shape
carat
color
clarity

Broken Engagement - Best place to resell

diamondquestion

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Unfortunately, a year-long engagement was broken and I'm left with the ring. It is a Tiffany solitaire, 1.78 carats in immaculate condition. I'm going to try my luck with Tiffany but I don't anticipate them taking it back - even for a haircut. If that's the case, can anyone recommend another marketplace or website where I might be able to sell this and recover a decent chunk of the money spent? It was quite expensive, so my goal would be recovering as much as possible.

Thanks.

Diamond_Enthusiast

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

Unfortunately, a year-long engagement was broken and I'm left with the ring. It is a Tiffany solitaire, 1.78 carats in immaculate condition. I'm going to try my luck with Tiffany but I don't anticipate them taking it back - even for a haircut. If that's the case, can anyone recommend another marketplace or website where I might be able to sell this and recover a decent chunk of the money spent? It was quite expensive, so my goal would be recovering as much as possible.

Thanks.

Sorry to hear that things didn't work out.

I have not personally used them but Abe Mor seems to get good reviews for reselling to: https://abemor.com/

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd definitely check with Tiffany to see if they can help you in any way. You are going to take a big hit otherwise, unfortunately.

I wouldn't choose an antique ring dealer to consign a modern branded ring, but Jewels by Grace does sell sell some modern rings, too. So I'd try her first for consignment (that can take a long time, sometimes). You could also contact Oak Gem and see what they'd pay you for it. They carry branded second hand pieces.

There's also a site called idonowIdont.com and you can list it there yourself. I'd imagine the commission is lower, but you'd need an independent appraiser such as Neil Beaty to act as intermediary to protect you and the buyer. He holds the ring, does an appraisal for the buyer, then buyer either sends you a wire or sends the funds to Neil for escrow (for a fee), and once payment is confirmed, Neil sends the ring to the buyer. https://americangemregistry.com/

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry it didn't work out for you.

This thread has some ebay vendors that do consignment as well.

FWIW, I would do some research on I Do, No I Don't. They have had issues in the past with selling items and never actually paying the seller.

Another option is TheRealReal and they carry a lot of branded items.

I don't have experience with them, but Wilson's Estate has a big online presence and sells a good bit of Tiffany as well, in addition to other well known branded jewelry.

prettypaper01

Shiny_Rock
I am so sorry to hear - I hope you are doing ok! These are all great suggestions - I am in the same situation (although upgrading) and looking for safe ways to sell. TBH ebay / Loupe Troupe / Diamond Bistro all scare me as I have experienced too many scammers on ebay and poshmark.

FYI Jewels By Grace will only take MBRs that are graded GIA XXX or Super Ideal, ACA etc. She says even those don't move vs. antique cuts :( I have had a heck of a time since my stone is O-P light yellow - many places cut off at J or K).

I tried CIRCA and they offered me $1,500 - $2K which is laughable at best. Mine was appraised at $11,250 (although I am not even expecting half of that, but 2K?!?!?).

Diamond Buyers is ignoring my calls / emails so I assume they aren't interested.

The plus for resale is you have a popular branded piece, resellers would be much more interested than if not. If I have any luck I will check in and share. Hoping we can both find somewhere safe and reputable :) Fingers crossed...

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Sorry for your broken engagement.

Beladora another option.

cheers--Sharon

MiniMinerva

Shiny_Rock
Hugs to you at a difficult time. I‘m guessing you might want to recover more than this, but when I’ve sold Tiffany pieces to Fashionphile they have offered 65-70% of the retail price. They buy outright using a relatively painless process, so I mention them here in case that might have some value in and of itself.

prettypaper01

Shiny_Rock
Hugs to you at a difficult time. I‘m guessing you might want to recover more than this, but when I’ve sold Tiffany pieces to Fashionphile they have offered 65-70% of the retail price. They buy outright using a relatively painless process, so I mention them here in case that might have some value in and of itself.

WOW 65-70% is amazing!!! Also, I love FP. I have sold / purchased many bags from them :) OP this is a great suggestion!

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have to sell it, would you be comfortable turning into a pendant? There are wonderful setting ideas, using colored gemstones to create novel designs. Wishing you an ever so bright future ❤️

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry to hear your sad news. It must be very stressful for you.

