shape
carat
color
clarity

Broken Engagement - Best place to resell

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
Lots of people use Loupetroop. You could also look at consigning with a high profile site.

Reactions: Kya

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well, estimates are coming in low (especially from Abe Mor… surprising.) Coild anyone recommend an appraiser that does good work/may be generous with their appraisal? Thank you again

I know lots of good appraisers and I'll be happy to make a recommendation of one in your area if you'll tell me where you are, but be aware that being 'generous' with their values is probably not in your best interest. Few buyers with sense will base their price on an appraisal value statement. At best they'll be looking for grading and condition details from a supposed expert. The value conclusion will be interesting but that's about it. If they work out the price themselves and find it to be out of line, that just serves to discredit the appraisal. If the price is fiction, why believe the grades? 'Good work' and 'generous' are not compatible concepts. If you're looking for a big number, the original Tiffany paperwork will have the transaction price. Presumably, you already have that.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The way to get retail prices is to sell to friends, relatives, and others where you have a personal connection. Be warned that sometimes that's also the way to lose friends. If you want someone in the middle acting as a buffer for that and some of the other risks, expect them to want to be paid.

diamondquestion

Rough_Rock
Has anyone used ebay? One of the resellers mentioned they have 1800+ positive ebay reviews for reselling rings, but at that point, why wouldn't I just resell it there myself instead of selling at a discount so they can sell it on the same site?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Has anyone used ebay? One of the resellers mentioned they have 1800+ positive ebay reviews for reselling rings, but at that point, why wouldn't I just resell it there myself instead of selling at a discount so they can sell it on the same site?

Because you are selling a high value item as a new person and don't have a reputation. I would not spend $30k plus with someone without a track record online, even on ebay or anywhere else. Sorry to be that blunt. It's a lot of money to spend and people value a seller's reputation. I would not send a stranger, with no feedback, anything over maybe, $200. I would not spend anything I could not afford to lose.

Plus, they have way more visiblity in searchs for algorythim purposes and people save stores to look. In addition, if someone is a reseller and deals in goods of the kind that are brand name, they are going to be more trusted than a one off seller with no history.

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ebay is a very very dangerous place to sell a high value item. I would

NEVER

and I mean

NEVER EVER sell an expensive item there. ESP a diamond. I would only sell to a reputable company upfront. Do some reading about ebay scams of the buyers. Ebay does not protect the honest seller from the dishonest buyer.

diamondquestion

Rough_Rock
Ebay is a very very dangerous place to sell a high value item. I would

NEVER

and I mean

NEVER EVER sell an expensive item there. ESP a diamond. I would only sell to a reputable company upfront. Do some reading about ebay scams of the buyers. Ebay does not protect the honest seller from the dishonest buyer.

It looks like I will being going with BlueChip or another local company. It's a big haircut but there's seemingly no other way...and that being said it's really not that much less than if I sold it on a platform like eBay with their commission.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
It looks like I will being going with BlueChip or another local company. It's a big haircut but there's seemingly no other way...and that being said it's really not that much less than if I sold it on a platform like eBay with their commission.

I understand you’re frustrated. I can assure you that in my dealings with Mark he has always been fair. Yes, it’s a haircut, but I think (I hope) you’ll feel lighter when the deal is done and you can move on.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will say that at that size - I have a friend who I helped shop for an engagement ring around this time last year, and she initially wanted to just get a Tiffany ring and be done with it, at about a 1.75 ct weight, and that size was three times the cost of getting a superideal of similar specs from Whiteflash. So I wouldn't be surprised if people are offering you a quarter of what you paid.

Generally the rule with jewelry is you can sell it fast or you can sell it for higher. If you want to not take a haircut, you'll need to find somewhere really reputable that will take it on consignment and list it for close to retail, and then wait. It could take a year or more to sell. If you want it sold now, you're going to be selling it to someone who wasn't planning on buying it and therefore wants to pay very little for it.

Because presumably you have zero positive reviews for high-dollar jewelry transactions on ebay. Buyers would be very wary of buying from you and demand a far lower price for their risk.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
If you just want to sell outright without fuss, I've had a good experience twice with White Pine Diamonds / WPDiamonds. I found it to be a fair, transparent and very professional process. They used to be a partner of Blue Nile, though I think BN suggest Circa now (they didn't offer me as much).

You won't get as much as you would by privately selling or consigning, of course. It is a personal decision as to whether you are someone who can tolerate a more drawn-out selling process, or whether this outweighs the price you place on your time.

Personally private sales stress me out big time, and the risk for inexperienced sellers of high value items is huge on eBay. If I was in the US I would have possibly consigned.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You may be ready to be done with this, but there may be people on this forum who'd be interested. The appraiser who posted advice on this thread, Neil Beaty, would do an appraisal on the ring for a buyer (based on it's actual value) and could hold the ring and either do an escrow payment arrangement for you for a fee, or the buyer could pay you and then Neil could send the purchaser the ring. I am not sure how much you are being offered, but it is possible you might get more selling directly using an appraiser as an intermediary.

You'd list on loupetroop.com giving your email address and explain the ring will be in the possession of an appraiser, then post a thread on the pre-loved section of this site, send the ring to Neil, buyer pays Neil for the appraisal and shipping to them, Neil ships the ring.

I'm also curious about the specs of the diamond and size of the ring. There certainly could be people interested.

Ann's Fabulous Finds is another online vendor who sells branded jewelry and one of the ones with the least complaints that I have heard about. Did you try Oak Gem?

diamondsareagirls

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Would it be worth getting a buyout quote from Fashionphile and a consignment quote from TheRealReal? They sell quite a few Tiffany engagement rings. Fashionphile is a super easy online process to get a quote.

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
You may be ready to be done with this, but there may be people on this forum who'd be interested. The appraiser who posted advice on this thread, Neil Beaty, would do an appraisal on the ring for a buyer (based on it's actual value) and could hold the ring and either do an escrow payment arrangement for you for a fee, or the buyer could pay you and then Neil could send the purchaser the ring. I am not sure how much you are being offered, but it is possible you might get more selling directly using an appraiser as an intermediary.

You'd list on loupetroop.com giving your email address and explain the ring will be in the possession of an appraiser, then post a thread on the pre-loved section of this site, send the ring to Neil, buyer pays Neil for the appraisal and shipping to them, Neil ships the ring.

I'm also curious about the specs of the diamond and size of the ring. There certainly could be people interested.

Ann's Fabulous Finds is another online vendor who sells branded jewelry and one of the ones with the least complaints that I have heard about. Did you try Oak Gem?

OP - This is the best chance for something close to retail….

angie_1987

Rough_Rock
Trade
Do you still have it available? Is it a yellow Diamond by any chance? I’m in the market

angie_1987

Rough_Rock
Trade
It doesn't sound like Tiffany will be of much help, unfortunately. Has anyone used Worthy or 1st Dibs?

Still exploring my options.

Hi all,

Unfortunately, a year-long engagement was broken and I'm left with the ring. It is a Tiffany solitaire, 1.78 carats in immaculate condition. I'm going to try my luck with Tiffany but I don't anticipate them taking it back - even for a haircut. If that's the case, can anyone recommend another marketplace or website where I might be able to sell this and recover a decent chunk of the money spent? It was quite expensive, so my goal would be recovering as much as possible.

Thanks.

Do u still have it? I’m looking for a yellow Diamond ring Incase u have it available

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results