shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying Akoya Stud earrings - advice please

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Need some guidance :). I'm thinking about buying my daughter-in-law pearl studs. Akoyas probably. She is 30, petite, and quite conservative in her dress. Fair skin and strawberry blonde hair. Beautiful green eyes. Since she is rather conservative, I'm thinking maybe 7-8mm in size. But I dunno. Is there a site that has pictures of pearl studs in the ears so I can make a guesstimate? Also, where would I start looking? Moline of course is one place. What about Pearl Paradise Hanadama? I want great luster which I expect from a high-quality Akoya. Any ideas of a price range? I've looked around and the prices are all over the map!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How sweet of you! She sounds beautiful. I think 7-8mm is a lovely size!

This is my personal order, based on my own buying experiences.
Pearl Paradise's Hanadama will be better than most other online vendors. Very generous return policy.
Takahashi's best will be better than Pearl Paradise's best Hanadama, and will likely costs less, but buying from Takahashi comes with strings. No returns, wire transfer only, pricey shipping.
Moline's top gems will be better than Takahashi's best. Ask about returns.
Mikimoto AAA will be better than Moline's best. The price differential between Moline's best and Miki AAA varies - for some pieces it's significant, for others it's not, case by case. Return policy doesn't have a super generous timeline.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
How sweet of you! She sounds beautiful. I think 7-8mm is a lovely size!

This is my personal order, based on my own buying experiences.
Pearl Paradise's Hanadama will be better than most other online vendors. Very generous return policy.
Takahashi's best will be better than Pearl Paradise's best Hanadama, and will likely costs less, but buying from Takahashi comes with strings. No returns, wire transfer only, pricey shipping.
Moline's top gems will be better than Takahashi's best. Ask about returns.
Mikimoto AAA will be better than Moline's best. The price differential between Moline's best and Miki AAA varies - for some pieces it's significant, for others it's not, case by case. Return policy doesn't have a super generous timeline.

You are the pearl queen! I bow down to you, haha. Personally, I like my pears bigger but I'm not wearing these. Looking around 7-8mm appears small. Maybe I should bump up to 8.5, it's a tough call. I'd like these to be a surprise but heck, I may just have to ask her. Thanks for your wisdom yssie!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From Mikimoto NYC in... June I believe? Maybe May? (2021). Prices haven't changed ::)

I was SO tempted to buy this 8.5mm pair. Never mind that I've already got bigger Miki studs. Beautifully smooth, and insanely lustrous and iridescent... The 8mm pair had the strongest pink overtone but surface is visibly hammered.

C_Akoya_1.png

C_Akoya_2.png

C_Akoya_5.png

C_Akoya_4.png

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous! Thanks for the size comparison. That really helps. Seeing your pics, I think the 8mm might be good for her. I remember your vist to Miki - stunning goodies!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ann, I have passed along my smaller pearls to my girls, and I just wanted to agree with you that I wouldn't go under 8mm for age 30+. She may have to get used to the size, but 8mm really isn't big.

I am obviously not a pearl connoisseur like my friend yssie, but I wanted to say that I personally wouldn't buy my girls the highest end pearls like Mikimoto for their first pair of nice pearl earrings. In fact, I've started mine off with the freshwater so that they are easily replaceable if they lose one!

But these are what I would probably buy them once I go to higher quality pearls:

Still nicer than almost anything you'd find in a regular jewelry store, but still easy to replace if one is lost.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From Mikimoto NYC in... June I believe? Maybe May? (2021). Prices haven't changed ::)

I was SO tempted to buy this 8.5mm pair. Never mind that I've already got bigger Miki studs. Beautifully smooth, and insanely lustrous and iridescent... The 8mm pair had the strongest pink overtone but surface is visibly hammered.

C_Akoya_1.png

C_Akoya_2.png

C_Akoya_5.png

C_Akoya_4.png

omgggggg the irridescent ones are perfection.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Sprinkles&Stones started this fantastic size guide thread for a few months ago!! I couldn't find it searching on my phone earlier.

@diamondseeker2006 brings up a good point. Does your DIL wear earrings regularly right now? Since pearls are softer and require more care than other gemstones, if she isn't used to pearls going straight to #MostExpensive is probably not a great idea!

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Rather than choose for her, why not look at any earrings she does wear regularly and base your selection on that, in terms of size, quality and so on?

