shape
carat
color
clarity

Buccellati-esque find

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi folks - I found this ring and ordered it on the off chance that it was an overlooked authentic piece. Seems to be a copy or some other kind of mystery. No maker's mark, just machine-made stamps for the metal and dtw. The stone is GIA certified FWIW, I'm trying to find out more about the ring but not getting far. Any speculation on who could or would make such an elaborate replica?

0.jpg

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Found something similar online at annellino.com, they are Italian and the style is similar. You could ask if it's one of their pieces.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi folks - I found this ring and ordered it on the off chance that it was an overlooked authentic piece. Seems to be a copy or some other kind of mystery. No maker's mark, just machine-made stamps for the metal and dtw. The stone is GIA certified FWIW, I'm trying to find out more about the ring but not getting far. Any speculation on who could or would make such an elaborate replica?

0.jpg

It's funny you just posted this because I saw a piece that looked like Buccelati last night on First Dibs. It was said to have originated in Italy but to have just been made in their workshop in France. I wrote to the vendor to ask about it!

Deb/AGBF

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Gloria27
Thank you for the suggestion! I have emailed Gabriela and we'll see if I get a response. I also emailed Buccellati but looking more closely at it the honeycomb pattern seems more regular than their handmade rings. It is a dead on version of one of their more recent designs though so I wonder if they were maybe experimenting with new / more automated techniques etc. and didn't want to sign it...does that even happen?

@AGBF i thought they only had workshops in Italy....please let me know what you find out! I'm dying to know where this ring came from. You would think it would be easy to figure out since there is a GIA number. I'm going to try calling a Buccellati dealer and see if they have any suggestions but there isn't one near enough to take it in for an examination before my return period is up.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You are right, looks more like a Buccellati piece. I've just googled it.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are right, looks more like a Buccellati piece. I've just googled it.

Gabriella is the nicest...she wrote back and suggested it could be Buccellati or just a random Florentine jeweler as that's where Buccellati gets inspiration for their designs....since it's unsigned maybe the random jeweler theory is correct...but it looks so much like a recent Buccellati design. The mystery persists.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gabriella is the nicest...she wrote back and suggested it could be Buccellati or just a random Florentine jeweler as that's where Buccellati gets inspiration for their designs....since it's unsigned maybe the random jeweler theory is correct...but it looks so much like a recent Buccellati design. The mystery persists.

That is so nice of her, I believe Italians are the most refined artists and designers out there.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AGBF

i thought they only had workshops in Italy....please let me know what you find out! I'm dying to know where this ring came from. You would think it would be easy to figure out since there is a GIA number. I'm going to try calling a Buccellati dealer and see if they have any suggestions but there isn't one near enough to take it in for an examination before my return period is up.

A very nice French vendor from 1stDibs wrote back to me and apologized for an error in his listing. He said that the bracelet listed was made by them in their Italian workshop, part of their French endeavor, and was made in the Renaissance Italian manner, which Buccellati has perfected, but did not invent. (They had never mentioned Buccellati in their listing. I had noticed the resemblance to Buccellati style.)

Here is a photo of the bracelets.

FirstDibsBracelets.jpg

Deb :wavey:

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahhh that makes sense. Looks like there are several jewelers that work in that style. Thanks for letting me know!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results