shape
carat
color
clarity

buying an engagement ring on Ebay

scoobyd00ooo

Rough_Rock
Hi Guys,

I was hoping to find some insight on whether or not I should purchase a ring on E-Bay

Here are the details listing details:

14K yellow gold engagement ring sitting 5/16 inch above the finger, measuring 5/16 inch wide with a 4.1 MM band. The center is securely four corner prong set with a full cut, fully faceted, bright, white, fiery, ultra-impressive, square brilliant princess cut 1.37CT diamond measuring 6.44 MM by 5.8 MM of I color and SI2 clarity. The center diamond is flanked by twelve (12) perfectly matched, invisible channel set, full cut, fully faceted, princess cut diamonds that graduate in size totaling .72CT. Recessed on the outer edges are twenty-eight (28) shimmering faceted baguette diamonds totaling .42CT. The forty (40) side diamonds are of I to J color and VS2 to SI1 clarity and make the total in all natural, genuine, untreated, bright, white, fiery diamonds 2.51CTS. The exclusive ring is in flawless condition and has been professionally cleaned and brightly polished. It is marked 14K FD and is a sizable by your jeweler, size 8 1/2.

The price seems a little fishy to me but the seller has excellent ratings. Your thoughts?

Also, if this is legit, what is the lowest size this can go down to if I need it resized?

youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LtfuUb3eEfQ

Thanks for your help to anyone who responds.

Thanks,

Scoobyd0oo

10180a.jpg

10180f.jpg

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
You didn't mention a grading report, does it have one?

scoobyd00ooo

Rough_Rock
They say that the ring comes with a certified appraisal by one of our GIA trained staff for $11,500.00 and weighs 8.6 grams.

don't mention an official GIA certificate

Also, the ring is pre owned.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
scoobyd00ooo|1358210711|3355638 said:
They say that the ring comes with a certified appraisal by one of our GIA trained staff for $11,500.00 and weighs 8.6 grams.

don't mention an official GIA certificate

Also, the ring is pre owned.

I'm not a fan...I wouldn't suggest buying such a ring on ebay unless the store is really really well known and has like 100% positive feedback with a ton of customers. We can find you a gorgeous princess ring for $11k that's GIA/AGS certified...

For example:

This stone:
http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/loose-diamonds/Princess-cut/1.50-carat-J-color-VS2-clarity-sku-128801

With this setting if you like it in yellow gold...
http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/Engagement-Rings/Settings-With-Sidestones/18k-Yellow-Gold-Marquise-and-Baguette-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-item-214

Or this which I think they have in all diamonds or can make it with all diamonds...
http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/Engagement-Rings/Channel-Set-Rings/18k-Yellow-Gold-Channel-Set-Princess-Shaped-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-item-732

scoobyd00ooo

Rough_Rock
The only problem is that I'm a new grad and don't have 11k to spend. This ring is under 4k which is already pushing my budget.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Appraisals provided by the seller typically aren't worth the paper they are written on. They are typically inflated (by a lot) to make the purchaser fell as though they got a good deal. Don't give the appraisal any weight in this situation. Grading is subjective and if it isn't done by a reputable lab such as GIA or AGS then you can't be sure of what you are purchasing. I can claim that a stone is D IF is want to, but that doesn't make it true. I would be shocked if this stone was a SI2 by GIA standards, you can clearly see carbon crystals in the vendor photo, likely the color is off too,but that is harder to determine by photos alone. Cut quality is what will determine a stones potential light performance and we don't have any information on this stones cut either.

I'm all for shopping for a bargain on the second hand market, and there are deals out there for sure, but to protect yourself I would only purchase stones that were accompanied by a grading report from a reputable lab and from a vendor with excellent feedback and a good return policy. If you are still interested in this particular ring, I would contact the vendor to see if they would allow for the purchase to be contingent on an independent third party appraisal.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
scoobyd00ooo|1358211275|3355646 said:
The only problem is that I'm a new grad and don't have 11k to spend. This ring is under 4k which is already pushing my budget.

Oh my goodness! I'm sorry, I read that you had 11k. OK, new search.

OK, this setting:

http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/Engagement-Rings/Pave-Rings/18k-White-Gold-Rounded-Pave-Engagement-Solitaire-item-8140

This stone:

http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/loose-diamonds/Princess-cut/1.00-carat-J-color-VVS2-clarity-sku-169695

Which with the PS discount that JA has, should bring you to your budget or slightly over.

Or simple solitaire like Christina suggested (can always upgrade it later!):

http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/Engagement-Rings/Solitaire/18k-White-Gold-2mm-Knife-Edge-Solitaire-Engagement-Ring-item-7027

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
would you be interesting in some other recommendations based on your budget?

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
A quick look and looks like you could get into a new 1 ct J SI1 with a classic solitaire setting if you were interested. I haven't checked anything preloved yet.

eta actually it looks like you have many different options in the 1 ct range....

scoobyd00ooo

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your help. I just thought I was getting a lot of bang for my buck with that one. Plus its the style my girl friend likes (diamonds on the side).

