shape
carat
color
clarity

Burglary UK - help me find a replacement OMC!

d89s46

Rough_Rock
You may have seen my posts with me sourcing my OMC stone and having it reset for my engagement ring over the last year. Well I found the perfect stone in an old ring. Found a jeweller to set it in my design. Persuaded my love not to hyperventilate at the thought of the proposal. And....we’ve been burgled after having the new made up ring less than a day. I cannot believe it. We live in a nice area!! We have a dog that barks! The arseholes smashed the windows to open the window locks and took all my jewellery (mainly my grannies and not high value). We’re covered for everything as low value BAR THE RING which hasn’t been added as a special high value item as we’d got it THAT DAY - RAGE. So to cut a long story short, we still want to propose before the anniversary of my mum’s passing at Christmas as something nice for my dad this year. We can do it without the ring setting but we really want the stone! So I’m on a URGENT plea to help me find the very best sparkliest OMC diamond possible ASAP so my dad doesn’t need to know what’s happened.(he’s old and fragile atm). I’d already done so much research for the first diamond to get a H/VSI/1.5 OMC, so I know my choices are likely Old World Diamonds or @Rhino August Vintage for their ideal cuts. I’d rather get a second hand stone or a warmer colour (but not past J) budget wise given we’ve just been cleared out money wise! Please help me find the very loveliest sparkly amazing OMc diamond 1.5 to 1.8 I can buy ASAP to keep to my planned proposal date (for my dad)! I need some luck PS-ers!!

Pic from my lovely two hours I got to wear my ring to check it fitted properly if I was exercising, before those x#%€$¥*!!?:angryfire::angryfire::angryfire: broke in.
F7A8B142-C9E2-4F75-9139-4C99F6B6DDB2.jpeg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What an absolutely crappy thing to have happen; I am so sorry and hope the thieves are caught and your items returned.

Erica @ LoveAffairDiamonds is running some great specials right now ... check out her IG account and/or her website (www.loveaffairdiamonds.com). She may be able to help. Good luck! :wavey:

ETA: she specializes in old cuts.

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh.....my......GOSH!!!!! I just can’t even!!!!
I’m so so sorry. That is just awful.

It seems you know the usual suspects for dealers, so if you do need something ASAP, I would call Adam and tell him what happened and let him know time is of the essence. Same with Jon. I’ll look and see if I can find anything else worth looking at.

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Can I ask what your budget is? I don’t think you’ll be able to buy a loose stone and have it set before the holidays.

Adam has quite a few set and ready to wear, so you could ask about any of these:
http://oldworlddiamonds.com/jewelry.php?maxpage=4&sort=price&section=1&category=-1

https://www.jewelsbygrace.com/1-71ct-old-mine-cut-diamond-solitaire-gia-k-si2 Pretty, mounted and ready to wear! Could reset after the proposal if you really wanted to.

https://loupetroop.com/listings/rings/oec-diamond-floral-halo-ring-by-david-klass Not an old mine/cushion but old cuts, white, budget friendly with lots of presence.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, noooooo!!!!:(sad That is unreal! I am so very sorry! I'd still call your insurance and ask about it. Mine actually covers newly purchased jewelry for something like 90 days as long as it is added by then.

I didn't really see anything on the LAD site, and I imagine this AVC might be over budget since you just bought the other ring!

https://www.augustvintageinc.com/co...2-august-vintage-cushion-brilliant-4268-0101a

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Posting your budget will help us find viable options for you. One option, just shy of 1.5ct: http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/1...ion-diamond-in-lad-julia-solitaire-gia-g-si1/

You might also consider placing a "WTB" posting in the pre-loved forum. You never know when someone might be on the fence or about to list something that aligns with your wishes.

Pre-loved forum: https://www.pricescope.com/community/forums/preloved-ps-jewels.92/
You beat me to it! I was just about to post that one! It’s really lovely!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another option that crossed my mind: it may be easier and less expensive right now to get a sim such as an antique cut Moissanite that you can propose with ‘now’; then when time and funds allow, shop around again for a diamond that meets your requirements. It’s probably a bad time to be shopping right now given your time constraints and the ‘competition’ with other buyers who also want to propose for the holidays, and I’d hate to see you settle on/for a diamond - a major purchase - when your emotions are high with everything that has happened to you and what you’re trying to do in such a short time frame and potentially have resentment or regrets later. You could always then reset the temp stone into a pendant or something else (or resell it) once you find a new diamond.

Just an option to consider if nothing else turns up that fits your wishes.

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
So sorry to hear this happened to you. My best woahes for Christmas and I hope you find the replacement you would like. Blessings.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry to hear about this, some people are scum.

As above, a diamond simulant or a laboratory grown diamond will provide more for a limited budget.

However, did you pay on credit card? If so, check your Ts&Cs ASAP - you may be covered for damage and/or loss, as I'm sure that used to be the case.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d already done so much research for the first diamond to get a H/VSI/1.5 OMC, so I know my choices are likely Old World Diamonds or @Rhino August Vintage for their ideal cuts. I’d rather get a second hand stone or a warmer colour (but not past J) budget wise given we’ve just been cleared out money wise! Please help me find the very loveliest sparkly amazing OMc diamond 1.5 to 1.8 I can buy ASAP to keep to my planned proposal date (for my dad)! I need some luck PS-ers!!

Oh my gosh I am so sorry! How awful and grrrrr to those burglars...I hope they are caught and get what they deserve.:nono:

I agree with your top 2 choices (Adam @oldworlddiamonds and Jon @Rhino) for vendors to source you the ring of your dreams...I would call them (vs emailing) and tell them what happened and see what they can find for you within your budget and I hope insurance will cover it for you! Both vendors are big hearted and perhaps they can work out a special deal for you and your FI to make what happened just a bit less awful. Again so sorry and wishing you both a very happy, healthy and blingy future...one day (hopefully soon) this negative experience will be just a bit of a blip on your radar. (((Hugs))).

