shape
carat
color
clarity

Busy, busy, busy…

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock

I haven’t been around much for the last two weeks… I finally got settled in the apartment J and I share, started my second summer job, I''ve been my sister get ready for her exchange trip (she’s leaving next Saturday!

6.gif
) and wedding planning is now in full swing.

Two weekends ago, I went to Ottawa with my mother and sister to visit my grandmother, and we went to the two Ottawa Bonny retailers in search of my dream wedding dress. Neither carried the actual dress, but I got to try on two Bonny dresses similar to it. The first one was a corset back and the right size and the shape looked great, but the ivory colour looked really blah (I wish we’d taken pics anyway…). The second wasn’t a corset back, but it looked and felt amazing even though it was still a few inches too big at the bust (pics to follow). My sister asked for price quotes while I was trying on dresses, and the second store would save me 100$ on my dress, and 50$ on each of the BM dresses, plus a free veil for me! I’m thrilled, and I will order the three dresses the next time I visit my grandmother.

My mother took my to Michael’s Arts and Crafts store for ideas since we have a few DIY projects and I found the cutest hand-made paper and vellum DIY invites packages (really inexpensive too!). J and I really like this one, so if the folded cardstock ones I wanted to make don’t work out, I will pick it up when I’ll go order the dresses.

Unfortunately, there was some arguing (again), because my parents want to invite my sister’s godparents. They are my mother’s aunt and uncle, and even though I’d love to invite them, I just can’t. So my parents were upset, saying they’d pay for them so what’s the problem, it’s really going to upset them to not be invited, my great-aunt wanted to throw me a shower (!), the whole guilt trip.

I appreciate their intention, really. They want to avoid hurting feelings and they’d pay for it so it’s no trouble for me. But I’m mad that they took this decision without consulting me and that they assumed everything would be fine. They just don’t seem to understand the situation we’re in.

Our guest list is at 90 and we can’t invite more. We really can’t. We have big families, and even without inviting cousins, we only have 18 spots left for friends. Which sucks. If we invite my great aunt and uncle because we see them more then once a year, I couldn’t tell J he can’t invite his great-aunt he also sees more than once a year… And poof! 4 more spots taken by family (which there is already too many of) and we’re down to 14 spots for friends.

And most importantly… J and I have spent the last 12 months trying to get his mother to understand that this is OUR wedding and that we will do whatever we darn please, no matter how much she whines, bitches and blackmails. She “forgot” the promised 1k because we wouldn’t agree to her demands, but we didn’t back down. She tried to make us feel guilty, but it didn’t work. So she’s finally just shutting up and letting us do our thing… And now my parents are taking decisions without asking first. Caving in because they are paying or because someone would be upset undermines everything we’ve worked for in the past year. It hurts me so much that they’ve been so supportive through my ordeal with my FMIL and now they’re acting just like her. They might not see it that way, but that’s what it is.

Eloping is pretty much out of the question at this point, we’d lose money that we can afford to lose. I’ve been thinking about ways to tone it down even more than we already have, but I have to run them by my FI.

QUESTION: Have any of you been in/at a wedding with 30-ish guests? What kind of reception did you/they have?

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Here are the pics of the dress I tried on. It''s not the dress I want to order, but it''s a Bonny with the same shpae so it gave me a pretty good idea. Please ignore the bra strap and horrid tanlines...

SV5005132.jpg

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Pic 2

SV5005142.jpg

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Pic 3

SV5005152.jpg

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Anchor,
I''m glad dress shopping went well and you could try on something similar. I think your dress will be beautiful on you! I definitely like the shape of the one you tried on.
I love that Michael''s has many styles of invites. I got mine from there with a coupon and I am very happy w/how they turned out. Just give yourself some room for the ones that don''t print out straight. That drove me crazy and was worse w/the rsvp''s than w/the invites. No idea why but at times, they printed much higher than the formatted called for.

Sorry to hear things are still difficult w/family but it is good that his parents are getting better. I guess if it''s not one thing, it''s the other! I hope they will let it go soon so that you don''t have to argue over guestlist for too long.