Rhd3

Shiny_Rock
I think 8 mm is the safest choice but if you're in a position to learn her personal preference then that would be ideal. The one think I've learned from the diamond studs thread is how different the same size can look depending on lobe shape/size. I think pearls are the same.

Reactions: Ann

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Ann, I have passed along my smaller pearls to my girls, and I just wanted to agree with you that I wouldn't go under 8mm for age 30+. She may have to get used to the size, but 8mm really isn't big.

I am obviously not a pearl connoisseur like my friend yssie, but I wanted to say that I personally wouldn't buy my girls the highest end pearls like Mikimoto for their first pair of nice pearl earrings. In fact, I've started mine off with the freshwater so that they are easily replaceable if they lose one!

But these are what I would probably buy them once I go to higher quality pearls:

Still nicer than almost anything you'd find in a regular jewelry store, but still easy to replace if one is lost.

I wanted her to have nice, but honestly, she probably would not know the difference or even care. I know for her wedding she was hunting pearls and found it difficult. I think she ended up with a strand and studs from Dillards. I wanted to buy her the real deal, but my son kinda talked me out of it. Looking back, maybe that was something her parents would do, not her MIL :). I really like the pair you linked. I've researched quite a bit and dang! The price of "nice" has really gone up. Thank you for linking those!

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Rather than choose for her, why not look at any earrings she does wear regularly and base your selection on that, in terms of size, quality and so on?

She wears tiny diamond studs a lot!

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
@Sprinkles&Stones started this fantastic size guide thread for a few months ago!! I couldn't find it searching on my phone earlier.

@diamondseeker2006 brings up a good point. Does your DIL wear earrings regularly right now? Since pearls are softer and require more care than other gemstones, if she isn't used to pearls going straight to #MostExpensive is probably not a great idea!

yssie - great thread and a super guide to sizing!

diamondseeker2006 - she does wear tiny diamond studs. I think the pearls would be an occasional wear. I definitely would provide her with a box or something to store them in.

GeliL

Shiny_Rock
Mikimoto's very best pearls are always be expensive - I have a pair from them that are exquisite but also very expensive. Not all of Miki's pearls are of the same quality though, so the more affordable ones sometimes will not have the same luster.

Do you know what color she likes? Pearls have different overtones, pinks are popular, but I recently got a pair of grey akoyas from Takahashi. @yssie has also gotten from them and seems to enjoy them. Buying from them means it ships from Japan and has no return policy though, but their prices are very good for the quality you pay!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wanted her to have nice, but honestly, she probably would not know the difference or even care. I know for her wedding she was hunting pearls and found it difficult. I think she ended up with a strand and studs from Dillards. I wanted to buy her the real deal, but my son kinda talked me out of it. Looking back, maybe that was something her parents would do, not her MIL :). I really like the pair you linked. I've researched quite a bit and dang! The price of "nice" has really gone up. Thank you for linking those!

I think this is going to be a lobelly gift and its perfectly appropriate for a mother in law to gift something like this any time
Good luck and looking forward to see what you go with

Reactions: Ann

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally like to price out #TheBest and then go down from there according to project specifics and budget. I know Andrew is in Vegas at the moment - I would ask him what he might be able to do. Doesn’t hurt to ask, and he can find genuinely amazing akoya at fair-for-quality (lower than Miki) pricing.

Whatever quality you decide on - you’ll know what the top of your bracket will run, outside branded choices, and you’ll have a few more options to pick from ::)

Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I absolutely love my gemmy Akoyas from Andrew. They were a great price, and I’m 30! I very much appreciate them. I actually love the size…7mm! I have 7.5-8mm pearls too and I wear these the most. But I agree 8mm is a nice size, but I have small lobes so wanted 7mm.

here’s a thread with photos, I specifically wanted a pinkish overtone:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

C_Akoya_1.png

C_Akoya_2.png

C_Akoya_5.png

C_Akoya_4.png

Wow I love those 8mm pair! Delicious

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I personally like to price out #TheBest and then go down from there according to project specifics and budget. I know Andrew is in Vegas at the moment - I would ask him what he might be able to do. Doesn’t hurt to ask, and he can find genuinely amazing akoya at fair-for-quality (lower than Miki) pricing.

Whatever quality you decide on - you’ll know what the top of your bracket will run, outside branded choices, and you’ll have a few more options to pick from ::)

Agree - still have some research to do. And reaching out to Andrew later. Thanks!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results