shape
carat
color
clarity

Burma American Trading Company

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

brendaleong

Rough_Rock
Hi

has anyone heard of the Burma American Trading Company? This company buys stones directly from Burma and trades under SKS Enterprises.

Attached is a pic of an unheated Mongkok ruby they sent me. I wanted to get some feedback form anyone who has bought from them.

Thanks

Brenda

ruby 2.8.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Brenda...welcome.

Interesting...I''ve never heard of them...and couldn''t find anything with Google, either.

Is SKS Enterprises aka SK Samuels, the guy who wrote a book reviewed by Palagems?

How did YOU find them?

widget

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
As far as I know trade of Burmese gems that have recently been exported from Burma is still against the law in this country. See this link:
http://www.ruby-sapphire.com/burma_embargo.htm

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/18/2005 6:18:37 PM
Author: Michael_E
As far as I know trade of Burmese gems that have recently been exported from Burma is still against the law in this country. See this link:

http://www.ruby-sapphire.com/burma_embargo.htm

Nope. According to an article in the current "Colored Stone," the U.S. Customs and Border Protection has recently created a loophole in the law. It will allow nearly all gems from Myanmar/Burma to enter the U.S. legally if they undergo what is called "substantial transformation" (i.e. cutting and heating) in another country like Thailand, making them a product of that country for legal purposes. Direct imports to the U.S. from Burma are still illegal.

More than half of all Burmese ruby is cut in Bangkok, with only 3 percent coming direct to the U.S. from Burma in the year prior to the ban. It''s interesting that the CBP ruling was requested by Tiffany & Co., which is continuing its moratorium on purchasing rubies, spinel and jadeite mined in Burma despite the new ruling. The AGTA and Jewelers of America say their members can legally sell Burmese stones in the U.S. if they have certification they were cut in a third country.

But the issue remains hot politically, with activist groups like the U.S. Campaign for Burma urging consumers not to buy from retailers who sell Burmese products.

Richard M.

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Quite right, Burmese gems exported as raw material and cut or recut in Bangkok are imported to the U. S. legally. Gotta tell ya, most of the people I saw in the marketplace during my recent trip to Burma were little guys and in my opionion the embargo does little to discourage the generals only hurts the small miners and dealers for whom a sale may mean the difference between eating or going hungry. For more information see my travelogue: www.rwwwise.com

brendaleong

Rough_Rock
Widget

Yes, SKS Enterprises is aka SK Samuels. Have you done business with him?

I have been corresponding with him on the attached ruby with he says is a 2.8 carat untreated Mongkok ruby. He has just sent it to AGTA for testing and will be sending me the report when he gets it.

His website http://burma-america-trading.com.hosting.domaindirect.com/news.htm says they buy directly from Burma.

I found the website easily enough....by doing a search on Yahoo for ''untreated burmese ruby''.

Brenda

widget

Ideal_Rock
Author: stone lover

SKS Enterprises is aka SK Samuels. Have you done business with him?
No, I just found his name when I googled "SKS Enterprises". He sounds like an interesting guy....

You''d think someone around here would have heard of him..

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's a price for everything, of course... but that picture shows a dark purplish stone that I might have thought to be garnet without your explanation.

Lots of ruby looks like that (dark with strong orange or purple overtone): the look is very close to rhodolite garnet and the prices far from what makes Burmese ruby famous.

It can well be that the picture is bad. AGTA will not give any grading of color or value - just identify it as unheated ruby of certain probable origin (if you ask them to identify origin). That's a good start, but does not indicate value in any way. "Unheated" and "Burma" are valuable attributes only if the stone looks good.

Well, just my 0.2.

brendaleong

Rough_Rock
Valaria101

I agree with you that the stone did look a little darker than I would have liked for a ruby.

I suppose that explains the price as well - it''s USD4000/carat.

