shape
carat
color
clarity

Brilliant cut diamond with an open culet?

Rosiedovepink

Rough_Rock
Hopefully this is in the correct thread. My lovely husband bought me this vintage ring for Christmas. It was put together in the 70s but the diamond had been purchased in the 60s. Or atleast that's what I was told. It appears the woman who made it had worked for a jeweler and was able to pick this diamond out from them. It was appraised to be a pear brillant but I didn't know they could be cut with an open culet. It definitely sparkles like a brillant cut but this threw me off when I saw the center. I am now curious if this is a common thing about pears that I didn't know.
I'm also very interested to hear about, in general, if this is something to do with cutting techniques or if maybe this stone could be slightly older than she knew. Thank you for all insights .

Smith3

Shiny_Rock
@Rosiedovepink i would post this question on the Rocky talky it gets more traffic

Lakefront

Shiny_Rock
It isn’t common for a modern cut to have an open culet but given the age of the stone it could be that the point was chipped and polished flat creating an open culet.
Or it was the cut that was the best option for the rough…
Hard to say but I like it!

Rosiedovepink

Rough_Rock
I have a lovely pear brilliant with an open culet, old Tiffany pendant. They did used to cut pears this way. 4BC29A32-D44E-42FE-A6FF-F4031DDB0533.jpeg

Oh wow that's incredible gorgeous! Do you mind me asking when this might have been made? I love how it looks like a water droplet on a window

Rosiedovepink

Rough_Rock
It isn’t common for a modern cut to have an open culet but given the age of the stone it could be that the point was chipped and polished flat creating an open culet.
Or it was the cut that was the best option for the rough…
Hard to say but I like it!

I did wonder about it being chipped. It's flat when you look at it from the side but like you said it could have been polished. It has a small chip on top that looks like it had been hit but it's small. That's interesting I didn't realize that it might have just been an option they considered in the rough. I had read that pears especially can vary alot in cutting practices. Thats nice of you to say , thank you so much for replying!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results