The reality is the cruise ship receives a kickback from every purchase and the seller's spend beaucoup bucks ($$$) advertising on the cruise line. On your cruise there will be "Shopping Seminar." The activities director will host it and he/she will be the sweetest most genuinely interested in your shopping satisfaction person you've ever met. It's actually a hoot to attend one of these seminars. It's usually playing on your incabin TV as well.

Now that said. There are some decent things you can buy. Even diamonds. For example, on a recent cruise to Cozumel, I stopped in Diamonds International and they sell the 88 collection. But, they're no less expensive than they would be in the states. It's a branded diamond, so it's actually pretty nicely cut stones. Also, Diamonds International does have locations stateside, so you can return something with them, but you'll have to exchange, not get your money back.

I have also purchased watches at good savings in the caribbean and I bought myself a nice man's white gold bracelet.

Getting a nice trinket as a means of remembering a nice vacation is a fun thing. Just make sure you don't buy into the hype that your getting the deal of the century. And if you do buy something, ENJOY it, but don't look to trade it or upgrade it at a later date.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You have gotten a world of excellent advice. Shop all you want and buy with caution. The advice is well balanced and you can trust it.

One thing for sure is the huge variety of merchandise for sale in the islands. There is more colored stone jewelry for sale there than in most US stores. There are some very good desgins being offered. You can get some great ideas there.

I''d say that wrist watches are tempting because of discounting, but you can get discounts in the US too, if you are a shopper.

The island stores have done a great job of promoting themselves. The US jewelery industry has done less of a job in this regard. Monthly, we see people who have made large island purchases that they regret. These people are just the tip of a large, invisible iceberg of problems.

Have a wonderful trip. Enjoy it and don''t worry a lot about making a purchase. The shopping is the most fun anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results