shape
carat
color
clarity

buyer''s remorse???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

madevine

Rough_Rock

All,

Though i have never posted on this forum, i have gotten lots of great information. Thanks to everyone for that. I have been pondering the thought of engagement for some time now and finally got the guts to take my girlfriend ring shopping back in September. We were able to nail down what time of ring she wanted fairly quickly, and of course she was extremely excited.

Initially, i planned to purchase the ring online but the more i thought about it, i just wasnt real comfortable with it. After talking with my GF one night about rings and such, it occured to me that one of our good friends is a diamond wholesaler. He sells to many of the mom and pop retailers in the Dallas area. He also designs custom pieces occassionally. We met with him the following weekend and he showed us some examples of his work and gave me an idea as to how much i could expect to spend for the exact piece i was looking for. I told him i would give him a shout when i was ready to make a purchase.

Last week, i gave him a call to tell him i was ready. I told him i wanted to spend x amount on the diamond but i wanted to buy the setting at a retailer (i have a store credit there). He didnt really like that idea because he didnt want me to pay retail (keep in mind, he is doing this as a favor - no markup/commission). He suggessted that he would contact one of his cutters/suppliers to see if they had some pre-made pieces that i could get for what i was wanting to spend on just the diamond. I agreed to try that route first.

He called me a few days later to arrange a meeting so we could look at some pieces. I rushed out of work because i was so excited. It was really bright outside that day. I thought to myself, this sunlight is awesome, it will help us see some real sparkle in the diamond. He takes the rings out of the bag and i immediatly spot the exact ring i had my mind set on. I was so excited.

I had 3 awesome rings on my fingers, just looking at the in the sunlight. I was having a tough time deciding on which one i liked most but i kept coming back to the one i mentioned earlier. I was thinking that this one would have to be at least 1k over my budget, as the diamond was so nice looking at looked to be over 1 carat. Then he tells me that it is just under the budget i had (for just the diamond). I was extremely excited to hear that i was going to be saving at least 1k on this deal. He tells me the diamond is 75 points (1 ct total weight), VS1 (I think), and a J in color. I replied, “seriously? This is a J?” He assured me that it was. I said, how can this be a J? I would’ve guessed that it was at least an H or G. He says that he has always believed in sacrificing a little bit in color, for a great cut, and that is why this ring shines like it does.

We arranged to meet on Monday (12/7) to exchange my stack of 100 dollar bills for this ring. Of course, I was nervous, but happy. On this day, it was nasty, rainy, and overcast. We were both in a hurry, so we made the exchange and I rushed back to work. As soon as work was over I couldn’t wait to check out the ring. Its just as lovely as the first day I saw it. However, I started to notice one thing about it that just bugs the hell out of me…..I can now notice a bit of a yellowish tone in the diamond, hence the “J” rating. I’ve looked at it in many different light. In some lights, its really hard to see and in others I can tell right away.

Do you think I am just being critical of it because I now know that it’s a J? You have to look at it really close to see the yellow tint. I can’t stop thinking about this. Lol. any suggestions/advice would be appreciated. I just want to make sure that the GF enjoys her new ring. Sorry for the length of this but I wanted to make sure I gave you a complete story…

Thanks,

Matt

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The stone you''ve picked might have blue fluorescence that makes it face up whiter in the sun. As for whether a J will be too warm in other conditions ... only you can say. My e-ring is a J, too, and I actually really like the warmth. I''ve just gotten an E-color pear for a pendant, and side by side, I can totally see the difference ... I just like both stones equally, in different ways. Did you *like* how the stone looked the second time you saw it? You noticed the color, but did it make it less pretty to you? And will it make it less pretty to your GF? It''s totally subjective. Count me in as voting for warmth!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/9/2009 2:49:23 PM
Author:madevine

All,

Though i have never posted on this forum, i have gotten lots of great information. Thanks to everyone for that. I have been pondering the thought of engagement for some time now and finally got the guts to take my girlfriend ring shopping back in September. We were able to nail down what time of ring she wanted fairly quickly, and of course she was extremely excited.

Initially, i planned to purchase the ring online but the more i thought about it, i just wasnt real comfortable with it. After talking with my GF one night about rings and such, it occured to me that one of our good friends is a diamond wholesaler. He sells to many of the mom and pop retailers in the Dallas area. He also designs custom pieces occassionally. We met with him the following weekend and he showed us some examples of his work and gave me an idea as to how much i could expect to spend for the exact piece i was looking for. I told him i would give him a shout when i was ready to make a purchase.

Last week, i gave him a call to tell him i was ready. I told him i wanted to spend x amount on the diamond but i wanted to buy the setting at a retailer (i have a store credit there). He didnt really like that idea because he didnt want me to pay retail (keep in mind, he is doing this as a favor - no markup/commission). He suggessted that he would contact one of his cutters/suppliers to see if they had some pre-made pieces that i could get for what i was wanting to spend on just the diamond. I agreed to try that route first.

He called me a few days later to arrange a meeting so we could look at some pieces. I rushed out of work because i was so excited. It was really bright outside that day. I thought to myself, this sunlight is awesome, it will help us see some real sparkle in the diamond. He takes the rings out of the bag and i immediatly spot the exact ring i had my mind set on. I was so excited.

