shape
carat
color
clarity

BUYING DIAMOND IN DUBAI

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Balustroid

Rough_Rock
I live in Dubai. Just over two weeks ago, I discovered a jeweller selling AGS Ideal cut diamonds, among other certified diamonds and jewellery pieces. I was very excited to find the AGS diamonds since I determined to buy an AGS Ideal. The jewellers have 6 AGS Ideals and they are loose stones (not sealed). They showed me the diamonds and the copies of the certs. I asked them how to be certain that the diamond which I am going to buy is what it says on the cert. So, the jeweller started to measure the weight of the diamond, took its measurements (height and diameter) and that was it. Here''s the problem: I thought that was very brief, since I know that the most important thing for them to prove to me is the diamond''s table width, crown angle, girdle and pav depth (which is what I''ll be paying for the AGS Ideal. If I am not bothered about these measurements, I would buy a sealed certified diamond (for eg HRD) and would pay less as well!)

What is the best thing for me to do? I haven''t asked about their return policy (I doubt that they offer full refund, cooling off period etc).

BTW, I found a jeweller selling Hearts On Fire here. Is USD 13,000 "normal" for 1.00 HOF H VS2? I thought that was rather pricey.

Hodne

Rough_Rock
WOW, that's more than double the price
6.gif
I would keep away from this store.

Check out this link: http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_01ct_h_vs1_h%26a.htm

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
If it's a true HOF, there is a premium for the name, but that still sounds a few thousand higher than what you'd pay in the US for the same stone.

robbe

Shiny_Rock
hello balustroid,

i had a similar problem last year in dubai when i was selling loose diamonds to a local client.

although he was able to measure and weigh the diamonds and confirm they matched the reports,

he suggested one of the local labs should confirm validity.

to my knowledge there are 2 labs in dubai, the laboratory of the municipality of dubai and igi-dubai.

you could demand a report from one of them and after that you just compare results.

in dubai, i only submitted once to igi. all went smoothly.

good luck, robbe

Balustroid

Rough_Rock
Hi robbe
Thanks for the useful info. I shall do the same.

Hodne & LawGem,
Yes the HOF price is very high and no discount!! AGS certs and laser inscribed. Very nice stones though.
love.gif

ladydia

Rough_Rock
I am working in a jewelry manufacturing company. I am sure that a 1.00 ct diamond with VS clarity and G-H color should not excess US$10,000, no matter the grade of cutting.

goldenringlets

Shiny_Rock
Hi Balustroid
Why not purchase on the internet?

Or, hop on a plane to New York for the difference in price that you would save?

G.

Balustroid

Rough_Rock
Hi Goldenringlets
Going to New York to look for a diamond is a very nice idea. Infact, my husband has suggested that.

Ladydia, thanks for the price guide. I am going to buy an AGS Ideal, no brand name
2.gif

Taking robbe's advice, I have contacted the Dubai Municipality Lab and spoke to a gentleman (in charge). He was very professional and informative. He suggested me to ask the jeweller with the diamond I am thinking of buying from to send the stone to the Municipality Lab for tests. After 4 days, the jeweller will get back the diamond, plus a diamond grading report for a reasonable fee. The lab is registered with CIBJO and they test and analyse precious metals, diamonds, gems and pearls.

Now I feel a bit better. Thanks to robbe and Pricescope.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results