shape
carat
color
clarity

Button question help needed please

beachbound

Rough_Rock
I bought my wedding dress eight years ago, (yes, I've been engaged that long. :D) upon getting it out of the bag recently, I found that one of the button covers was missing. I have torn my house apart trying to find it to no avail. I also found that the bridal shop I purchased my dress at is no longer in business. I do not know where to go to find a replacement button cover. I also have no craft stores located around me that sell anything like that. Believe me, I've called them all within a 50 mile radius. Does anyone have any suggestions, ideas, etc.? I was hoping one of you lovely people could lead me in the right direction. I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks so much in advance! :wavey:

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Button covers: http://www.etsy.com/search?includes[]=tags&q=button+covers

Alternatively, perhaps buttons here will match what you have or you could replace what you have with a whole new set: ETA I tried including a link, but it didn't work. Just google wedding dress buttons and look for etsy in the results.

Have you tried a sewing store?

If you can post a picture or description, including dimensions, perhaps we can help find the perfect item.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not even sure I really know what a button cover is....

But if you have a great many of them, you can move one of the bottom ones to where you want, and just sew that part up?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who is the dress designer? Can you take a picture of your dress and one zoomed in of the button cover, e-mail the designer, and see if you can order them through the designer?

beachbound

Rough_Rock
I'm sorry for not getting back with you all sooner! I have been swamped at work... Thank you all for your posts. Unfortunately, we do not have any sewing stores near where I live. I've included a picture to show you all. Basically it is a button with a cloth cover/fabric cap over top of it. Now there is just a regular white button. I wish I could sew it together, but it is the top button on the dress. Pinto, I will definitely e-mail them and see what they have to say. I definitely hadn't thought of that. Sorry for the bad picture, I couldn't get any closer. I will check into all of your suggestions right away, thank you very much! If anyone has any other suggestions, please keep them coming! Thanks again everyone!

005.jpg

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you look to see if there's an extra button inside the dress?

If no button inside, would you be amenable to moving the bottom covered button to the top and the top uncovered button to the bottom? The uncovered button won't be noticeable, or as noticeable, on the bottom.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OOoo.... how about dry cleaners/tailors in your area? They fix buttons for people all the time - maybe they would have extra button covers, or know how to fashion one! To narrow the focus - Have you tried contacting wedding dress stores with alterations in house, or a preferred tailor they send their customers too?

Another thought I had was - places that do wedding dress preservation.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

beachbound

Rough_Rock
Thank you all, truly, for your help and suggestions. Mary, I have looked all over that dress and there are no extra buttons located ANYWHERE inside the dress. I looked it over today, and I think that removing the bottom button and putting it at the top would definitely work, if none of Pinto's suggestions work. I wouldn't want to take off a button if someone could make one for me. Pinto, I will definitely call around places tomorrow to see if anyone like that does that. I think that with everyone's suggestions, I should definitely be able to work something out! I actually ordered buttons off of etsy last week, and they arrived today... Unfortunately, none of the button colors matched my wedding dress! That was pretty frustrating. Again, thank you all so much for your suggestions. I'm worrying about this all now because I would like to sell my wedding dress... Speaking of, does anyone know where to go to sell an unworn, unaltered wedding dress? I absolutely love my dress, but now we are planning a much smaller, outdoorsy kind of wedding, and unfortunately, my dress just does not match the venue. Buying my dress after we first got engaged, I didn't realize that there were different types of weddings besides your typical "traditional" wedding. Again, any suggestions on where to sell would be much appreciated. THANK YOU ALL AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!! I've been trying to figure this out for over four years now, and all of your suggestions have helped me tremendously.

beachbound

Rough_Rock
Oh, and Pinto, my dress is Exclusive Bridals by A.C.E., which is an "exclusive" line of Allure Bridal. If that is true or not, I do not know. I found my paperwork from the bridal boutique I bought my dress at and that is what they told me. Has anyone ever heard of this?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooo... Hey Sarah! You know what might be nice, being that this is a diamond forum and all :naughty: , how about replacing the top button with some kind of a "blingy" top button? Make it look PURPOSEFULLY different, as opposed to a "naked" button with no cover.. :nono: ?

beachbound

Rough_Rock
LOL! That's definitely not a bad idea, as the dress itself is very blingy. However, it's the second button from the top, so I don't think I could pull that one off. If I were keeping the dress, it would definitely be something to consider! Very creative! I do like my bling... :naughty:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
*Sarah*|1345086362|3252167 said:
LOL! That's definitely not a bad idea, as the dress itself is very blingy. However, it's the second button from the top, so I don't think I could pull that one off. If I were keeping the dress, it would definitely be something to consider! Very creative! I do like my bling... :naughty:

Swap 'em... hee hee hee... I won't tell... cover that 2nd button up with the button cover, and bling out the top one. :saint:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results