I haven''t been to/in a 30ish people wedding but mine will be between 40-50 (I think). We''re just planning on keeping it simple, having the ceremony, about an hour of mingling and hors d''oeuvres coupled w/the first dance, then lunch, then mingling and dancing for those who wish to. We won''t have a dance floor and I don''t plan to dance but there will be music and I plan to just hang out and enjoy the company. I don''t know if that answers your question at all about smaller receptions but if there''s something more specific, I can try to help.

labbielove

Brilliant_Rock
i agree, the shape of that dress is great on you, and i think i remember the dress you want (blue?) if so, it will be stunning,

so sorry about the family problems. fi and i have the "excuse" that the chapel only fits 100, and we don''t want it filled to capacity (we''re hoping for 85 max), so nobody can argue with our guest list

to me, the smaller the better, and if i didn''t have a huge immediate family, we''d be on the 50 or so list too.
i know there are some girls here who have had that size and can have some good pointers for you-
good luck and hang in there with the family thing- don''t be afraid to stand your ground!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
anchor, you look AMAZING!

beachbound

Rough_Rock
Sounds like you have a lot going on. I love the shape of that dress, it''s gorgeous!
30.gif
Don''t let them push you around! Hold your ground! My FI and I started originally planning a bigger wedding, but everyone kept wanting to invite WAY too many people!!! Soon, our 50 guest wedding had turned in to almost 200!! (Hence the beach wedding!
2.gif
) Be strong and keep standing up for yourselves!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/2/2007 9:10:06 PM
Author: dixie94
Hi Anchor,
I''m glad dress shopping went well and you could try on something similar. I think your dress will be beautiful on you! I definitely like the shape of the one you tried on.
I love that Michael''s has many styles of invites. I got mine from there with a coupon and I am very happy w/how they turned out. Just give yourself some room for the ones that don''t print out straight. That drove me crazy and was worse w/the rsvp''s than w/the invites. No idea why but at times, they printed much higher than the formatted called for.

Sorry to hear things are still difficult w/family but it is good that his parents are getting better. I guess if it''s not one thing, it''s the other! I hope they will let it go soon so that you don''t have to argue over guestlist for too long.

I haven''t been to/in a 30ish people wedding but mine will be between 40-50 (I think). We''re just planning on keeping it simple, having the ceremony, about an hour of mingling and hors d''oeuvres coupled w/the first dance, then lunch, then mingling and dancing for those who wish to. We won''t have a dance floor and I don''t plan to dance but there will be music and I plan to just hang out and enjoy the company. I don''t know if that answers your question at all about smaller receptions but if there''s something more specific, I can try to help.
Thanks for the compliments, advice and insight. If we decide to invite only immediate families and close friends we''d have 36 people... I''d love that, but I''d have to run it by FI.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/2/2007 9:17:23 PM
Author: labbielove
i agree, the shape of that dress is great on you, and i think i remember the dress you want (blue?) if so, it will be stunning,

so sorry about the family problems. fi and i have the ''excuse'' that the chapel only fits 100, and we don''t want it filled to capacity (we''re hoping for 85 max), so nobody can argue with our guest list

to me, the smaller the better, and if i didn''t have a huge immediate family, we''d be on the 50 or so list too.
i know there are some girls here who have had that size and can have some good pointers for you-
good luck and hang in there with the family thing- don''t be afraid to stand your ground!
Thanks! Yup, the one I want is all blue in the back.

We also have a capacity limit - 90. Which is why if we invite more family we''ll have to bump friends. Even though we''re expecting some people not to show up, I don''t want to take chance, and I want to keep it SMALL! I definitely agree with "the smaller the better".

Thanks for the support.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2007 9:46:36 AM
Author: princesss
anchor, you look AMAZING!
Thank you!
emembarrassed.gif
I like the veil too, although I might get elbow length instead of fingertip.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2007 9:58:39 AM
Author: beachbound
Sounds like you have a lot going on. I love the shape of that dress, it''s gorgeous!
30.gif
Don''t let them push you around! Hold your ground! My FI and I started originally planning a bigger wedding, but everyone kept wanting to invite WAY too many people!!! Soon, our 50 guest wedding had turned in to almost 200!! (Hence the beach wedding!
2.gif
) Be strong and keep standing up for yourselves!
Thanks. I love how simple and clean the lines of the dress are.

Thanks for the support! Our wedding could easily have grown to 500 if we weren''t standing our ground... So... we''ll see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results