shape
carat
color
clarity

Buy spinel/sapphire in Yangon????

dbetterindy

Rough_Rock
I am going to Yangon in May. I would like to know if any PS-er bought any spinel or sapphire in Yangon? Is there any reliable vendor?? :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry to say I've never been to Yangon.

LeaD

Rough_Rock
I've been there several times in the past months, and many years back, and have literally spend a few days this Feb looking at gems there.
If you look at one of my previous posts, you'll see pics of sapphires I saw, which might help you understand what I mean.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/quest-for-a-dream-sapphire.198758/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/quest-for-a-dream-sapphire.198758/[/URL]

Do not expect miracles. The cut of the gem especially vary between disgustingly awful to poor, at best.
Do not waste time looking at gems in Bogyoge Aung San Market. The quality is overall poor and the prices tend to go real high. I would not trust many vendors there. I have not really looked in details at pearls, however, but it might be one of the most interesting things to buy there, as they had very nice golden colors and there were many vendors offering those. There also are some jewels already made with a bunch of very small stones, kind of paving like, in ruby or sapphire, which can look good, though the stones are very likely heated and in themselves not worth much.

For the better quality gems (and pearls maybe) and more honest vendors, go directly to the Gems Museum on Kaba Aye Pagoda Road. You have 3 floors with vendors, most of them rather honest, both regarding what they sell and regarding the price they ask. The museum on the top floor is really expensive for 5 dollars. Most of the nicest exhibits have been transfered to Nay Pyi Daw, the new capital. There's one interactive map of the country with mining resources which I find interesting. A few nice jewels. And mostly poorly cut loose gems. Focusing only on the nice things, the visit would last less than 10 mn, it's difficult to stretch it to more than half an hour.

Better quality does not really mean "good" quality in general. However for several hundred dollars, you might be able to find a small sapphire, around 1 carat, if you're open-minded about the color, shape, and so on.
Spinels, most of what I saw was really ugly, with huge windows. I bought one, which seemed way way better than all the rest. And that was a mistake. The stone is much darker than expected. We call it the pitch black hole and have decided to laugh about it. Only good thing is that we did not spend much on it. And that we live under the equator and for 2 or 3 hours the day if I stand under the glaring sun, we can see some color in it.
Overall, I'd recommend to have rather low expectations regarding what you might find and definitely know that what you can really find is more "novelty jewelry" type than "exceptional gem".
Vendors who seemed the most reliable and honest to me were: Fun Fun Gems Paradise (stands 7 and 15 on the ground floor, 3 and 9 on the 2nd floor), Kaung Sint Yadanar (ground floor too), Myat Theingi (1st floor).
There are, I believe 3 or 4 companies providing certification. The most reliable one, ie. the one where the staff is the least likely to be bought for a few additional dollars by the seller, is Stalwart. That's the one you should insist on getting a certificate from if you buy anything.

Hope this helps. If you have additional questions, do not hesitate to reach out.

dbetterindy

Rough_Rock
LeaD|1393948802|3627219 said:
I've been there several times in the past months, and many years back, and have literally spend a few days this Feb looking at gems there.
If you look at one of my previous posts, you'll see pics of sapphires I saw, which might help you understand what I mean.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/quest-for-a-dream-sapphire.198758/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/quest-for-a-dream-sapphire.198758/[/URL]

Do not expect miracles. The cut of the gem especially vary between disgustingly awful to poor, at best.
Do not waste time looking at gems in Bogyoge Aung San Market. The quality is overall poor and the prices tend to go real high. I would not trust many vendors there. I have not really looked in details at pearls, however, but it might be one of the most interesting things to buy there, as they had very nice golden colors and there were many vendors offering those. There also are some jewels already made with a bunch of very small stones, kind of paving like, in ruby or sapphire, which can look good, though the stones are very likely heated and in themselves not worth much.

For the better quality gems (and pearls maybe) and more honest vendors, go directly to the Gems Museum on Kaba Aye Pagoda Road. You have 3 floors with vendors, most of them rather honest, both regarding what they sell and regarding the price they ask. The museum on the top floor is really expensive for 5 dollars. Most of the nicest exhibits have been transfered to Nay Pyi Daw, the new capital. There's one interactive map of the country with mining resources which I find interesting. A few nice jewels. And mostly poorly cut loose gems. Focusing only on the nice things, the visit would last less than 10 mn, it's difficult to stretch it to more than half an hour.

Better quality does not really mean "good" quality in general. However for several hundred dollars, you might be able to find a small sapphire, around 1 carat, if you're open-minded about the color, shape, and so on.
Spinels, most of what I saw was really ugly, with huge windows. I bought one, which seemed way way better than all the rest. And that was a mistake. The stone is much darker than expected. We call it the pitch black hole and have decided to laugh about it. Only good thing is that we did not spend much on it. And that we live under the equator and for 2 or 3 hours the day if I stand under the glaring sun, we can see some color in it.
Overall, I'd recommend to have rather low expectations regarding what you might find and definitely know that what you can really find is more "novelty jewelry" type than "exceptional gem".
Vendors who seemed the most reliable and honest to me were: Fun Fun Gems Paradise (stands 7 and 15 on the ground floor, 3 and 9 on the 2nd floor), Kaung Sint Yadanar (ground floor too), Myat Theingi (1st floor).
There are, I believe 3 or 4 companies providing certification. The most reliable one, ie. the one where the staff is the least likely to be bought for a few additional dollars by the seller, is Stalwart. That's the one you should insist on getting a certificate from if you buy anything.

