shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying a diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PPD

Rough_Rock
Hey all,

This is my first post and I would like to say this forum has a wealth of information...thanks to all involved keeping the forum running.

My question is, I am looking at a 2.21 D SI1 stone dont know much about the cut...but what I do know is that the jeweler is a very good friend of the family and i would like to know pending on stone perfection in terms of its cut what would a stone like this vary in price. If this is too vague a question please ask me specifics and i''ll try to answer to the best of my ability as I am a complete amateur when it comes to stones.

Thanks all,

P

PPD

Rough_Rock
Oh and by the way the stone is GIA certified I''m gonna get a complete copy of all the measurement next time i pass by the jeweler.

Thanks again,
P

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome
35.gif

Firstly cut is THE most important factor with diamond beauty - so never skimp on that. This is what makes a diamond magical, the fire, brilliance, scintillation etc. Don't go by labels pinned on diamonds by vendors such as Ideal, Excellent, Good etc - these don't often mean much. Read the tutorials about cut proportions for rounds to get to know what to look for.

Your best bet is to get a copy of the certificate and post the depth, table, crown and pavillion angles, girdle thickness so we can help further. Also who certed this diamond? GIA or AGA are the best labs. There is also the Holloway Cut Advisor tool above which can help with cut quality. Lastly, see if the jeweller has any info on the diamond such as a Sarin Report, Idealscope Image ( very useful) BrillianceScope etc. There is a tool called an Idealscope you can buy - see on the top of the page which is very useful that you can use to get an idea of how well a diamond is cut.

Start reading here http://diamonds.pricescope.com/crn_pav.asp and then work through the titles on the left to learn about cut. There is far more to learn than can be put into a post but in brief you want a diamond which isn't too deep, table not too large or too small, girdle not too thick or too thin, crown and pavillion angles ( crucial) to be within a certain range. Also read up on spread - you want the diamond you buy to look it's weight. Thick girdles or too much depth can waste weight and make the diamond look small for it's carat weight, so learn about that if you can.

Also the diameter measurements are important - a 1 carat diamond should have the diameter of about 6.5 mm for example. Here is a chart which should help. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/mm-to-carat-stone-conversion-chart.17578/

You can use this to make sure the diamond measures what it should.

I hope this helps get you started - there is a lot to learn but don't be daunted - it is so interesting and time well spent when you look at your diamond for years to come and admire it!

Idealscope info.
http://www.pricescope.com/idealscope_indx.asp

Also if you go to Prices at the top of the page - you can use the search by cut tool to compare cost. Enter your size and specs i.e 2 carat + D SI1 etc and similar diamonds will show up with prices. This will give you some idea but there can be varying factors which can affect price.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results