shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying Advice on Forevermark vs GIA Diamond

Judge

Rough_Rock
Hi

would really appreciate some advice on my prospective diamond purchase. I have been looking with a budget c$9-10k. Amongst many different offerings 2 have recently caught my attention.

The first is a GIA certified diamond through an independent local jeweller -> 1.24 carat, D color, VS1 clarity with radiant cut

The second is a Forevermark diamond -> Round 1.13 carat, D color, SI2 clarity, Excellent cut with similar ratings for polish & symmetry, Depth 60%, Crown 33.3, Girdle 1.6%, Pavillion 43% - 40.8, Medium Flourescence

I have a read so much on diamonds in the last weeks especially with regard to the clarity but remain unsure whether the Forevermark with only SI2 clarity is (a) acceptable given the color and cut characteristics and (b) represents value for $

any advice would be much appreciated
thanks
J

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Judge|1413417803|3767664 said:
Hi

would really appreciate some advice on my prospective diamond purchase. I have been looking with a budget c$9-10k. Amongst many different offerings 2 have recently caught my attention.

The first is a GIA certified diamond through an independent local jeweller -> 1.24 carat, D color, VS1 clarity with radiant cut

The second is a Forevermark diamond -> Round 1.13 carat, D color, SI2 clarity, Excellent cut with similar ratings for polish & symmetry, Depth 60%, Crown 33.3, Girdle 1.6%, Pavillion 43% - 40.8, Medium Flourescence

I have a read so much on diamonds in the last weeks especially with regard to the clarity but remain unsure whether the Forevermark with only SI2 clarity is (a) acceptable given the color and cut characteristics and (b) represents value for $

any advice would be much appreciated
thanks
J
Well, a Radiant vs a Round is a very different style. Are these for you or your intended? If not for you, do you know what she would prefer?

I would probably skip the brand and look at one of our esteemed vendors, Good Old Gold, High Performance DIamonds, Brian Gavin Diamonds...any of them could get you a spectacular round or even radiant (GOG does a lot with some really cool fancies). They're all versed in international shipping.

Judge

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your reply. No its not for me - for my intended :) who hasn't given me any indication of the type of ring / diamond she would ideally like. Im leaning towards the round after looking at a number of designs in various jewelers.

I will take a look at the dealers you suggest - thanks!

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
Hi OP, I agree, skip the Forevermark brand for buying, it's a great starting place to look at diamonds IRL and train your diamond eyes. Also great for looking at similar cut quality stones so you can really see color or clarity differences. But for buying, I really feel you can do just as well on your own with the right support images from the vendor or appraiser and save quite a bit of coin. Besides, in my own search, I went and saw Forevermark diamonds and they are pretty too, but I did not feel they had quite the same level of cut precision as WF or BGD but were considerable more than other branded cuts of similar color/clarity/size. Just my personal experience with FM. I ended up not having a branded cut but still an AGS0 and was able to get a bigger size. So, it's important to know where your comfort level is with all of the 4 C's if you want to go for size.

An Si2 is just fine if the stone is eye clean or the inclusion is prongable or white and does not interfere with cut performance, brilliance, or transparency. Have you seen enough diamonds to feel sure that D color is really necessary (or are their cultural or personal reasons for going this high in color)? Many people find G/H/I still very white (I went J as my cutoff but could have gone for K prolly, lol). Anyway, with your healthy budget you could go up to maybe an unbranded 1.5 ct or thereabouts (if you slid down on color and clarity and maybe some Fluoro). If you wanted to stay in the 1 ct range you could definitely get higher/rarer specs in a top HA cut. It's your choice.

Good luck and keep posting to get the most help. Enjoy your search, it has it's ups and downs but very much worth it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It definitely would not be prudent to pay a similar amount for a D SI2 as a D VS1.

As you look at vendors who specialize in well cut stones such as Good Old Gold and WhiteFlash, please consider F-G color which face up white and will allow you more size. I'd focus on VS2 to eyeclean SI1 to get the most for your money. (I prefer VS, personally, but most here seem to go to SI1 to get a larger stone.)

Judge

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice - much appreciated. Im still looking and in particular at none branded. With regard to the comment about the color, then I have also started looking at F,G and H to compare and contrast and see whats the best deal I get get for my money. I would be prepared to drop in color to ensure an ideal -> excellent cut.

thanks again for your advice
cheers
Julian

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could put two 1 carat diamonds side by side, one worth $20,000 and another worth $10,000 (or less) and 99.99% of the public can't tell them apart.
The visual difference between color and clarity grades can be subtle, but what they do to the price is not subtle at all.

Hence the need for an independent competent third-party like GIA to grade diamonds.
Unlike Forevermark, GIA does not sell the diamonds they grade so there is no conflict of interest.

Forevermark "grades' their own diamonds.
No thanks. :knockout:
I work too hard for my money to take a chance on self-graded diamonds. :knockout:

I feel the same about Tiffany, which also self-grades. :nono:

Judge

Rough_Rock
a fair point - thanks. The search continues..... :read:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results