shape
carat
color
clarity

Buyer beware - Ebay seller fraud

GoldfishPie

Rough_Rock
I just wanted to let people know, the ebay seller diamondmounts (in the recommended vendors sticky) uses moissanites as their pave stones, but advertise that they use diamonds in their settings. I bought two settings from them, one way too late to be returned, and the other I just returned to them because it was going to cost too much to replace the moissanites with diamonds (also the advertised size of the side stones was ridiculously off)

It cost me $25 and will take who knows how long to return the ring and get my money back, but I wanted everyone to know! If you have one of their settings to go a jewelry store and use their diamond tester to see if you have diamonds or moissanites!

http://myworld.ebay.com/diamondmounts

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow, thank you for the info. Did you leave negative feedback?

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
wow- I hope someone takes them off the recommended list. I wonder if anyone has checked the other ebay vendor diamonds lately.

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
That's horrible!!! Is diamondmounts and Jewelryhoo/lanbo4 sister stores? I think I need to buy a diamond tester on ebay right now...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OTL|1376325875|3501436 said:
That's horrible!!! Is diamondmounts and Jewelryhoo/lanbo4 sister stores? I think I need to buy a diamond tester on ebay right now...

I am not on the up and up but I know some Chinese setting eBay stores are related to one another. This is definitely serious and I am sorry Goldfishpie did not receive what was expected. If someone can confirm if DM is related to some other store, I will edit the list appropriately. For all others who have purchased a setting from DM, please check the diamond melees and report your findings. This is much appreciated.

GoldfishPie

Rough_Rock
athenaworth|1376317435|3501354 said:

I didn't yet, only because I don't have my refund. I'm already worried about the return because in my second setting, I opened up a case because they didn't size the ring (which I had paid extra for) and the melee stones were not diamonds. They gave me a partial refund, and I closed the case.

Then when I got the side stones I had specifically ordered for this ring, they were completely off and way too big for the listed size on the setting. The ring I ordered said it allowed for 6x4mm ovals, but when I got the ovals I was going to set, there was no way in hell they would fit. The setting would allow for 4x3 ovals, max. With that, I initiated a return, but I'm not sure if I can open a case because I already opened and closed the first one. The too-small side stones were the final straw. I was looking at at least $150+ to fix the mistakes that shouldn't have been on the ring in the first place!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Some diamond testers show a positive result for moissanite, so if you do get one, make sure it can tell moissanite as well.

Hmm, wonder when they started doing that. My pave diamonds have inclusions in them, and I'm not sure if they've always been using moissanite. Moissanite is also doubly refractive as well, so that's another way to tell if you have a high powered loupe.

GoldfishPie

Rough_Rock
How long ago did you buy from them? My previous setting I purchased around October 2012. All the melee stones came up moissanite. And I tested small similarly sized melee stones in other rings of mine, and they came up as diamonds, so I know it wasn't that the stone was too small to be tested accurately.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GoldfishPie|1376364695|3501874 said:
How long ago did you buy from them? My previous setting I purchased around October 2012. All the melee stones came up moissanite. And I tested small similarly sized melee stones in other rings of mine, and they came up as diamonds, so I know it wasn't that the stone was too small to be tested accurately.

Over two years ago. It wouldn't surprise me as they are probably trying to cut corners. Moissanite is pretty expensive too, but I'm not sure how the moissanite melee would cost next to the teeny tiny I to SI diamond quality melee I assumed them to use. I am sure the moissanite would be more sparkly and clean. If I knew what I was paying for, i wouldn't mind moissanite melee, but they shouldn't be advertising it as diamonds when it clearly isn't.

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
TL|1376362155|3501846 said:

Some diamond testers show a positive result for moissanite, so if you do get one, make sure it can tell moissanite as well.

Hmm, wonder when they started doing that. My pave diamonds have inclusions in them, and I'm not sure if they've always been using moissanite. Moissanite is also doubly refractive as well, so that's another way to tell if you have a high powered loupe.

