shape
carat
color
clarity

Butterfly, screw or la pousette backs for my new studs?

sushi

Shiny_Rock
Hello Lovely PSers!

I feel like one of my selfish ex-boyfriends sometimes here! Take Take Take and very little to give! As my knowledge is so limited, I cant really comment on many things, unless I think they are pretty! Which of course I do, but i cant help feeling a little guilty that I ask so many questions from you all! Whoops! Anyway, another question please people...

I am about to go to the jewellers to set my new diamonds into studs. They are 1carat each... And im trying to decide which backs?

Screw, butterfly or la pousette?

Im scared to lose butterflys, (which I have done before) screws drive me bonkers, and im not sure la pousette will be comfortable to sleep in... (which Im sure i will do)

I THINK screw seems like the most logical, as also my jeweller doesnt stock la pousette, but a friend of mine swears by them..

Any thoughts?

Thank you SO much!

xox sushi

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sushi, the forum is here to answer questions just like this, so ask away!

I would say that very few here have chosen screw posts and backs. The threads can wear down over time and they are really a pain to take on and off. I always get the larger size push backs and have never had a problem. But regardless of the backs you choose, you must have insurance on studs just in case you do lose one. I've never tried La Pousette backs because the regular kind works fine for me.

nomissjane

Shiny_Rock
I have the la poussette backs on my martini studs and love them. Not sure if the size of the studs makes a difference, but mine are .7ct each and got them on the advice of Lesley at BGD.
They are super comfortable to wear, feel really secure despite being quite simple to take on and off, and while I don't usually sleep in them I've never once felt them or thought them uncomfortable the times I have slept in them.

sushi

Shiny_Rock
DS - thanks for the advice, Ive only ever had the small normal butterflys and i have lost 2 diamond studs in the past (maybe more!) as i have very long hair and im always flicking it (not on purpose i assure you!). But ill ask my jewellery about the bigger backs...

Nomissjane - thanks, do you worry about the spring breaking or something in them? The difference between a 1ct and .7 is barely anything, but it is definitely interesting that BGD recommended La Pousette for your size. I kind of guess that at about this size or bigger they are easier to catch and fall out.. Actually Can you tell me if the la pousette back pushes all the way to the ear? I read that they just click on the end, and as i have thin earlobes then the earrings would just drop forward. Also is a la pousette back something i can add at a later time? Or are the posts specifically made for them?

Thank you again

xoxo sushi

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
I have the regular backs on all my studs, and I wear them 24/7. The studs I gave my mother for Christmas 1 1/2 years ago have La Pousettes, and she doesn't take them off either. Screw backs are so painful to out off and on I'll never buy another pair.

nomissjane

Shiny_Rock
sushi|1342417220|3234642 said:
DS - thanks for the advice, Ive only ever had the small normal butterflys and i have lost 2 diamond studs in the past (maybe more!) as i have very long hair and im always flicking it (not on purpose i assure you!). But ill ask my jewellery about the bigger backs...

Nomissjane - thanks, do you worry about the spring breaking or something in them? The difference between a 1ct and .7 is barely anything, but it is definitely interesting that BGD recommended La Pousette for your size. I kind of guess that at about this size or bigger they are easier to catch and fall out.. Actually Can you tell me if the la pousette back pushes all the way to the ear? I read that they just click on the end, and as i have thin earlobes then the earrings would just drop forward. Also is a la pousette back something i can add at a later time? Or are the posts specifically made for them?

Thank you again

xoxo sushi

Sushi, I've had mine for about a year now and wear them everyday. I've never worried about the spring breaking, they seem very secure.
They have a groove at the end of the earring post which stops the back from sliding past and coming off, but you can easily push the back into your lobe and wear them firmer, I mostly do.
Sorry but I have no idea about adding the backs at a later stage.
I just know that so far I've worried less about losing my diamond studs with these backs than I have been in the past about other earrings with regular backs. I know the regular backs are loved by loads of people, but I guess that for me I can't feel any real difference and so enjoy the added security.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
I vote la Pousette. That's what me and my daughter use. She wears hers in the shower, I do not. I don't think you need to worry about the spring, but I try not to get them wet, just in case. Screwbacks chew up my ear. I can't use threaded posts.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nomissjane|1342416817|3234640 said:
I have the la poussette backs on my martini studs and love them. Not sure if the size of the studs makes a difference, but mine are .7ct each and got them on the advice of Lesley at BGD.
They are super comfortable to wear, feel really secure despite being quite simple to take on and off, and while I don't usually sleep in them I've never once felt them or thought them uncomfortable the times I have slept in them.

I just got med. sized push backs for my studs - they feel very secure and I have no concerns about them. My studs are nowhere near 1 ct each, thought!

Screwbacks were just too uncomfortable to put in and take out, especially since I've always made a point of keeping my piercings small. I think screwbacks might make sense if you're planning to leave your earrings in 24/7.

Nomissjane - can you use the la pousette with any stud earring, or does it require a special post? Can you position the back anywhere on the post? I'm fine with the backs I have on my studs, but my SIL is paranoid about losing one of hers...

Thanks!

ETA - nevermind... I see you've already answered my questions! :wink2:

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

I had a pair of screw backs that hurt when I took them on and off for the first month that I owned them, then my ears became use to them. After a few years, I found that the backs would unscrew on their own and I had to check them a couple of times a day and rescrew the backs up. Later, I got heavy duty friction posts and only once did they come undone. My son was doing something and his fingernail managed to get caught under the butterfly back and it yanked the back off!

In the future I'd always look for heavy duty friction and GET INSURANCE!!! Even if your earrings stay safe in your ears, they may get misplaced or something else might happen.

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
I have all three types.

Personally I hate screw backs.. it hurts to put in and take out, and it takes forever to screw in and out.

La pousette backs are really nice. It takes some practice initially, but once you get used to it, it's like a heaven bless. I believe this type of backs requires special posts. The back can be pushed all the way to the back of the earlobe. It can also just sit in the little groove in the post, or somewhere in between the groove and the very back of your ear.

Butterflies are nice too. If you go with them, make sure you get ones that are large enough so that the studs to sit properly and comfortably. I'd error on the larger side.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results