I guess I'll just stick to GIA rings with a smaller TCW

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
scoobyd00ooo|1358213025|3355670 said:
Thanks for your help. I just thought I was getting a lot of bang for my buck with that one. Plus its the style my girl friend likes (diamonds on the side).

You can search this site too: www.jamesallen.com and find something within your budget. Here's something else I found:

This stone which you may get for about $2500 with the PS discount:
http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/loose-diamonds/Princess-cut/0.91-carat-J-color-SI2-clarity-sku-187685

Either this setting:
http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/Engagement-Rings/Gemstone-Settings/18k-White-Gold-Three-Stone-Princess-Shaped-Blue-Sapphire-Engagement-Ring-item-1821

Or this:
http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/Engagement-Rings/Pave-Rings/14k-White-Gold-Princess-and-Pave-Accents-Engagement-Ring-item-8106

Or even this:
http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/Engagement-Rings/Settings-With-Sidestones/14k-White-Gold-0.54ct-Common-Prong-Round-Shaped-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-item-1105

All of these should bring you under budget. If you like the stone though, put it on hold ASAP. People snatch them up fast. Also, before buying, even though there's a video of the stone (which is the best way to shop online!), I would still just chat their gemologist just confirming clarity and performance.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock

I'll go out on a limb at the risk of offending some by saying that just because your girlfriend likes "diamonds on the side" doesn't mean that ring is for her. There are many elements of that ring that are dated/out-of-style and I personally am not a fan of it. I would stick with more simple and classic rings unless you have a VERY specific idea of what your gf would like. In addition, I'll just echo what the others have said which is that eBay is quite tricky and you're better off sticking with known vendors.

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
sonnyjane said:

I'll go out on a limb at the risk of offending some by saying that just because your girlfriend likes "diamonds on the side" doesn't mean that ring is for her. There are many elements of that ring that are dated/out-of-style and I personally am not a fan of it. I would stick with more simple and classic rings unless you have a VERY specific idea of what your gf would like. In addition, I'll just echo what the others have said which is that eBay is quite tricky and you're better off sticking with known vendors.
I totally agree...

Can you share more specifically what you're looking for?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would not buy a modern cut stone -- princess or round brilliant or any other mass cut style -- on ebay without a lab report. There are some there, but the savings are not very high from the estate sellers. Private sellers will yield better savings, but then there is slightly more risk and rings with lab reports come up infrequently. So I don't think ebay is a good place for modern style diamonds.

Your budget is a really healthy budget in my opinion. I think the national average is around $2k.

If you want to look on the secondary market then ebay is not where I would go. I would look for something consigned by a pricate seller with a reputable dealer who offers protections and return policies. Jewels By Erica Grace have both modern and vintage pieces, most with lab report. Pearlman's also carries consignment goods, but not many I think. And Good Old Gold have some too, but I think you would need to call them.

For example, I think this ring looks like a million bucks, and it costs $3400 (maybe some wiggle room?) with a GIA report:

Pics: http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Modern-and-Estate-Pieces/59ct-Light-Yellow-Radiant-Cut/24327198_KHrSBW#!i=1981617953&k=XLmrVbF

Pricing etc. found here: http://www.jewelsbyericagrace.com/modern_and_estate_rings

Anyways, my point is that if you want to buy used -- and I think that's a great way to make your money go further -- there are better sources than ebay.

SMC

Ideal_Rock

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
That seller is a reputable seller and I think a low risk purchase given their 14 day return policy. I wouldn't be scared if you actually love the ring and think your gf will too. Wth that said, the seller is a bit more expensive than some of the others established estate sellers on ebay but I wouldn't say they are too far off. Also, as others mentioned, the setting is a bit dated so if you are buying it for the diamond .. I would thin about resetting the center stone and selling the setting / salvaging the diamonds in it for another setting (so plan for spending a bit more).

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 20-somethings who were getting engaged when this style was popular are now 50-something.

Princess has a huge table and possibly visible inclusions.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm just so so glad you came onto this forum. I like the James Allen suggestion, the Erica Grace and even the Tiffany (not a princess - is that OK?). I agree that the one you referenced looks dated and is stated SI2 (so perhaps worse). The more info you can provide on what your girlfriend likes, wears etc - the better folks here can assist you. BEST of luck! You're really in good hands here!

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, Run, don't walk from this ring. You really don't know what you are getting. I don't know if you were planning on resetting the stone, but if not, it is a Very dated setting. Go with a reputable dealer. Good luck!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JulieN|1358227560|3355815 said:
The 20-somethings who were getting engaged when this style was popular are now 50-something.

Princess has a huge table and possibly visible inclusions.

Yep...and the 50-somethings dont even like that style anymore!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,
Sorry, but I agree w/everyone who has said that ring is dated. It's also rather klunky and not femine. If could reset the center stone into a solitaire and sell the setting, then that would be an option, but then again, it may be difficult to sell the setting and you may have to sell it at scrap re-sale rates at a pawn shop and in the end not save any money, at all.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results