Agreed, I have a sizable diamond that I have tested both pre and post GIA certification(certified as natural diamond). For some reason my diamond tester do not fancy this particular diamond. Out of ten times testing, only 4 or 5 times will light up diamond whereas the other 5 or 6 times will light up moissanite. At times setting (especially for melee) will also interfere with the tool, ensure that the tip touches the diamond only.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
eastjavaman|1376369077|3501902 said:

Agreed, I have a sizable diamond that I have tested both pre and post GIA certification(certified as natural diamond). For some reason my diamond tester do not fancy this particular diamond. Out of ten times testing, only 4 or 5 times will light up diamond whereas the other 5 or 6 times will light up moissanite. At times setting (especially for melee) will also interfere with the tool, ensure that the tip touches the diamond only.

To the trained eye, it's easy to tell since they're more refractive, and also doubly refractive, than diamonds. The most realistic simulant to me is very high quality CZ actually because it's also singly refractive, although it does produce more fire than diamond as well. When moissanite first came out, they also had a green tinge to them, but I'm not sure if they fixed that.

In any case, they sell moissanite detectors, so I would go with one of those if you're not sure how to tell.

jewelryhoo

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi all,
We are Nicole Chan and Kyo Chan, very nice to meet you here at Pricescope.com
We are a member of Pricescope.com long time already, but because we do not know how to use it so we only can reply you until now.

First of all, Changxing jewelry Company only have these sister ebay stores ID: jewelryhoo2, jewelryhoo, changxingjewelry, leejewelry, jewelryhoo-custom-design, nicolejewelry2012.

The other diamondmounts, lanbo and so on are not our sister ID. I want to clarify it on Pricescope.com long time ago but I do not know how to do it :(

And I never do not know why it said our diamonds are melee or moissanite, all our diamonds are bought from India and 100% natural diamonds. We are not only doing business abroad, we also have our business in our country - China, and there is the most authority jewelry testing center (NGTC) in China. We always doing the certificate from this testing center, We never meet the situation that said our diamonds are fake.

Please do not go to small jewelry store to do these kind of test, They are not professional. I am 100% sure that our items can make GIA certificate.
We have some clients which doing high qulity jewelry and they also will take our jewelry to set their center stone, and then take to make GIA. There were no problem with our diamonds. Thank you for all of your precious time and attention.

Nicole, Kyo

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
jewelryhoo|1377178012|3507963 said:
Hi all,
We are Nicole Chan and Kyo Chan, very nice to meet you here at Pricescope.com
We are a member of Pricescope.com long time already, but because we do not know how to use it so we only can reply you until now.

First of all, Changxing jewelry Company only have these sister ebay stores ID: jewelryhoo2, jewelryhoo, changxingjewelry, leejewelry, jewelryhoo-custom-design, nicolejewelry2012.

The other diamondmounts, lanbo and so on are not our sister ID. I want to clarify it on Pricescope.com long time ago but I do not know how to do it :(

And I never do not know why it said our diamonds are melee or moissanite, all our diamonds are bought from India and 100% natural diamonds. We are not only doing business abroad, we also have our business in our country - China, and there is the most authority jewelry testing center (NGTC) in China. We always doing the certificate from this testing center, We never meet the situation that said our diamonds are fake.

Please do not go to small jewelry store to do these kind of test, They are not professional. I am 100% sure that our items can make GIA certificate.
We have some clients which doing high qulity jewelry and they also will take our jewelry to set their center stone, and then take to make GIA. There were no problem with our diamonds. Thank you for all of your precious time and attention.

Nicole, Kyo

Hi Nicole

Thanks for clarifying that. I've watched diamondmounts and Jewelryhoo for a long time and I own settings from both stores. Truth to be told, the quality do look different so I had doubts that diamondmounts is your sister store. Thanks to let us know.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nicole and Kyo,
Thank you for the clarification.

Goldfishpie,
Are you still around? Did you double check that they are indeed moissanite (double refractive, etc)?

GoldfishPie

Rough_Rock
Sorry! I forgot to update this. Yes, they are doubly refractive and definitely moissanite. I will not be buying from them in the future. They just got my refund to me earlier this week, so at least they didn't screw me on that regard.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Glad you got your refund. Sorry you had to have such a bad experience. Thanks for letting everyone know about this & I hope you leave some negative feedback. Yuck.