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
I feel very sorry for you. But is the burglary just after your purchase a coincidence? Is there a possibility that the jeweler indicated your address to burglars? I'm probably paranoid but...

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m so sorry to hear this! I like the moissanite or other sim idea. Could be a placeholder until all of this is sorted out. She may end up loving it!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
You may have seen my posts with me sourcing my OMC stone and having it reset for my engagement ring over the last year. Well I found the perfect stone in an old ring. Found a jeweller to set it in my design. Persuaded my love not to hyperventilate at the thought of the proposal. And....we’ve been burgled after having the new made up ring less than a day. I cannot believe it. We live in a nice area!! We have a dog that barks! The arseholes smashed the windows to open the window locks and took all my jewellery (mainly my grannies and not high value). We’re covered for everything as low value BAR THE RING which hasn’t been added as a special high value item as we’d got it THAT DAY - RAGE. So to cut a long story short, we still want to propose before the anniversary of my mum’s passing at Christmas as something nice for my dad this year. We can do it without the ring setting but we really want the stone! So I’m on a URGENT plea to help me find the very best sparkliest OMC diamond possible ASAP so my dad doesn’t need to know what’s happened.(he’s old and fragile atm). I’d already done so much research for the first diamond to get a H/VSI/1.5 OMC, so I know my choices are likely Old World Diamonds or @Rhino August Vintage for their ideal cuts. I’d rather get a second hand stone or a warmer colour (but not past J) budget wise given we’ve just been cleared out money wise! Please help me find the very loveliest sparkly amazing OMc diamond 1.5 to 1.8 I can buy ASAP to keep to my planned proposal date (for my dad)! I need some luck PS-ers!!

Pic from my lovely two hours I got to wear my ring to check it fitted properly if I was exercising, before those x#%€$¥*!!?:angryfire::angryfire::angryfire: broke in.
F7A8B142-C9E2-4F75-9139-4C99F6B6DDB2.jpeg
I’m soooooo sorry this happened to you..I’m sure the people here will help you find your perfect diamond...My heart goes out to you..

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I feel very sorry for you. But is the burglary just after your purchase a coincidence? Is there a possibility that the jeweler indicated your address to burglars? I'm probably paranoid but...
Yes..or someone that works there..Have you reported it to the police?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will add thank goodness you were not at home and no one was hurt in the burglary. That's the main thing and anything material wise can eventually be replaced but one's life cannot so really like I said consider this but a minor blip in your lives. The main thing is you are both safe and sound. But so awful that happened and so sorry for it but just thankful you are both OK!

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I can’t help but I wanted to say how sorry I am this happened to you. :cry2: From a fellow uk PS-er x

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would definitely report it to the police and call the insurance company. Like DS, my policy covers any new jewelry for a period of time even though I might not have called them yet. Definitely worth checking out!

I am so terribly sorry this has happened; I can only imagine your frustration and angst right about now. I so hope the criminals are apprehended and your jewelry returned! If not that, then find a fabulous new ring - this just makes me sick to hear about!

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was also thinking about the sim idea that others suggested, it may well be easier and will definitely allow you to proceed with the proposal while giving you a time cushion to figure out the insurance etc. You can then have something cost effective to wear while you search for “the one” without any time pressure.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:eek-2:;(:(sad

Please do contact your home insurance provider, and your jewellery insurance provider as @diamondseeker2006 suggested!

Both my policies (from separate companies) have contingency terms for situations like this. It’s very possible yours will as well!!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rhino I think you are amazing. Never a bad word said about you. And your diamonds, well, they speak for themselves. One day I shall fly over the big pond & meet with you, as I dream of an AVC :))

@d89s46 I am so sorry to hear this has happened to you. I am also in the UK & I also got broken in to, many moons ago before my engagement, and they took other jewellery. Made me vomit. And I live in a really quite area of the Cheshire countryside! I only ever remove my wedding set now for cleaning. Those rings, my studs & solitaire pendant are on me 24/7, despite security measures now at our property - we are quite isolated. They are insured either way, but i’d rather have them on. I hope you can get sorted soon.

d89s46

Rough_Rock
Hi there everyone, thank you so much for your replies. Sorry for the delay in reply, I’ve been caught up in burglary admin! The least fun admin - police, window fitters, insurance, neighbours, pawn shops - you can imagine! So it looks as though we are definitely not covered for the stone. The only bit we’re covered for is the setting which was paid for on credit card. I just can’t believe it! We’ve had a crappy year and now this! 2019 can only be better! We have an ombudsman here in the UK we can appeal to re the stone and our house insurance so we will look at that avenue. Thanks for all the ideas. The simulation is a great idea although it would need to look fairly realistic or my dad would definitely notice it was a different stone! We can then look at finding the perfect stone again in new year once we have paid for Christmas and deposit for wedding. I will definitely email you though @Rhino. Thanks so much everyone. Xx

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh jeez, that's terrible! People are foul sometimes. My thoughts are with you, and I am so glad that you and your fiance are unhurt. Your love for each other will definitely get you through!

I second the suspicion that it's strange you JUST got the ring and this happened. I cannot imagine how upsetting this is for you. I can only hope that the police are able to find the people who did this and they rot in jail for it!

I take it your father has already seen the stone/ring or some combo thereof? It might be easier to tell a little white lie and say that the real ring went out to be reset and maybe save funds for a replacement rather than sink your money into a rushed stone right now? I dont know what your financials are right now but I would wait a bit for the negative feelings you're feeling right this second to pass before running out to make a semi-impulse purchase.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results