shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying a Loose Diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bryceman

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I''m looking to buy a cushion cut diamond on the web and then I believe I''m going to work with Leon Mege into order to create the ring (thank for all the great post about LM) Would anyone have any advice/recommendation as to the best site to purchase loose diamonds from? I currently live in Tokyo, so I most probably won''t be able to see the diamond in person before purchasing it (SCARY!!!) so I would really like to buy it from a place with a fantastic reputation.

As I said, I''m looking for a cushion cut diamond, around 1.0 - 1.2 carat, G-D color, Very Good Cut, VS1 and above Clarity, and 1.0-1.05 L/W ratio.

I''ve looked on Blue Nile, Mondera, and Union Diamond Corporation. Would anyone recommend any others or have any watchout''s about certain sites? What else should I be looking for to get the best quality diamond possible?

Thanks so much for your help!!! This site has already been so incredibally useful.

Mike

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/23/2008 6:00:20 AM
Author:bryceman
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to buy a cushion cut diamond on the web and then I believe I'm going to work with Leon Mege into order to create the ring (thank for all the great post about LM) Would anyone have any advice/recommendation as to the best site to purchase loose diamonds from? I currently live in Tokyo, so I most probably won't be able to see the diamond in person before purchasing it (SCARY!!!) so I would really like to buy it from a place with a fantastic reputation.

As I said, I'm looking for a cushion cut diamond, around 1.0 - 1.2 carat, G-D color, Very Good Cut, VS1 and above Clarity, and 1.0-1.05 L/W ratio.

I've looked on Blue Nile, Mondera, and Union Diamond Corporation. Would anyone recommend any others or have any watchout's about certain sites? What else should I be looking for to get the best quality diamond possible?

Thanks so much for your help!!! This site has already been so incredibally useful.

Mike
Hi Mike,

I would definitely recommend you contact Mark at www.engagementringsdirect.com and put yourself into his expert hands, he is known as the go to guy for cushions around these parts and has found some spectacular diamonds for very happy PSers. Also www.goodoldgold.com has a good rep with cushions.

As to BN, Mondera etc, to the best of my knowledge many of their diamonds are not in house, nor do they provide pics and other images which are essential when buying a cushion, so I would stick with expert vendors who have in house diamonds and can provide detailed descriptions and images - otherwise you have no idea of what you are buying!

Also there are no cut grades for cushions such as very good, these descriptions don't mean anything really, that is why you need an expert to help you analyze each stone, cushions need to be seen to be judged as the numbers also don't tell you much.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yep, what Lorelei said.

bryceman

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone! I''ve contacted Mark at ERD and also another Diamond dealer that LM suggested named Adam...Has anyone worked with him before?

Mike

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/24/2008 3:22:00 AM
Author: bryceman
Thanks everyone! I''ve contacted Mark at ERD and also another Diamond dealer that LM suggested named Adam...Has anyone worked with him before?

Mike
Hey Mike - just a word of warning, apparently LM currently has an ongoing "feud" of some sort with ERD, so I would be hesitant to involve him too much in the diamond buying process if you want to buy from Mark.

I''m not talking from personal experience, just something a couple ppl on here have mentioned in another thread.
1.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/23/2008 6:32:08 AM
Author: Lorelei

I would definitely recommend you contact Mark at www.engagementringsdirect.com and put yourself into his expert hands, he is known as the go to guy for cushions around these parts and has found some spectacular diamonds for very happy PSers. Also www.goodoldgold.com has a good rep with cushions.
Mike,

I''ll also back Lorelei''s recommendations. Adding that probably only with GOG will you get the documented evidence you''d find helpful for yourself.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/24/2008 3:22:00 AM
Author: bryceman

Mike
I know he has a good source and the name is ringing a bell. would use the person Leon recommends--he is very very particular about stones and you will not get a bad one. It will make it much easier for you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results