shape
carat
color
clarity

Broken iolote: structural issue?

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
I ordered some iolite and topaz earrings. From a resale site
Upon arrival a piece of the iolite is broken but it appears to have chipped off the back in the setting. Is this a structural issue or are they ok?

I think the one in question is easy to spot it looks like it has bubbles B54F615E-588E-4107-AA41-E139297F4232.jpeg e one in question

Attachments

• 9652EA0F-26CA-4D49-94F0-1E16C8972DE9.jpeg
    9652EA0F-26CA-4D49-94F0-1E16C8972DE9.jpeg
    128 KB · Views: 28
  • 005D69C1-E63F-4BD4-B1E7-8F2E26F1C4F4.jpeg
    005D69C1-E63F-4BD4-B1E7-8F2E26F1C4F4.jpeg
    143.1 KB · Views: 34
  • DA4E63C1-7139-42A5-83AB-89CCB4A622AD.jpeg
    DA4E63C1-7139-42A5-83AB-89CCB4A622AD.jpeg
    122.1 KB · Views: 32
Hello there! Naturally, I haven't examined them in person, but I'd say there is a low probability that you will have a future issue with these stones. Since they are earrings, they're not likely to receive much wear from use (like a ring or bracelet). Just store them carefully. However, IMO, you shouldn't have received a damaged piece, preowned or not. The issue should definitely have been disclosed. For that reason, I personally would request a return. But if you love them, received a great price, and don't mind the existing damage, then perhaps it's worth it to keep them. They're certainly very pretty!

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
Hello there! Naturally, I haven't examined them in person, but I'd say there is a low probability that you will have a future issue with these stones. Since they are earrings, they're not likely to receive much wear from use (like a ring or bracelet). Just store them carefully. However, IMO, you shouldn't have received a damaged piece, preowned or not. The issue should definitely have been disclosed. For that reason, I personally would request a return. But if you love them, received a great price, and don't mind the existing damage, then perhaps it's worth it to keep them. They're certainly very pretty!

Thank u
I’m hoping to get a credit from the site
I know I will
I imagine they were prob cracked and broke in shipping as the broken piece was in the paper.
I’m worried about dropping them but I guess iolite could break either way even if it’s not cracked
They’re so pretty I want to keep them

It's strange to me that the pavilion of a set gem would become damaged in shipping. In that case, it must have had a prior defect which broke loose in transit. Was it well packaged? In any event, since you love the earrings so much, I think asking for a partial refund is a good way to go. :)

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
It's strange to me that the pavilion of a set gem would become damaged in shipping. In that case, it must have had a prior defect which broke loose in transit. Was it well packaged? In any event, since you love the earrings so much, I think asking for a partial refund is a good way to go. :)

I suspect it had a prior defect that broke off
Or they aren’t real iolite
I believe they are real though
They were packaged really well when I first saw it my initial thought was it had an inconspicuous crack and just jostled around, finally came loose

It was also a day late and box wasn’t in pristine condition def not rough but it had been squished a bit

It would be the cost of the replacement stone and then the labor of removing the damaged one and setting the new one (which takes about 2 minutes with a prong mounting). I don't think it would be a particularly costly repair, but it may or may not be worth it for you depending on your final price for the pair of earrings.

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
It would be the cost of the replacement stone and then the labor of removing the damaged one and setting the new one (which takes about 2 minutes with a prong mounting). I don't think it would be a particularly costly repair, but it may or may not be worth it for you depending on your final price for the pair of earrings.

Trying to negotiate the credit
Would $50 cover labor u think or what’s a going rate

Trying to negotiate the credit
Would $50 cover labor u think or what’s a going rate

I'm not exactly sure, as it will depend on the particular jeweler and where you are in the world. I actually bought a prong opening tool and a prong pusher, so I could do these simple types of jobs myself, as I was tired of paying others to do them. With regard to the iolite replacement, what size is the damaged stone (diameter)?

May I ask what you paid for the earrings? Then I can give you an opinion as to what I might request for a refund.

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
I also think they’re Pasquale Bruni earrings and the hallmark is worn off
Any thoughts

David K quoted me $550 for repair as the bezel may need work. I may have to return them

I love me some DK, but that sounds really, really high, especially now that I know the stone is only 4mm. Any local jeweler would probably be able to do it for at least half, but maybe even less. Perhaps check in with them before returning. Good luck!

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
Took them to a jeweler. He said the iolite is stable but I broke the omega back on one on accident was a little rough my fault totally….
Jeweler said fixing the iolite if I did was 40-50$ that’s more in like with what I expected. He suggested I wait till there’s an issue.

I turned them in to slider pendants and decided to keep them
Lol

0B8F43EE-71CE-4FF0-8705-0AD8CF92F394.jpeg

Soseattle

Shiny_Rock
Took them to a jeweler. He said the iolite is stable but I broke the omega back on one on accident was a little rough my fault totally….
Jeweler said fixing the iolite if I did was 40-50$ that’s more in like with what I expected. He suggested I wait till there’s an issue.

I turned them in to slider pendants and decided to keep them
Lol

0B8F43EE-71CE-4FF0-8705-0AD8CF92F394.jpeg

Those are beautiful. :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results