shape
carat
color
clarity

Building a ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

walrus

Rough_Rock
where do i even begin? I would like to get a fairly unique engagement ring. I was thinking it would cost between 9-11,000. Am I better off trying to find a diamond online and get it to a local custom jeweler, or finding a unique ring online with diamond? local jeweler? I really can''t seem to find any good local jewelers and have considered places like bluenile, but the actual ring selection just seems a little vauge and not personal enough.

Any Ideas? Not to mention I was really wanting to have something by June.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Walrus and Welcome
35.gif

You've found Pricescope which is a great first step. Many of us here have purchased on-line as well as having custom projects done long distance. You can glance through the Show Me The Ring Forum where there are tons of pictures of different settings. You might also want to read through the Diamond Tutoral in the Knowlegde section to help get you started on how to select a gorgeous stone. You have a great budget and I'm sure you'll be able to find the perfect ring.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome Walrus
35.gif
As Mrssalvo says, she has given you great suggestions, most of the info you need for the diamond purchase will be in the tutorials under knowledge, remember cut is KEY for a beautiful diamond. You can also look under vendors at the top right of the page and go to their sites and check out their designs such as Whiteflash, James Allen etc. If you want to have something by June it is best to get going now! That is a very nice budget and I am sure you will find just what you are looking for!

walrus

Rough_Rock
yes whiteflash looks very nice. it seemed really hard to navigate and find actual ring designs, but I was considering it, but just wasnt sure about getting a diamond and getting it to them, or getting it through them. Thanks for the help! Also I am very excited I found pricescope and have already been through all the tutorials and have found lots of really good tips, like the focus on cut tip, that is restated in nearly every thread on the board, can''t believe how many people are still unaware of how important it is!!

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
WF is a super company to get your diamond through. You really can''t do much better then them. Plus, if they create your setting, they will take full responsibility for your diamond during setting, which is a must, in the unlikely event that your diamond were to chip while being set.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO, definistely consider shopping separately for diamond & setting. It may happen that bots are available at the same shop, but the process and things to consider are quite distinct (source, quality and price isues etc.)... and this is why more often than not shops do either well but not both (great service and selection of diamonds but not much in the way of settings or the other way around). Now, diamonds are not exactly made or cut or otherwise processed by local jewelry stores - it is only a matter of what each shop can order for you from their suppliers. And many shops would make custom rings for diamons bought elsewhere. It is more difficult to find a setting ready made to fit a range of stones - surely such things exist, but that's the sort that Blue Nile has - relatively simple and put together from pre-made interchangeable parts that may or may not fit nicely together. besides, it sounds like that is not the sort of thing you are after.

From your post, I am guessing that the design of the ring is more important, and if so, it may dictate what shape of diamond would best fit it. Browsing a couple of websites of jewelry designers and custom jewelers may help with that. There are allot mentioned here, and if you come up with an example or two of the style you like, other sugestions may turn up as well.

My 2c
1.gif

Speaking of designer browsing...

The picture gallery here ain't bad!

www.Pearlmansjewelers.com lists a number of designer lines, and besides the styles posted there virtually each and every have their own websites.

You might want to try:

www.artofplatinum.com

www.mwmjewelry.com

... both quite popular around here and it shuld be quite obvious why
2.gif

walrus

Rough_Rock
I really like this champagne design by white flash, my question is, has anyone seen similar designs that I may also be interested in? or are there other designs people would like to share that like this design too?

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/U-Prong-Champaigne-Pave-by-WF_740.htm

thanks again,

This site has definately taken me leaps and bounds over the 4 c''s and have learned much about the subject!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think Old bride has that ring. You can read her thread here
I haven''t seen anything similar, but WF has great prices and if you love their design i can see no reason to just just purchase it from them.

here''e a handshot of Old brides set..

MVC-009debF.JPG

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i haven''t seen anything quiet like the champagne design before. it really is lovely. here''s some more pics of it....

DN.jpg

champagneheadon.JPG

champagneprofile.JPG

i was surprised how much i really liked the look in yellow gold!
3.gif

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
That setting is lovely!

Here are some stones from WF to go with it (all stones are ACA or expert selection; price listed is PS discount price found via the search engine here):

1.27 I VS2 for $6792

1.23 H SI1 for $7130

0.90 D VVS2 for $7210

1.22 G SI1 for $7315

1.28 I VS1 for $7354

1.11 D SI1 for $7790

1.37 E SI2 for $7871

1.21 F SI1 for $8044

1.20 G VS2 for $8336

1.12 E VS2 for $8415

1.28 H VS1 for $8469

1.20 F VS1 for $8580

1.51 J VS1 $8911

1.52 E SI1 for $9552 (not perfect H&A and strong blue flourescence make this stone more affordable)

1.30 G VS2 for $9652

As you can see there isn''t much that is above 1.25 carats until you get to 1.5. In the 1.20 carat range, you can see how a few shifts in color and clarity affect the price.

Let us know what you are looking for and we can come up with more!

walrus

Rough_Rock
Great list thanks a bunch, I am looking for a princess cut, not sure how that would make it look at just above 1 ct, platinum for under about 11k for ring and diamond.

Anyone have any opinions of this ring with a princess, I really like it, and my girlfriend is so set on having a princess cut, so it may just not be a match?

thanks for all the ideas I''ve gotten from this site!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
you''ll have to find out if it can even be made with a princess. most recommend v-tips for the prongs on a princess because they are prone to chipping. You can just give Wf a call and they''ll be able to tell you.

walrus

Rough_Rock
the description on the site says it accomodates princess. I''m just not sure it would look good with a princess and the round daimonds sprinkled around the band.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just found this thread of Ivy's ring with a Radiant..it looks gorgeous to me.

Radiant%20JPEG.JPG

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
oops, wrong post
37.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results