shape
carat
color
clarity

Buyer''s Remorse - Big Time

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LScianname

Rough_Rock
Hi
I upgraded my diamond in Feb (Valentine''s Day gift from Hubby) and am still suffering from Buyer''s remorse.

I live in Ottawa, Canada.. and not easy finding a GREAT diamond but this is what I got:

Ideal cut AGS0/ H& A/ Isee2 / SI1 eye-clean (even with 10x loupe really hard to find inclusions)/ G colour/ 1.125 carat weight

Diam: 6.71 mm (6.70 - 6.73mm)
Depth: 4.10 mm or 61.1%
Crown: 34.7 degrees or 14.9%
Pavillion: 40.8 degress or 42.9%
Table: 3.80 mm or 56.6%
Cutlet: .7% or very small
Girdle 1.2% thin - 1.6% medium

Okay - I am fairly new with diamonds, but I have never seen a diamond so beautiful - I love it but I fear I paid too much.
I bought from a store, I did not want to buy on line (last year both my husband and I suffered from "Identity Theft" so I don''t like giving any info on computer or phone!

Anyway, in your opinon, what would this stone be worth? Appraised with mount at 25,000 Cdn
Thanks

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you would want to replace the stone today buying one of the stones listed here, it would cost about USD 7000 (all the specs and tests taken into account and provided for). There is quite a difference between the cost of branded stones offline and on - so I would expect this number to be somewhat less than you have paid. Since you cite Isee2, this must have been a branded H&A, right? This comparison may not be a valid way to determine 'value' of anything... you be the judge...

Appraisals often come at twice the current market value or such, so I am not sure how to interpret the number quoted in your post. The price you have paid - unknown to me - is a better benchmark.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
You already bought it and love it so stop regretting it because there's nothing you can do now!
loopy.gif

Enjoy it and cherish it.

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
You got a very good stone from the looks of the numbers. Similar diamonds are listed on PS for around US$6000-6300, but would be more in a B&M store.

Assuming you got a typically inflated appraisal and I'm doing the exchange rate properly, it sounds like you didn't overpay that much for a jewelry store purchase (since you state that you would never buy a diamond online).

LScianname

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all your imput - you're right, its bought and I love it - can't stand to take it off, even though it is 1.125 it looks huge and so white ...

I know I paid more because of going to store, but I trust the owner very much, and he always gives me excellent service. The price of the stone was 19,000 (before taxes) but I traded in my old diamond (.90, G, SI2, AGS3) for 11,000 and so I owe 8,000 (including taxes and mount worth 1200).

At the time, the price freaked me out, but loving jewellery the way I do...had to have it!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Appraisals are hugely inflated so you really can't use that as any real way to determine the cost...however as the others point out, shopping offline with a store will most likely have cost you more.

I'm sorry to hear about your identity theft, one way around that without having to go online may have been to find something you were interested in online, gotten all the images, seen the reports, then called in your payment, or faxed it over. Then confirm with the vendor they shred your paperwork.

Anyway, too late to really regret it now. The stone itself sounds like it would be absolutely beautiful, it has great numbers. If you feel you paid too much, that's money already lost. So I would enjoy your beautiful stone and know that next time there may be other avenues open to you that don't just include sending your credit card information through the internet (though things are getting safer).

One note to people who use the internet often for purchases. Suggest that you have ONE credit card that you use for only internet purchases. That way you can view it monthly and know right away where you spent money, as opposed to checking 3 or 4 statements and trying to remember what you bought online. Plus this way if the card # is stolen, they have a card # you don't use for other items. Lastly, when you open this account, ask for a lower credit limit (and pay it off every month), this way if the card IS stolen, the thieves can't go nuts spending before anyone catches on.

Enjoy your beautiful new stone and we LOVE pictures here on Pricescope!
1.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
OMG- can you return it? I don't mean to be direct- but you could have gotten a G 2ct stone for the money!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
moremore...she is talking Canadian dollars.
2.gif
Big difference.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Wait- that's canadian dollars??? Is that like $14 grand and change US? For 19 I had a heart attack. It's still high- but if you love it, forget it!
1.gif

eyesoftexas

Shiny_Rock
The diamond was an object when you were shopping for it but now it is something different. The diamond is suppose to be a symbol of your love. Forget about the money because that is not what is most important in life. Instead just remind the person wearing the stone how much more you love them.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Keep in mind, too, the her price *includes* the mount. If it is an expensive heavy platinum mount, that could run upwards of $3-4K canadian dollars.

Lucia, I agree with the others.....don't sweat it now. At least you got a BEAUTIFUL stone for the money and you're happy with it. There's always a "better" deal, but that doesn't always mean a better buy.

Wear and enjoy your ring in good health.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
guys,
noone is addressing the fact that the store owner gave a very generous allowance for her tradein....11,000can or 8,200usd for a mediocre .90 gsi2. if you factor in that part of the transaction, and the convenience of not having to sell the original stone herself, she really did quite well.

wear your new ring and enjoy it!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
very good point rocks!
2.gif

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
it's my sales and trading background...serves me well in this business!!

LScianname

Rough_Rock
Thanks.
You guys are the best!
I feel much better !!

Have a good day!

derekinla

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 3/25/2004 2:01:04 PM rocks wrote:

guys,
noone is addressing the fact that the store owner gave a very generous allowance for her tradein....11,000can or 8,200usd for a mediocre .90 gsi2. if you factor in that part of the transaction, and the convenience of not having to sell the original stone herself, she really did quite well.

wear your new ring and enjoy it!----------------

In case you guys were wondering 19,000 CND = 14,270 USD

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
So essentially you paid:

8000CAN/6000US

They got your old diamond, and you got a new diamond and a setting.

You really did fine. I found a similar stone going for about $6300US:

1.11 G SI1 ACA H&A

First of all, the chances that you would be able to even find a buyer for your old stone on your own are slim, so it sounds like essentially in exchange for your old stone, you saved $300US off the net (already a reduced price) and got a setting, which is a $1200+US value (assuming the setting is really worth $900US) off of the lowest price you could expect to pay for a stone like that without the convenience and services of buying locally. So worst case scenario, you only got $1200US for your old stone. This is a very reasonable amount to expect when reselling a diamond, although obviously you would pay more for it retail.

(I have to admit, before I used a currency converter, I was very confused, but it makes sense now).

What I don't appreciate is the seller jacking up the "retail price" and the "trade-in" value of your stone to make you think you're getting a deal. If they would actually give you $8K US for a G SI2 0.90 stone, then give me their name and address!

P.S. Sorry to discuss all of this in US dollars, but that's how my brain works. I'm going to Paris and London next week, and I'm going to have to bring a calculator to help my puny brain with the conversions.

LScianname

Rough_Rock
Hi Phoenixgirl - you're right about the seller "making"me think I got a deal - I realize that - but isn't that the way business works? Everything has a price - and now that I know more, I will go online for my next purchase - since I got some really got online buying tips for this forus.
Have fun in Paris!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If it's any consolation let me add that the diamonds coming from the Isee2 factory are STUPENDOUS. I purchase and sell these diamonds as well and the diamonds coming from that factory are among some of the best I've seen.

LScianname

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Rhino
That explains why this diamond sparkles/fires unbelievable - even in really really dim lighting..my 14 year old daughter says it "blinds" her when she looks at it -

I went to your site and read up on the "isee2" portion of your cut section and now I understand what "isee2" is/means. Don't know if you went to the isee2 site but it really doesn't explain very much.. too bad, you'd think they would want to promote this more.

Actually I learned a lot from your site - thanks for the education.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results