Would it be cheeky of me to ask you to post the details of your ring & some pictures? I am currently in the market for this exzct ring around the carat weight that you have. The only snag might be that I'm presuming you're in the US & I'm in the UK, so the import tax & customs might be tricky & expensive.

diamondquestion

Rough_Rock
It doesn't sound like Tiffany will be of much help, unfortunately. Has anyone used Worthy or 1st Dibs?

Still exploring my options.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
First, I am sorry for your broken engagement.

I assume the ring was bought by your former fiancé. You did not get married. Why not give the ring back to him? He did buy it and some may argue it does not belong to you because the two of you did not fulfill the obligation to get married. Had you gotten married and the marriage ended, the ring was a completed gift to you.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First, I am sorry for your broken engagement.

I assume the ring was bought by your former fiancé. You did not get married. Why not give the ring back to him? He did buy it and some may argue it does not belong to you because the two of you did not fulfill the obligation to get married. Had you gotten married and the marriage ended, the ring was a completed gift to you.

@WillyDiamond - you're assuming the poster is the receiver of the ring. The OP might actually be the person who purchased the ring, which seems more likely the case.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
I have dealt with Mark Novak at Blue Chip many times - they specialize in preowned Tiffany. I’d reach out to him for an offer if you have all the paperwork and the Tiffany box. He will probably be interested.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Tiffany charges quite a bit for their brand name and that premium doesn’t translate well into the secondary market, especially if you’re selling to dealers. The bright side is that most of their things are well described and documented. Use the database here and look up comparable stones. You didn’t include shape, clarity, and color, but here’s a sample search for 1.75-1.85 G/VS1/RBC. That’s pretty typical Tiffany faire but adjust it to match what your stone really is. Set your expectations from a dealer at about half of that. Maybe a little more if you've got all the original Tiffany paperwork and packaging. The mounting will not add all that much, even though you paid a lot. You’ll get more than scrap metal because it’s Tiffany, which is more than most private sellers can say, but what you paid is irrelevant.

https://www.pricescope.com/diamonds...eview=24&adv=false&days=100&fo=0&cert_number=

Diamond_Enthusiast

Shiny_Rock
It doesn't sound like Tiffany will be of much help, unfortunately. Has anyone used Worthy or 1st Dibs?

Still exploring my options.

Have you tried Abe Mor? There is a recently updated review comparing of the prices of selling a 0.5ct Tiffany ring including through Worthy and Abe Mor came out better in the example:

This site also did a review of Worthy:

For reference, I have not used either before. Included the reviews above as you may find the details useful.

diamondquestion

Rough_Rock
Have you tried Abe Mor? There is a recently updated review comparing of the prices of selling a 0.5ct Tiffany ring including through Worthy and Abe Mor came out better in the example:

This site also did a review of Worthy:

For reference, I have not used either before. Included the reviews above as you may find the details useful.

I asked for quotes from alot of third parties (abe mor, worthy, truvalu, etc.) Does anyone have a link to the bluechip site? I can't seem to find it. Thanks again, all.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I asked for quotes from alot of third parties (abe mor, worthy, truvalu, etc.) Does anyone have a link to the bluechip site? I can't seem to find it. Thanks again, all.

diamondsareagirls

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I guess it's taboo to just wait for the next girl? Lol.

What about any friends that may be getting engaged soon? Maybe they would like a discount (less than a consignment shop) on a Tiffany ring from someone they trust and also can see the ring first?

I am sorry it didn't work out.

diamondquestion

Rough_Rock
Well, estimates are coming in low (especially from Abe Mor… surprising.) Coild anyone recommend an appraiser that does good work/may be generous with their appraisal? Thank you again

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Try wpdiamonds.com They also buy preowned branded pieces.

diamondquestion

Rough_Rock
Try wpdiamonds.com They also buy preowned branded pieces.

Waiting to hear from them. I feel like a FMV appraisal would be slightly higher than reselling to someone like Abe More so looking to maybe do one just to see how they compare. If anyone can recommend a generous appraiser I would appreciate it! I’d like to know FMV anyway to be honest.

diamondquestion

Rough_Rock
And if I wanted to try selling this ring on my own and not to a third party, what are some websites worth trying? Ideally, something with a lot of visibility. I will also cross-post in the classified section. Going to get an appraisal so I know what my ballpark should be.

thanks again everyone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results