I had 3 awesome rings on my fingers, just looking at the in the sunlight. I was having a tough time deciding on which one i liked most but i kept coming back to the one i mentioned earlier. I was thinking that this one would have to be at least 1k over my budget, as the diamond was so nice looking at looked to be over 1 carat. Then he tells me that it is just under the budget i had (for just the diamond). I was extremely excited to hear that i was going to be saving at least 1k on this deal. He tells me the diamond is 75 points (1 ct total weight), VS1 (I think), and a J in color. I replied, “seriously? This is a J?” He assured me that it was. I said, how can this be a J? I would’ve guessed that it was at least an H or G. He says that he has always believed in sacrificing a little bit in color, for a great cut, and that is why this ring shines like it does.

We arranged to meet on Monday (12/7) to exchange my stack of 100 dollar bills for this ring. Of course, I was nervous, but happy. On this day, it was nasty, rainy, and overcast. We were both in a hurry, so we made the exchange and I rushed back to work. As soon as work was over I couldn’t wait to check out the ring. Its just as lovely as the first day I saw it. However, I started to notice one thing about it that just bugs the hell out of me…..I can now notice a bit of a yellowish tone in the diamond, hence the “J” rating. I’ve looked at it in many different light. In some lights, its really hard to see and in others I can tell right away That's normal.

Do you think I am just being critical of it because I now know that it’s a J? You have to look at it really close to see the yellow tint. I can’t stop thinking about this. Lol. any suggestions/advice would be appreciated. I just want to make sure that the GF enjoys her new ring. Sorry for the length of this but I wanted to make sure I gave you a complete story…

Some people like the tint, some people would prefer a whiter stone but can put up with it to gain on one of the other Cs, some people can't stand it and won't put up with it. A J WILL show tint in some lights, from some angles. You say you've not stopped thinking about it - are you really, truly okay with it? And more importantly, will your girlfriend be okay with it? My uneducated guess is that unless she's been reading up on diamonds and training her eye to notice the slight variations in hue - or perhaps works with paints or something such - she won't even notice it's a J til you tell her - though I could be wrong here, of course
1.gif
. She will notice the sparkle of a well-cut stone. So - long answer short - noone can answer your question but yourself and your girlfriend, so be prepared with a good return policy just in case?

Thanks,

Matt

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did you only see the diamonds you chose from in rings and in the bright sublight? I have to be honest it isn''t the best way to buy a diamond if that is the case. You also didn''t mention a grading report. Does the diamond have one? Without it, maybe it is a j, maybe not! Who knows!

A correctly graded J has a tiny bit of tint from the side. Not yellow! Warmth is the best way to describe it. I wonder if you actually have a J stone at all?

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Anything J and above is likely to show some color under flourescent lighting. It''s the worst.
14.gif

Just take her to Home Depot to see it sparkle, or elevator lighting is good too
2.gif

outatouch0

Shiny_Rock
Well, if it bothers you...
You did say you were 1K under budget. You could certainly still afford to go up a few color grades and still get an ex/id cut stone assuming that is what you indeed have now.
Of course this assumes your friend will exchange with you, etc.

Also, I am sure I am not the only one curious as to whether or not you received a GIA or AGS graded stone. Please, do tell.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks,

Matt
J ? in whos opinion? did the stone come with a GIA report?

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2009 7:19:04 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

Thanks,

Matt
My questions exactly.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Can you exchange the diamond at this point? Its a matter of personal preference, but I don''t like anything below an H in color. And that was based on comparing an I to a G or an H ring in a store - I could see the color in the I. Just another issue to bring up is that if you get a stone with some warmth then it will show more color if she gets a band with diamonds in the future if they are more colorless.

Honestly, for me, I''d exchange. But maybe your future fiance doesn''t care.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/9/2009 7:19:04 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

Thanks,

Matt
Ditto? This is really important information to know.

madevine

Rough_Rock
Well its been a little over a week now since i purchased this ring. Initially, i think i was a little surprised at the color because i had only seend the ring in a couple of different lights. Since then, i have looked at it in many different lights and i am much happier about my purchase. True enough, you can see a hint of warmth in certain lights, but for the most part it''s great. I brought it to work and all of the women here were "oooooo, ahhhhhh, wow, beautiful, etc..." I appreciate the advice/opinions from everyone on here.

I''ll post some pics once i give it to her.....i need to read up on the best way to take pics of a ring. I know thats posted somewhere here...

Matt

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Matt,

If the stone is truly a great cut-quality and indeed a J, the following is probably the case.

The great cut makes the stone look whiter in a bright light-environment. Basically, the brightness coming out of the stone masks the body-colour. In lower-lit environments, the stone has less light entering the diamond, thus also exiting the diamond, and it will be easier to spot the body-colour of the stone. Still, I agree with most posters that you would then experience more ''warmth'' and not really ''yellow''.

Still, I see now that you are happy with your purchase, and that is most important.

Live long,

Trigon

Rough_Rock
It looks as though people here need some reason to cast doubt on your decision. They simply MUST know if the stone has a GIA or AGS report, because if not, they wil proceed to pick it apart. Or in the very least, perhaps recommend one of the favored online retailers here. Be happy with your choice!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results