shape
carat
color
clarity

Building My First Gemstone Ring

ipodobe

Rough_Rock
Starting a new thread since I have decided to put together my own ring. I'm leaning towards spinels, assuming I can find one in the color I like (blues, violets, or an inbetween of the two colors.)

I chatted with Jeff Davies a bit about my goals/budget and he suggested the following spinel:
http://jefferydavies.com/inventory/product/188-spinel-3-90ct

I'm still very much a novice when it comes to gemstones, so any thoughts on this stone would be appreciated!

I want two trillion cut white/clear stones on the side, such as white sapphires. He suggested zircons since he said white sapphires are not available. I know nothing about zircons so I did a little searching. Is a 7.5 hardness safe enough for daily wear on these side stones? I'm not in a rush to build the ring, so I could always hold out for the white sapphires if need be.

This may be an ongoing thread, so feel free to post any suggestions if you've seen some stones you think I would like!

Thanks all for your help!

ps05618.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know the exact shade you want so it will be difficult to comment on the stone as to whether it fits what you are looking for. Observe the video rather than look at the picture. The spinel is rather dark and is likely to black out reasonably often. On the positive side, it is well cut so there should be some flash but if you are looking for a bright stone, this is not the right stone for you.

Zircons are white, sparkly and inexpensive but will not hold up to daily wear. They abrade easily, and coupled with double refraction, could end up looking rather worn a lot sooner than the spinel.

ipodobe

Rough_Rock
I see what you mean now, after reading about color tone and saturation.

The other one I had fallen for, not in my preferred color choice, but it made my heart stop when I saw it:
http://www.finewatergems.com/spinel.html 3.08 Burmese Spinel

I'm starting to wonder if it is too dark too? I think it is difficult on screen, not to mention to a completely untrained eye.

I'll learn...just still feeling really overwhelmed!

4319164.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's hard to say whether it will be too dark for you because I don't know where your tolerance lies. For me, yes, it would be too dark. The inclusion in the lower right might be too large to be hidden/covered by a prong.

As you can tell, I am very good at disabling. :devil:

ipodobe

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1420729297|3813458 said:
It's hard to say whether it will be too dark for you because I don't know where your tolerance lies. For me, yes, it would be too dark. The inclusion in the lower right might be too large to be hidden/covered by a prong.

As you can tell, I am very good at disabling. :devil:

Yes..I see the inclusion. Why would it be considered VS then? I know his photos are highly magnified though.

Nothing wrong with disabling. :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eagle eyed-ness will vary - some people can see inclusions from 12 inches away whilst other cannot see a thing from 6 inches away when looking at the same stone. I generally ignore clarity ratings such as VVS, VS, SI and the like, preferring to ask the vendor whether it is eye clean from X distance. The accepted standard is eye clean from 12 inches away but I'm just a bit fussier than most, preferring 6 inches away.

ipodobe

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1420730350|3813464 said:
Eagle eyed-ness will vary - some people can see inclusions from 12 inches away whilst other cannot see a thing from 6 inches away when looking at the same stone. I generally ignore clarity ratings such as VVS, VS, SI and the like, preferring to ask the vendor whether it is eye clean from X distance. The accepted standard is eye clean from 12 inches away but I'm just a bit fussier than most, preferring 6 inches away.

Good point. These are questions I would not think to ask but for PS!

Is it also common to ask them what type of lighting the photo was taken in? I've seen some vendors will mark it and also show it in different types of light.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ipodobe|1420730682|3813469 said:
Is it also common to ask them what type of lighting the photo was taken in? I've seen some vendors will mark it and also show it in different types of light.

Not a common question but a good question to ask nonetheless. Keep in mind that nobody wants to use an ugly picture to sell a stone so the stone is almost always on its best display.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ipodobe|1420729101|3813457 said:

The other one I had fallen for, not in my preferred color choice, but it made my heart stop when I saw it:

I'm starting to wonder if it is too dark too? I think it is difficult on screen, not to mention to a completely untrained eye.

Now this is a stone that's lacking in saturation. Can you tell why? Hint, there's a lot of grey in the gem.

The round in the picture below, bottom left, is in a similar hue family, but has much better saturation, although both gems are of medium tone or so.

spinel4_1_.jpg

ipodobe

Rough_Rock
TL|1420739157|3813548 said:

Now this is a stone that's lacking in saturation. Can you tell why? Hint, there's a lot of grey in the gem.

The round in the picture below, bottom left, is in a similar hue family, but has much better saturation, although both gems are of medium tone or so.

Ok, I see what you mean...thank you for the visual. Funny though, because I prefer the lesser value stone. Silver lining means I can afford more of what I want I suppose, ha!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ipodobe|1420752691|3813693 said:
TL|1420739157|3813548 said:

Ok, I see what you mean...thank you for the visual. Funny though, because I prefer the lesser value stone. Silver lining means I can afford more of what I want I suppose, ha!

Yes, if you prefer the lesser value stone, than that's better for your wallet, although some dealers do overcharge, even for lower quality material. I would just be careful because with colored stones, it's not always "you get what you pay for."