--- Laurie

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GoldfishPie|1379040566|3519841 said:
Sorry! I forgot to update this. Yes, they are doubly refractive and definitely moissanite. I will not be buying from them in the future. They just got my refund to me earlier this week, so at least they didn't screw me on that regard.

Question, how large were the melee that were moissanite? Were they larger melee, or tiny 1 pointers, or other? I don't know if they make moissanite melee that small, or if its even cost effective to use such tiny moissanite. If the stones were larger, maybe 10 pointers, then I could see how it might be more cost effective to use them. Tiny 1 pointer diamond melee would be probably less expensive, believe it or not, than tiny moissanite, especially the I to SI quality they typically use.

Thanks again for sharing your experience. It's always worrisome when you don't get what was advertised. :(sad

GoldfishPie

Rough_Rock
They were 1 pointers. That's what I wondered too! Wouldn't it be more expensive to use moissanites? I used a few diamond testers at work (I work at a maul jewelry store... Don't run me out with pitchforks! I like jewelry! :D ) and compared a pair of moissy earrings I have with the melee, to melee that we sell that I know is diamond, looked at it under the scope at 10X magnification. I asked my manager even. We take trade-ins so we have to be extremely careful that we don't accidentally take moissanites, and she knows moissanites under the scope. The melee was definitely moissanite.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GoldfishPie|1379163007|3520671 said:
They were 1 pointers. That's what I wondered too! Wouldn't it be more expensive to use moissanites? I used a few diamond testers at work (I work at a maul jewelry store... Don't run me out with pitchforks! I like jewelry! :D ) and compared a pair of moissy earrings I have with the melee, to melee that we sell that I know is diamond, looked at it under the scope at 10X magnification. I asked my manager even. We take trade-ins so we have to be extremely careful that we don't accidentally take moissanites, and she knows moissanites under the scope. The melee was definitely moissanite.

Very odd. Well, thanks for sharing the information. I had no idea they even made moissanite melee that tiny.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In light of this thread, I recommend that Diamondmounts (on eBay) be dropped from the Vetted Vendors list. Any agreement / disagreements?

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
eastjavaman|1376369077|3501902 said:

I have learned that diamonds with boron content (usually blue ones) conduct electricity and therefore show up us as moissanite on a moissanite tester. I had a local jeweler (who is not experienced with fcds) insist that my stone wasn't a diamond - so I contacted the jeweler that we got the ring from and he explained. I've also done some further reading that supports this.

Goldypie - thanks so much for sharing!

alice87

Shiny_Rock
GoldfishPie|1376361731|3501840 said:
athenaworth|1376317435|3501354 said:

I didn't yet, only because I don't have my refund. I'm already worried about the return because in my second setting, I opened up a case because they didn't size the ring (which I had paid extra for) and the melee stones were not diamonds. They gave me a partial refund, and I closed the case.

Then when I got the side stones I had specifically ordered for this ring, they were completely off and way too big for the listed size on the setting. The ring I ordered said it allowed for 6x4mm ovals, but when I got the ovals I was going to set, there was no way in hell they would fit. The setting would allow for 4x3 ovals, max. With that, I initiated a return, but I'm not sure if I can open a case because I already opened and closed the first one. The too-small side stones were the final straw. I was looking at at least $150+ to fix the mistakes that shouldn't have been on the ring in the first place!
Just a thought? Did you like setting that much you did not want to return in the first place?
if you file item significantly not as described, I am more than sure you will win. Is it the same ring? I just wonder... Some people file with both, ebay and paypal...

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I know this is a very old thread but I really doubt that they are moissanites. The original poster did not specify how they tested at all. It is next to impossible to use home testers to make this determination. I have tried many times. The melee are too small and the tester tip are too thick and will hit the metal - rendering it to test as simulate. Anyways, my two cents - I really doubt the claim made is fair.

GoldfishPie

Rough_Rock
I used to work at a mall jewelry store and we had the electronic testers. I know they were expensive (and we used them for trade-ins) plus I tested diamond melee that was smaller than on my ring, and they came up as diamond. I had enough room to test so that I wasn't making contact with any metal. Plus we had a 10x microscope, I've looked at melee from other rings as well as other ebay sellers. Usually the diamonds are an I1-SI1 quality, but the melee stones that tested as moissanites were crystal clear and had a strange cut. They were definitely NOT diamonds.

