shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying A Ring In New York

Punks-Tricks

Rough_Rock
My friend is heading to New York from the UK in December and is looking for recommendations of where to buy a diamond ring in NY? His budget will be around $3500 and he will be staying for 5 nights at the beginning of December. He plans to propose with a plastic ring then wants to take her shopping so she can choose. Any recommendations for a reputable jeweller that would fit his budget and be able to resize in a couple of day would be most appreciated. Many Thanks for all your suggestions and I will pass them on.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ID Jewelry and Parks Fine Group Inc. both offer a lot of bang for your buck. I'd suggest that your friend make appointments with both to have some things within budget set aside.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ID jewelry one million percent. do not let him go to the diamond district and get swindled by a random person/place. It's a crazy shark tank and he will pay too much for a bad stone unless he really knows what he's doing. For that reason, I would only visit trusted vendors like IDJ, Parks, and Good Old Gold/Diamonds by Lauren (if they aren't not too out of the way). But in NYC, IDJ would always be my first recommendation.

EC8

Shiny_Rock
For modern stones I would recommend Chris/Brilliantly Engaged; for antique stones Adam/Oldworlddiamonds.
Both on 47th Street, same building, official address 580 5th Avenue
Both are very low key, very helpful.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ID jewelry one million percent. do not let him go to the diamond district and get swindled by a random person/place. It's a crazy shark tank and he will pay too much for a bad stone unless he really knows what he's doing. For that reason, I would only visit trusted vendors like IDJ, Parks, and Good Old Gold/Diamonds by Lauren (if they aren't not too out of the way). But in NYC, IDJ would always be my first recommendation.

We are right on 47th St. but appointments are necessary :wavey:

jkonst

Rough_Rock
and make certain he tells them he wants Pricescope "quality"

I'll second this. I went to IDJ with a pretty substantial budget but little research, and was offered a diamond with a poor cut quality (by Pricescope standards). After leaving and doing more research, I mentioned to them that I wanted a better cut diamond and I was offered something a little better - but it still wasn't of the quality that I was able to find at the ideal vendors recommended here.

Punks-Tricks

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much for the replies and ideas, I will pass them will all the details you have given me, especially the booking an appointment. I'm coming to NY in December so may book myself a slot :) and take my husband (and his wallet) to buy me a surprise!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please tell your friend that they should declare the ring for customs/duty when returning to the UK with it as it’s over the duty free allowance.

Punks-Tricks

Rough_Rock
Please tell your friend that they should declare the ring for customs/duty when returning to the UK with it as it’s over the duty free allowance.
Already told him that! But if he chooses not to then it's up to him.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We found the customs officials very fair, gave us a good rate of exchange and rounded down.

If your friend doesn’t declare the ring and they ever get stopped in the future coming through customs, it could be worse for them. Even with paying the duty, the ring will still be cheaper than buying here.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Last I checked, Diamonds by Lauren is also on 47th. They might have more creative/different things than IDJ. I haven't visited the others mentioned here but I have visited both IDJ and DBL and found both incredibly helpful.

With any, be sure to call ahead and tell them what he is interested in and his budget so they can have appropriate things to show. I think all of these places need appointments.

Cristallo

Shiny_Rock
I would schedule an appointment with Jonathan who is the owner of August Vintage Inc. He is a joy to work with and managed to find us an amazing diamond at a competitive price. Zero sales pressure. I will still continue to buy diamonds from him even when we move back to Europe. They will need to schedule an appointment though. www.augustvintageinc.net

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results