Hope this helps. If you have additional questions, do not hesitate to reach out.

LeaD, thanks thanks thanks so much! I will have a look for the shop u recommend. :D:D Usually how much time do we need to get the Stalwart certificate?? I will be staying in Yangon for 4 days only.

And for the pearls, do you recommend I shop in Gem Museum too? I am no expert on pearls, will i get fake ones easily??

LeaD

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Not sure exactly how fast Stalwart can work. I guess 2 days should be more than enough. Don't keep your gem shopping til the last day then.
Keep in mind that the gem museum and markets are closed on Mondays. Not sure which day of the week, Sunday or Monday, Stalwart is closed, but this might have an impact depending which days of the week you'll be there.
As for us, we did not have any time pressure, as we picked up the spinel set in a ring with the certificate on our next travel there 2 weeks later.
Stalwart should also provide you with certificate for pearls, by the way. No clue how it works in terms of certificate if you pick many to make a strand and neither if it is common practice to ask for a certificate on pearls.
However the head of Stalwart is frequently mentioned as an expert on MM ruby and pearls. That's because this guy is so well known, that the risks are lower than elsewhere to get a bogus certificate.
https://www.palagems.com/melo_myanmar.htm

You may have a look at other stands, while at the Gem Museum. I honestly felt the average vendor there was fairly reliable with only a few exceptions and even those exceptions were less on the crook side than many at the market. All stands are quite small, so you might have better luck elsewhere. Those I mentioned seemed especially fair in acknowledging their gems' imperfection and in the first pricing demanded.
Sincerely I may be angelic, but I do not believe the biggest risk lies in getting "fake" pearls or stones, if you buy from a legitimate vendor. It's definitely more in getting something of a very poor quality, possibly "enhanced" if you do not check that aspect, and overpaying it.
For the pearls, you can look and ask for prices at the Gem Museum. That should give you a good idea. Then from what I remember, the bigger choices were in the BAS market, so it might be interesting to look there.
As I did not specifically look at pearls, I cannot say whether there's also the same average quality gap between the museum and the market. From afar, it did not seem as obvious as for the loose stones. Anyway you'll tour through the market anyway, as there are not that many attractions in Yangon.

Check this website before going. It will help you know what to expect. Look at the pictures who are fair representation. However do not take all the comments for granted. Some advices are :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: ; some comments about the "shabby Brits" contribution :o :o :o . And the translator was not proficient in English either. Common sense is the most useful tool. And few people will dare outright lies in answer to direct questions.
http://www.allmyanmar.com/myanmarmore/myanmar-products.htm
http://www.allmyanmar.com/myanmarmore/myanmar-pearls.htm
http://www.allmyanmar.com/myanmarmore/myanmar-jewelry.htm

Side note, if you go to Bagan and are interested in good quality lacquerware, I can also tip you, as we scouted those rather extensively last year, visited a few workshops and came back with a full cardbox. You'll need to pay cash there. We are even discussing commissioning some furniture in lacquerware, though do not agree yet on what and which design. Buying lacquerware in Yangon is not as interesting, IMO.

dbetterindy

Rough_Rock
Hi Lea,

wow wow! you are giving me tonnes of useful information!!! big hug!!! Hopefully i can pick a sapphire there... usually how much does a sapphire cost (like 1.5-2ct) in yangon? I am not looking for the royal blue material. I would like to pick something blue with green hue. I know that credit card is not accepted there. So i am thinking how much cash i should bring......

I would like to pick a pair of pearls as my best friend's wedding gift too :naughty: :naughty:

I am not going to Bagan this time since I will only have 4 days in Myanmar. I will definitely check out Bagan next time :D

LeaD

Rough_Rock
At the museum, credit card seems to be quite widely accepted now. However you'll have to pay an additional fee of 4% (not sure about the %, maybe 5). It's probably easier for the nego, if you pay cash though.
Regarding sapphires, most of the volume is below 1 to 1.5 carats. Above 1.5, if you exclude the too shallow stones, you might well see less than 10-20 gems.
Prices I saw for sapphires between 1 and 2 carats were per carat between 600 and 1,500 USD per carat. I exclude there the unreasonable prices asked by vendors waiting for the mythical HK buyers whose pockets overflow with bills. I did not see real good quality gem, which should be more expensive, but I'm not sure you'll see any. Most common colors I saw were variations around light sky blue.
BTW, only perfectly brand-new immaculate never folded ever bank-notes, the likes of which one rarely sees in the US (or in any country with its own currency for that matter). Check them as thoroughly as you'll check the gem, one by one both sides.

dbetterindy

Rough_Rock
ew...the price of the sapphire is not low! I guess i may just pick some pearls..............

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So jealous that you get to go to Yangon! If you feel up to it, we'd welcome photos of your trip - even if you strike out in the gem department. :praise:

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Do let us know what you buy please =)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It seems there are no deals to be had lately, given the continuing trend of rising sapphire prices and shopping close to the source can be more challenging as LeaD shared her experience. I hope you'll post your experience in Yangon when you get back.

dbetterindy

Rough_Rock
Sure! i will share my experience with u all when i am back :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results