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've seen the 3.08ct in person, and I don't know that I'd recommend it. I was so unimpressed with it that I didn't bother to take any pictures...and I take pictures of everything. But it could be the right stone for someone, it just depends on what they are looking for.

S

SparkliesLuver

Do you like steely colored lavender gems (since you mentioned violet)? I find this spinel quite pretty, plus I think the shape would lend itself well to trillion sides. Then you can save the rest of your budget for the side stones and setting. ;-)

2.19ct spinel
8.2 X 6.1 mm
No treatment
$240
http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=7748

29829.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

Sorry, one more. Not sure how "far outside the lines" you like to go when it comes to cuts, but I found this and thought it'd be worth mentioning. I see more purple but he says pink, and he says it's bright so that's good. I'd still ask for additional pictures though.

"A very bright pink spinel with a faint hint of lavender cut in a unique design that features four stars, each within the other."

1.40 ct spinel
6.5mm
IF
No treatments
$700
http://clearcutgems.com/spinel/sp2.html

spinel-sp2.jpg

ipodobe

Rough_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1420808547|3813955 said:
Do you like steely colored lavender gems (since you mentioned violet)? I find this spinel quite pretty, plus I think the shape would lend itself well to trillion sides. Then you can save the rest of your budget for the side stones and setting. ;-)

2.19ct spinel
8.2 X 6.1 mm
No treatment
$240
http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=7748

I do like that quite a bit, but I'm still leaning towards more blue-violet.

What about this stone? Attached it, but here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/jeffery.davies.9/photos/pcb.712774262175224/712774185508565/?type=1&theater

At the end of the day I still want something that holds a bit of value...not that I plan on re-selling, but I want it to be an ok investment.

1978658_712774185508565_435467781229119300_n.jpg

ipodobe

Rough_Rock
FrekeChild|1420791032|3813931 said:
I've seen the 3.08ct in person, and I don't know that I'd recommend it. I was so unimpressed with it that I didn't bother to take any pictures...and I take pictures of everything. But it could be the right stone for someone, it just depends on what they are looking for.

Great feedback, thank you. :clap: I thought it looked stunning in pictures, but it's so hard to tell being so new at this. I'm so thankful for you PSers!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't check the FB link at work but again, I stress to look at the video, not at the picture of the gem for an accurate representation of the stone.

ipodobe

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1420810046|3813965 said:
I can't check the FB link at work but again, I stress to look at the video, not at the picture of the gem for an accurate representation of the stone.

That stone isn't on his site so I don't have video...maybe I can request it. It seems like the stones are darker in person/on video so you're right, video is important.

ipodobe

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1420810046|3813965 said:

That stone isn't on his site so I don't have video...maybe I can request it. It seems like the stones are darker in person/on video so you're right, video is important.

ipodobe

Rough_Rock
ricezo|1420815774|3814010 said:
Is this it? You can view the video via his eBay listing. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=371216755152

From my experience, yes sometimes his stones are darker IRL compared to his photos. However sometimes they are much nicer, my sapphires are much brighter and more saturated IRL compared to both his photo and video.

ETA: incase the above link doesn't work - http://m.ebay.com/itm/371216755152

Awesome, yes it is the one. I think it's too dark. :(

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Colour in the video looks pleasant but it shows quite a bit of extinction. You also have to be okay with the bowtie that comes on and off, depending on the movement/light.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I spotted a blue sapphire on Jeff Whites website. (look under vendors on the sticky above) Its 3.39 cts and 2, 150.00. Jeff White cuts his own stones and is a prize winning lapidary. Of course, the experts here should be asked to pass comments on tHE STONE

www.whitesgems.com
gOOD lUCK.

aNNETTE

ipodobe

Rough_Rock
smitcompton|1420823511|3814075 said:
Hi,

I spotted a blue sapphire on Jeff Whites website. (look under vendors on the sticky above) Its 3.39 cts and 2, 150.00. Jeff White cuts his own stones and is a prize winning lapidary. Of course, the experts here should be asked to pass comments on tHE STONE

www.whitesgems.com
gOOD lUCK.

aNNETTE

I would want to hear too, as it looks pretty nice for the size/price...

S

SparkliesLuver

I don't care for the inclusions, but if you're okay with them and like the color then I think it's a good stone. That's just me though. :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's a good reason why it is inexpensive. It could be the right stone for someone who doesn't mind the green modifier and does not care much about eye visible inclusions.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
What's your budget?
I'd ask Brad of thegemtrader.com if he has something. Multicolour might but their inventory has good and bad quality cuts, and their pics aren't always accurate so you need to know what to look for and read their descriptions of colour.

ipodobe

Rough_Rock
LoversKites|1420886006|3814501 said:
What's your budget?
I'd ask Brad of thegemtrader.com if he has something. Multicolour might but their inventory has good and bad quality cuts, and their pics aren't always accurate so you need to know what to look for and read their descriptions of colour.

I would like to stay below $3k including setting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results