Tate25

Rough_Rock
Hi I didn't have a good experience with Changxing Jewelry and wasn't sure where to put it on this forum so when I came across this posting I thought I'd put it here as well as in 'Coloured Stones'. Sorry the posting is so long but thought it important to let folk know what kind of company they are:

This is my first time posting but I wanted to share my experience with dealing with a Chinese company called Changxing Jewelry also trading as sister ebay stores ID: jewelryhoo2, jewelryhoo, changxingjewelry, leejewelry, jewelryhoo-custom-design, nicolejewelry2012.

I received a quote for $640 from Changxing Jewelry to manufacture a ring (from a photo I sent them and attached many times during the emails that went back and forth) using my gems (a tanzanite and two diamonds). It was a very simple design. A tanzanite with a diamond each side which I provided and a large shank width 12-15mm wide. I was told it would be 10grams of gold to make the ring but when I had agreed and posted my gems, they close to doubled the amount of gold and increased the labour to $940 USD. I was told that there was no way of knowing from a photo of a ring how much gold was involved. I spoke to a reputable Jeweller I'd worked with a few times in Australia and he said a good Jeweller should know the amount of gold within 20% (plus or minus). This was close to double the grams of gold and an increase of 32% in overall cost.

When asked to reduce the amount of gold and revert to previous labour cost (no change had occurred in overall design so labour shouldn't have increased), they didn't want to do the job and said they'd return my gems. This was my Christmas present from my family and its too late now (4 Dec 2014) to get another jeweller to create the ring. I'm so disappointed!

I also found communication to be very poor with lengthy delays to emails even after following up many times to get a response. I asked them to provide a quote on 20 September 2014, to allow plenty of time before to have the ring returned prior to Christmas and received a response from them and quote on 18 October 2014, despite numerous emails (4) requesting they respond. I confirmed the price of $640 (I thought it was AUD as no currency was mentioned but found out later it was actually USD which means an increase in cost) and the amount of gold 10grams (18k), before sending the gems on 20 October 2014. To be told on 29 November 2014, when they have my gems and so close to Christmas that they don't want to do the ring is unprofessional and the sign of a poor company. Reading between the lines, I think they are too busy and have too much work but they should have recognised this and not agreed to do the ring in the first place if this is the case.

I asked for them to pay my original postage cost from Australia to China given the circumstances and they have cheekily suggested I should pay $35 for a CAD drawing and for the cost of their postage of my gems back to me!! At no stage did I say I didn't want the ring done, they decided they didn't want to do the ring any more!

By the way the Changxing Jewelry website says the CAD drawing should take 2 days and instead it took 13 business days and only after much pressure from me.

All up very unimpressed and wouldn't deal with the company again. I asked them to post my gems and provide a tracking number 1/12/14 and still waiting for a response (4/12/14). Not sure now if I'll even get my gems back. If I don't will be writing another review.

Does anyone have any advice for getting my gems back? I've tried calling them but can't get through to them, all of the numbers I call ring out. I'm starting to get really concerned as the person I was dealing with (Nicole aka Chen Xiaoli) asked me to send the gems to her home address not the office address as it was 'easier to pick up' the gems.

GoldfishPie

Rough_Rock
I know hindsight is 20/20 but I would never ship my stones to them. It costs way too much and takes too long. I always buy the semi-mount from them and have the stones set locally.

Tate25

Rough_Rock
Hi CharmyPoo, Were you the lady that said that you'd had the same problems with Changxing Jewelry that I had ie a good experience first time and then terrible the second time. Also that they blocked you? They blocked me too by the way!

The moderator deleted my post in FAQ as it was duplicated in Coloured Stones and one of the posters wanted other people that had had problems to come forward. This is the other post here:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/buyer-beware-chinese-manufacturing-company.208601/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/buyer-beware-chinese-manufacturing-company.208601/[/URL]

Would you be prepared to comment. Not to worry if not. At the end of the day I'm just trying to have other people not go through what I did.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results