Thanks

Brenda

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/19/2005 5:41:26 AM

I agree with you that the stone did look a little darker - it''s USD4000/carat.
Well, the question is "how dark". Take a look at multicolour.com for their Thai ruby (just sort their listings by weight, and you should find the few 2-3cts pieces easily). Those "Unheated" and "Burma" words are worth something beyond what the stone looks (unfortunately, IMO, but this is life)... but that''s allot more than I would have thought from the picture. Does the stone look close to that in person ?

widget

Ideal_Rock
I was wondering about that picture myself...it seems that they should have been able to get a better shot of the stone. From that pic you can get no sense of the cut, faceting, clarity, etc.

I wonder if it''s a nicer looking stone than it looks? You''d think it must be, if they''re asking 4k/ct!!

widget

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Natural unheated Burma rubies hardly exist at all. However, as Valeria rightly points out "Burma" and "unheated" are only of interest if the gem is of interest. Its all about the rock. Remember, gems have no nutritional value so if they are not beautiful then whats the point.

I sold a matched pair of natural 1 carat size old mine stones for more than twice that per carat price but they were top gem. As we know its hard to tell from a photo but that ruby sure looks brown on my monitor.

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
ok, here we go a fine pigeon blood ruby not for sale just for your delectation.

Ruby2_d.jpg

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Opps a padparadscha rather than a ruby, damn that little mouse, has a mind of its own. Here is the ruby.

dia_0084.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/19/2005 10:34:41 AM
Author: Richard W. Wise
Opps a padparadscha rather than a ruby, damn that little mouse, has a mind of its own. Here is the ruby.
Gee !

Returning to the original 12k question, what would make a reasonable ruby buy for that ? Sure there's room for lots of diverging tastes and opinions, only yours is allot better than many if you might care to share...
9.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Good Grief, Richard...that ruby makes me dizzy!!
23.gif
30.gif
30.gif

(of course, the pad is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, too!
1.gif
)

widget

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow! what color!
30.gif

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Ana,

Despite the Gemstone Forecasters graph that lists a 1 carat AGL defined "pigeon blood" at $21,000 these stones, when available should be between 10-12,000 per carat. The stone pictured has a GRS (Swiss Gemological Lab, Bangkok) certificate describing the color as "vivid red" GRS pigeon blood".

The old saying still prevails: At a carat there is a price, at 1 1/2 carats that price doubles, at two carats the price triples...at six carats there is no price. (J. B. Tavernier 1668) In short, the price increases in a geometric progression from 1-6 carats. The stone that sold at Christies, 8.01 carat @ 2.2 million illustrates what happens at the top end. The Christie''s sale should stimulate the market.

brendaleong

Rough_Rock
Folks

Thank you all for the discussion this thread has generated. I will continue my search for an untreated burmese ruby of gem quality and will be sure to keep you all posted on my finds!

Brenda

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/19/2005 2:43:33 PM
Author: Richard W. Wise

Despite the Gemstone Forecasters graph that lists a 1 carat AGL defined ''pigeon blood'' at $21,000 these stones, when available should be between 10-12,000 per carat.
It took me a minute to remember what "Gemstone Forecasters" is...
9.gif

Since these guys do not cite sources for their data, it is feel aukward to take it seriously.

Is that list popular ? That doesn''t show well from this side of the screen.

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/20/2005 12:48:36 AM
Folks

Thank you all for the discussion this thread has generated. I will continue my search for an untreated burmese ruby of gem quality and will be sure to keep you all posted on my finds!

Brenda
Hi Brenda,

I would PM Richard Wise if I were you. I know he is holding out and has a gorgeous perfect blood red ruby he is willing to sell. I found out he just sold a pair and has the 3 ring stone left of the set.

brendaleong

Rough_Rock
MJO

Thanks for the tip.

I will PM Richard.

Brenda

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Ana,

Some of the graphs on Gemstone Forecasters site seem fairly accurate. However,the ruby one is way off. I think ths sapphire graph is a bit closer but sapphire is complicated by country of origin.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results