shape
carat
color
clarity

Bridesmaids Gifts Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
I know this topic has been done a ton of times. I did even browse through the other threads but still having a hard time w/BM gifts and actually, gifts for all of the wedding party. I am pretty positive that I don''''t want to do jewelry. I like the idea of doing 2-3 smaller things and making a basket. I was also planning on doing a bridesmaid bag (similar to OOT bags) w/chocolates, cheese/crackers, water, etc... for the wedding day so I thought I could incorporate it all together.
My thoughts were a pashmina, engraved compact, robe .. that''''s all I have so far and I''''m not sure how I feel about any of them. Each of my bm''''s are pretty different so I want to get something they''''ll all like and use. Is it weird to give a pashmina or some type of wrap for a summer wedding. Although I''''m really not giving it to wear at the wedding, I wouldn''''t want them to feel it''''s an odd gift.

Any other non-jewelry ideas?

Also, any ideas for non-typical groomsman ideas or flower girl/ring bearer gifts would be appreciated. I''''m probably being too picky but it''''s always important to me to get gifts that I''''m sure the person will like so w/so many people, it''''s driving me a little crazy!!

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
I just have gotten my BM gifts, and FI's for his GMs came in the mail today.

For my bridesmaids I got several different things that they will like that remind me of our experiences together:

1. Wine glasses with their names etched on them in pretty scripty writing. They are all pretty into wine and are of the opinion that you can never have too many spare wine glasses.

2. (bear with me on this one) Victoria's Secret Angels no-show black scalloped edge panties with an ivory flower on them. They match the bridesmaid dresses, which I figure my girls will think is amusing. It sounds overly girly/very sorority, I know, but my girls will think matching is fun (even nostalgic).

3. 60 hour glass jar Ambient scented candles from Archipelago Botanicals. They all LOVE the scent. We have inside jokes pertaining to the candles as well.

5. In stead of gift bags, I found tote bags that can double as beach bags to wrap everything in (my meager attempt at being environmentally friendly) They were like $4 each. They are black with green, pink, and white circles. This is the only thing I wasn't 100% sure they would use because they probably have lots of beach bags. But they can always use it as gift wrapping for someone else if they want. I won't be offended.

For the Flower Girl, we got a necklace with 3 pearls on it and made her a Build a Bear bride bear.

The groomsmen are getting black Zippo lighters with their names engraved on a silver plate. None of them smoke, but all of them like building bon fires/fires in REAL fire places/camping/whatever else it is that boys do that requires fire.

They are also getting silver, engraved harmonicas because all of them are quite fond of music and will think it is fun/funny. The Harmonicas were supposed to be ring bearer gifts according to the website, but my FI thought they were perfect.

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
I went by this philosophy: if I were one of my bridesmaids, what would I want as a gift?

We are older (late 20s), and the matching jewelry or robes or monogrammed tote bags have kind of lost their appeal for those of us who've been in previous weddings. Plus I HATE giving gifts that look nice, but never really get used. And everyone has unique tastes, so we ended up getting Tiffany's gift certificates (actually they were "gift coins"... heavy gold coins that come in a blue bag, very cute) and everyone loved them. They all spent weeks deciding what to get, and now when they wear their purchases, it makes me happy to think that they're a reminder of the fun time we all shared at my wedding.

Actually, one of my friends is getting married in a few weeks, and my other friend and I have our fingers crossed that she'll do that kind of GC also!!
2.gif

Oh, and for the guys, DH got bar signs painted with their last names (Smiths' Tavern, etc.) and golf shirts from our CC monogrammed with their initials (non-matching, obviously, since they're guys and that's not really their "thing"... haha). They all seemed to like them a lot and I've seen them wearing the golf shirts, so I know those were a useful purchase, at least!

happilyeverafter

Shiny_Rock
This may seem a bit tacky to some, but i''m definitely one who prefers choice or experience over an actual gift. I would give things such as gift certificates to a great restaurant or store (eph''s suggestion of Tiffany''s is great!), or maybe for a massage/wrap/etc at the spa. There are endless possibilities and they are very customizable to each bridesmaid.

I must admit, there are some really cool gifts out there though. I LOVE fancy''s underwear idea!
21.gif
Anything that''s USEABLE is great!

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Fancy, Eph and HappilyEverAfter, Thanks for the gift ideas!

