shape
carat
color
clarity

Brillance and fire

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
I have noticed in the diamond tutorials, they mention that you can have two ''types of ideal cuts'' - one is cut better for brilliance and one better for fire, and that this depends on the crown and pavillion angles. When looking for an AGS00 stone, what are the ideal crown and pavillion angles I should be looking for, or should I decide based on table and depth percentages, OR am I just nitpicking and an ideal cut will be fantastic either way?! Thanks!

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
i think the best way..is to use the HCA (holloway cut adviser) on here and plug the cut data into that, and see if the score comes out under 2. also look at ideal scope and ASET images to ensure good light return.

all these tools are for rejection of bad stones... rather than picking ''the one'' they can all help, but dont fall into the trap of over analysing say is a 0.5 a better score than 1.5... when the only criterior is to be under 2.

cutting for more fire and for brilliance within the AGS 0 cut grade is going to be subtle, and really go with one that speaks to you (and yes they can through a web page.)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/17/2007 8:00:00 AM
Author:honey22
I have noticed in the diamond tutorials, they mention that you can have two 'types of ideal cuts' - one is cut better for brilliance and one better for fire, and that this depends on the crown and pavillion angles. When looking for an AGS00 stone, what are the ideal crown and pavillion angles I should be looking for, or should I decide based on table and depth percentages, OR am I just nitpicking and an ideal cut will be fantastic either way?! Thanks!
The Firey Ideal Cut or FIC as it is known as around here is considered desirable for those who want more fire, this is dependant on a steeper crown angle along with desirable pavillion, you can find the best stats for these with a search. A BIC or brilliant ideal cut lends itself to more brilliance - you can search for more info. An AGS0 is usually a great performer and should get you a lovely diamond along with a confirmatory Idealscope and HCA below 2 is useful also.

This thread may be helpful along with others you can find in a search regarding FIC, BIC and TIC ( Tolkowsky Ideal Cut)

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/bic-tic-or-fic-how-can-a-layperson-eyeball-the-difference.31122/

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results