shape
carat
color
clarity

Brown undertone a deal breaker?

Bling-a-ling

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Previously posted two WF ACA's I was considering and now have a side-by-side video from WF. There's a very slight brownish undertone in the stone on the right, and the WF rep said it was "yellow-brown" but wouldn't classify it as brown, and that it helped the stone face up a bit whiter. Seems pretty slight, but I've always heard a brown undertone should be avoided. If I look hard, I almost think I see the brownish tint darkening the table a bit? Think this is a deal-breaker? Link to video below. Thanks!

Last edited:

Bling-a-ling

Rough_Rock
I've watched the video so many times that I'm cross-eyed =)2 Just not sure if this undertone is significant enough to be a factor in my decision. But, point taken, since I'm ultimately the one who's eyes (and mind) needs to be happy with the choice.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I think Wink is correct. I can see the brown - particularly in the face down position - but whether you view that as a negative is up to you. I am not very familiar with brown as an undertone so probably not qualified to give anything to the question other than an opinion.

Perhaps the bigger question is if the size difference is enough to make you overlook the undertone?

Bling-a-ling

Rough_Rock
Thanks. The WF rep said that both perform the same, and the only noticeable differences are the slightly brighter color and slightly larger size (hard to believe .1 is noticeable!). Didn't know if this even has enough brown undertone to count as "brownish undertone" or make it any less of a wise choice. Didn't get the video until late Friday so still need to circle back with WF.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree w others that you need to let your eyes decide. I personally like brown undertones (but most people do not). I really dont see much brown at all, and have to try to see it, so I know it wouldnt be a factor to me, but cant speak for you.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Without looking at the reports or product pages, I saw the slight brown tint of the 2.4x diamond right away from the face-up views, then it was quite evident in the side profile views.

Bothersome? Subjective.

Would probably blend beautifully with a RG or YG setting, but I've never laid eyes on a brown tinted diamond other than some CVD LGDs a little over a year ago.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think my eyes could see it in a face up H ACA in real life, but I'm not super color sensitive and wouldn't see yellow in an ACA H color stone either. I agree, that face down it can be seen, but so can a bit of yellow tint in the other stone. I'm like @lovedogs and would actually prefer to see a slight brown undertone instead of yellow, so if you see a tint in either stone, then you'd have to go with which tint you prefer.

Bling-a-ling

Rough_Rock
This is going in a 2.2mm platinum pave band (no halo) so that's a consideration too. All great input and things to think about. Thanks!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, no help at all, all I see is wall to wall blingyness :bigsmile:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aside from personal opinion on visual perception as a deal breaker (I don’t *think* it would be for me at an H. Maybe if a K, yes. FWIW)

Do they trade as a discount with the brown tint, still?
Whether it’s ever up for an upgrade - I assume with same vendor you’d be safe in getting what their current at the time trade in policy is

But if the thought is ever there for you to upgrade elsewhere or sell outright - aside from a lot of people like the tint -
If there’s a perception still out there that alot of people don’t enjoy it, and these trade at a discount - that might not work in your favor.

Bling-a-ling

Rough_Rock
Good point Rfisher - this is from Whiteflash so should have a 100% trade up policy but in the unimaginable instance where I would sell outright, this might be an unattractive aspect to another buyer.

May not be "mind-clean" for me knowing there's a brown tint, albeit less noticeable to some.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I never stock +2ct rounds in H (unless strong blue) because I find most people in very good light can detect the hue.
As to brown vs yellow, people seem to not like brown, but its more a trade thing than an individual consumer thing. Actually I could even postulate that is is a bit racist!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ignoring the specifics of these stones for one moment, because I know trade can't comment on specific stones - question:
Does AGS follow the same colour reporting guidelines as GIA for non-yellow undertone? (Ie. What's actually printed on the report).
@Garry H (Cut Nut) @Texas Leaguer @Rockdiamond @Wink @John Pollard @Victor Canera @Karl_K

I know that AGS has a brown diamond report but I assume that starts at fancy.

1657470019807.png
*Grabbed the above diagram from Victor Canera's site: https://www.victorcanera.com/blog/diamond-color-undertones

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Ignoring the specifics of these stones for one moment, because I know trade can't comment on specific stones - question:
Does AGS follow the same colour reporting guidelines as GIA for non-yellow undertone? (Ie. What's actually printed on the report).
@Garry H (Cut Nut) @Texas Leaguer @Rockdiamond @Wink @John Pollard @Victor Canera @Karl_K

I know that AGS has a brown diamond report but I assume that starts at fancy.

1657470019807.png
*Grabbed the above diagram from Victor Canera's site: https://www.victorcanera.com/blog/diamond-color-undertones

Looks like AGS follows GIA with yellow or brown hues for their standard color scale:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like AGS follows GIA with yellow or brown hues for their standard color scale:

Thanks for that link!

So it looks like AGS’ numerics correspond to either yellow or brown, and they won’t notate which on the report itself? I’ve never seen an undertone colour notation on an AGS report but I’ve not seen all that many AGS reports. Certainly not compared to GIA.

Can someone confirm this or correct? And what does AGS do with undertones of grey, pink, blue, etc.?

Last edited:

Bling-a-ling

Rough_Rock
Thanks to all for your comments - always another angle to consider and always learn just a bit more from everyone.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for that link!

So it looks like AGS’ numerics correspond to either yellow or brown, and they won’t notate which on the report itself? I’ve never seen an undertone colour notation on an AGS report but I’ve not seen all that many AGS reports. Certainly not compared to GIA.

Can someone confirm this or correct? And what does AGS do with undertones of grey, pink, blue, etc.?

I don't believe AGS does what GIA does by reporting any undertone color on their reports for standard D-Z (or 0-10, for AGS) color scale.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've watched the video so many times that I'm cross-eyed =)2 Just not sure if this undertone is significant enough to be a factor in my decision. But, point taken, since I'm ultimately the one who's eyes (and mind) needs to be happy with the choice.

Go with your eyes. Don’t get swayed by the “mind clean” argument. Remember, in real life it won’t be sitting next to another diamond. If both of these stones were set I doubt you’d see much difference in tint, BUT you would see the difference in size!

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
If you’re questioning the stone and wondering if it would be OK, perhaps that already means that it isn’t??
A diamond is always a luxury purchase, never a necessity, so it’s best to be sure before you buy. No need to compromise, or to try and talk yourself into it.
Mind clean and all that.
Unless time is of the essence, maybe it’s best to wait till you find a diamond that leaves you no doubts. Is the diamond too brown? - only you can decide that for yourself.

APlaceForEverything

Rough_Rock
I just wanted to add from my totally non-expert opinion that my studs are what was described as 'top brown' and I would prefer brown to yellow. I think I'm colour sensitive as I can see tint in my H e-ring quite easily, but the studs just seem a bit richer in colour. Totally individual I think.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I just wanted to add from my totally non-expert opinion that my studs are what was described as 'top brown' and I would prefer brown to yellow. I think I'm colour sensitive as I can see tint in my H e-ring quite easily, but the studs just seem a bit richer in colour. Totally individual I think.

I agree

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results