shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying diamond "blind"

fo98k

Rough_Rock
Hi, due to my unique circumstances, I'll have to buy my diamond online (although this is not recommended).

I have the GIA code but nothing else. Considering it is impossible for me to see the diamond in flesh before purchasing:

* What can I do to best ensure diamond is a good purchase?
* What can I ask the seller?
* What documents or info can I request from the seller?
* What can go wrong with a diamond if everything looks good on paper?

Thanks!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When you say this isn't recommended, what do you mean? Lots of people here buy diamonds online. However, if you mean you're buying it without photos, then I suppose I know what you mean. It's really not the end of the world. Buy a round. Keep the clarity high enough that you don't have to worry about inclusions. See diamonds in person so you know what color tolerance you have first, buy a gia xxx or ags 0 diamond and stick to proportions that traditionally result in good performing stones. We can certainly help. Are you in the US or elsewhere? What's your budget? Make sure to notice florescence and ask the seller questions if it's strong or above as to whether it's cloudy or not.

fo98k

Rough_Rock
Niel|1460290718|4017547 said:
When you say this isn't recommended, what do you mean? Lots of people here buy diamonds online. However, if you mean you're buying it without photos, then I suppose I know what you mean. It's really not the end of the world. Buy a round. Keep the clarity high enough that you don't have to worry about inclusions. See diamonds in person so you know what color tolerance you have first, buy a gia xxx or ags 0 diamond and stick to proportions that traditionally result in good performing stones. We can certainly help. Are you in the US or elsewhere? What's your budget? Make sure to notice florescence and ask the seller questions if it's strong or above as to whether it's cloudy or not.
Well, I read on some websites that you must see the diamond with your own eyes before buying. But I guess that's not necessary.

What do you mean by seeing photos? Regular photos of the diamond? Does that tell much?

To summarize my situation: I found a GIA 3EX diamond. H color - VS1 - really good proportions with a 1.0 HCA score. Faint fluoresence. So what can go wrong here? I guess VS1 rating means it's definitely eye-clean, right? Thanks!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
fo98k|1460293855|4017561 said:
Niel|1460290718|4017547 said:
Well, I read on some websites that you must see the diamond with your own eyes before buying. But I guess that's not necessary.

What do you mean by seeing photos? Regular photos of the diamond? Does that tell much?

To summarize my situation: I found a GIA 3EX diamond. H color - VS1 - really good proportions with a 1.0 HCA score. Faint fluoresence. So what can go wrong here? I guess VS1 rating means it's definitely eye-clean, right? Thanks!

You can tell some from regular photos, yes. I think everything you're saying makings it sound nice, particularly if ,because you can't see photos, its a good deal. Do they have a return policy if you don't like it?

Honestly rounds provide enough information that if you check all the proportions and info on a gia reports, you can be fairly certain of what you're getting. Some could probably not pick, but to the majority of people differences will be negligible

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
How to buy diamonds safely online:

1) Choose the dealer first, then the diamond, not the other way around. Nearly every dealer can get you what you want and all of the 'safety' issues have to do with the dealer. Read what it says on their website, especially the terms and conditions page, and especially the return/refund policy. Look for their history with Google. Check them out on the review sites. Search this very forum for their name and see what other people have had to say about their experiences. If they don't convince you that they're the sort of outfit you want to do business with, don't. There's tons of competition out there. Don't use price as your only metric.

2) Use a credit card. Most dealers will offer a discount for cash or wire, and this is prudent if you've got experience and trust in the dealer but if you're nervous at all, the CC company is your best friend if problems come up. This protection costs about 2-3% and, for most people, it's well worth it for the peace of mind if nothing else. Refuse to do business with a dealer who won't/can't take plastic. Do not agree to a restocking fee or any sort of non-refundable deposit.

3) Pay attention to the mounting, not just the diamond. Not all diamonds will work in every mounting and if your plan involves having someone else set it, make sure they're in the loop. Don't just assume they'll have no issues.

4) Inspect it when it arrives. Get it appraised by an expert who is working for you, not them. Show it to your friends, your mother, even competitive jewelers and see what they think of it. Walk it around the block and look at it in a lot of different lighting environments. Make sure to do this while you're within your return period so if you decide you want to send it back, you can. It's not a done deal until you're happy. On this theme, the seller should have no say whatever in who you consult with or what constitutes a valid return beyond the timing and that you must return it in saleable condition. Be careful with it, and be careful with the documents as these will need to be returned too and you are probably uninsured during this period (there are exceptions here by the way). Refuse to do business with any dealer who won't allow this.

5) IF you decide to return it, read carefully the return procedures and follow them to the letter. Most of the dealers have pretty similar procedures but they do vary slightly. Ask. Get an RMA.

6) Give yourself enough time. Shipping is usually overnight and mostly these folks ship pretty fast but if you need to return it and get another one, that takes time. The setter is going to take time. The appraisal is going to take time. Don't let time pressure be the problem.

7) Be straight with your seller about what you are looking for. They don't want returns any more than you do and if you or they can predict in advance that a particular stone will be a problem, it saves everyone money and time. It benefits no one to be coy.

8) If you're buying the entire piece from one source, not just the diamond, which is a good plan by the way, consider having them ship the diamond for your inspection first. Usually that's the biggest piece of the deal and frequently setting it significantly changes the return policy. Again, read the terms and conditions.

9) ALL of these rules apply if you're buying locally too. Local transactions often go a little faster but you have exactly the same risks for exactly the same reasons. Assuming you're not personally a diamond expert, and maybe even if you are, that's 'blind' too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results