shape
carat
color
clarity

Broadcasting the wedding live via the net--need help with camcorder

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cupcake*Muffin

Shiny_Rock
Since we are having a DW and quite a few friends and family cannot make it to the nuptials, I was thinking about broadcasting the ceremony and parts of the reception live. I have already done the research and there are a few sites that will host the event for free and provide us with a private login and password. With family in Taiwan this would be a great way for them to be there without being there. Now I am just wondering about the camcorder options. I was hoping that some of the ladies on here have had experience with some of these and can give me their opinions on them.

First, the 120minute Flip, I''m a little worried that with 120 minutes its really limited. But good reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/Flip-UltraHD-Camcorder-Minutes-White/dp/B0023B14TU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1270311049&sr=1-2

Option 2 The Playsport which is waterproof and expandable, was thinking this would be great for the honeymoon too, up to 10 hours record time:
http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-PlaySport-Waterproof-Pocket-Camera/dp/B0030MITDK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1270311049&sr=1-5

Option 3, expandable and great reviews. Can film up to 10 hours with the right SD card:
http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-Pocket-Video-Camera-Black/dp/B002HOPUPC/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1270311049&sr=1-8

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
hey, cupcake. i don''t know anything about those camcorders but wanted to give you a *BUMP*!

maybe try posting this in hangout.

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
what a great idea! i think i might want to do this as well, so another *bump* to get more ideas!!

- also i will get my dad on this task (he is a geek) so in about a week i should have an answer!

havernell

Brilliant_Rock
This is a bit off-topic, but I thought I''d throw the idea out there anyway.

My husband''s grandmother ended up not being able to make it to our wedding because of health reasons. So, we got mobile broadband service on our laptop for a week and then had his grandmother (and aunt who stayed behind with her) use Skype to watch our ceremony live (one of my husband''s cousins held the computer on his lap in the first row of the church). I think you can do Skype conference calls, so perhaps you could have multiple people watch at once (I''m not sure how video works with conference calls, so you''d have to look into it).

Anyway, that''s just one idea in case your camcorder/internet site plan doesn''t work out. Good luck with your plan- it really made us and my husband''s grandmother happy that she was still "there" even though she wasn''t in the room with us.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
We had a DW and wanted to do the same thing initially but decided against it for a few reasons. Mainly, things never go to plan!!!!!

Sure those packages look great on the net, but you have to remember that when you stream the video (ie. it goes on the net live) there are several factors that will influence how the final product looks. ie. the quality of your connection on your end, the other end (who is watching it) how fast the connection, the speed of their computer etc etc. Have you ever watched youtube on a slow connection? It pauses and is fragmented etc, and the words are not easily to hear.

To get around this idea, we uploaded our video an hour after the ceremony to a file sharing site. Basically, we had a video camera rolling and after we were married, a friend too it back to their room, plugged it into the net and uploaded it. We then send an email (all drafted and planned before of course) to our friends and posted the linky on FB, and our friends and family could simply download the video and watch it from their computer. That way the quality will be much better than if you had it streamed live.

I know it''s not exactly the same as having it in real time, and I was initially disappointed as I wanted people to watch it as we did it kind of thing, but in the end, everyone got to see a much better quality video without drop outs etc.

If you have more questions, just let me know. I am happy to get DH on here to explain a little more about how we did it. Oh, and it''s free!!! We only paid for the broadband access (we linked the laptop to DH''s phone), it was super cheap. The file sharing site is free too, so you don''t need to pay a fortune!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results