Fancy, I love how you were able to incorporate things from your past experiences w/your bm''s that they will all like. I guess part of my problem is that I know each of my bm''s from completely different periods in my life and they are all different so it''s hard to get more personal things that would be meaningful to each (since I want to get the same for each).

Eph, I wish something like the Tiffany''s certificate would work for my bm''s but I don''t think they''d ever use it (well, at least not all of them). I would if I got one
2.gif
but some just aren''t into that sort of thing and realistically, it''s probably a bit out of my budget.

Happily, I don''t think it''s tacky to get gift certificates but it''s just not my thing. Also, 3 live out of town so it would be challenging to find stores that are available everywhere. Although I would do a massage if I could afford it b/c I''m sure they''d all appreciate that.

Something else I saw when searching around the other day were photo coasters. I thought that was neat and I could personalize them by including pics of them that are in my collection. But I just happened to include a set of coasters as part of MOH''s bday gift the other day so it seems a bit duplicative.
Who knew this would be so hard???

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/5/2007 12:00:14 AM
Author: dixie94

Fancy, I love how you were able to incorporate things from your past experiences w/your bm''s that they will all like. I guess part of my problem is that I know each of my bm''s from completely different periods in my life and they are all different so it''s hard to get more personal things that would be meaningful to each (since I want to get the same for each).

Mine are from dif. periods of my life as well. I am Lucky in that I can kinda find ways to relate these things to all of them ESPECIALLY the pretty panties because I KNOW I have taken every single one of them on a "lingerie shopping therapy trip" at one time or another (It''s amazing how buying a few sexy little things can help you get over your worries).

Is there anything that relates to all of your girls but in different ways?

Also, have they been in many weddings? If not, they may totally LOVE the robe idea because it will be new to them.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dixie, I''ve been racking my brain trying to think of ideas for you to give your BM''s. i gave my three gals totally different things that still related to jewelery or were jewelry: my MOH got a Tiffany bookmark because she loves to read; my SIL(BM) got a wide s/s cuff bracelet that she picked out with me the weekend before the wedding; and my college roommate (BM) got a gorgeous Swarovski crystal embellished heart shaped jewelry box because she loves all things sparkly. That was the best I could do, I wish I would''ve put more thought into it before hand.

I think what I really would''ve like to do was compose a nice note to each of them on beautiful stationery stating why I''d chosen them for BM''s and what they meant to me in life. You seem to be pretty good at expressing your feelings online, maybe you could include a heartfelt letter to each of your gals in their basket? that would be really meaningful and I would think, something they''d cherish forever.

Aside from all the sentimental stuff, I think the photo coasters you mentioned are a good idea if you want to get them all the same thing but personalize them. Coasters are something every household needs, and long after your wedding they could put different photos in them if they wanted.
36.gif
You''re an awfully nice bride to be thinking so much about your BM''s gifts, kudos!
36.gif

labbielove

Brilliant_Rock
I second the idea of a personalized note- how meaningful, and something I would love to receive as a bm and friend.

Along those same lines, maybe you could accompany that with a nicely framed photo of you w/each BM- or a tiny scrapbook with photos,etc. One thing I did for a dear friend''s 40th was get a dual photo frame- one side was a photo of us from 9th grade at a toga party, and the other was a photo of us from her 40th- you could do something similar- and leave one side blank to hold a photo of you w/that bm on your wedding day, or make sure you get one with each of them at your shower, etc.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Fancy, I'm sure there are things that relate to each of my bm's, I just wish I could think of them! I think some have been in many weddings and others not so I don't want to do something too overdone. Nor do I want to give them something they already have.

Monarch, thanks for thinking of me! I like the idea of composing each a nice letter. I better start that soon though b/c I think I'll write and re-write over and over again. Thanks for the idea!

Labbie, I like the idea of the dual picture frames, and I might incorporate that into the basket. That's assuming I do a basket. I'm so scattered about this!

Actually, the last few days, I've gone to thinking about jewelry. I'm torn b/c I know a couple of bm's would rarely wear fancier earrings so I wonder if it makes sense. But then, it's something they could keep forever and to me, I'd cherish that more than a wrap or robe or whatever. But on the other hand, that's my opinion and I LOVE jewelry and would definitely wear that type of earrings.

Clearly I'm over-thinking this!

Thanks for all the ideas!

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
You''re not overthinking this at all. In fact, if I were one of your BMs and were privy to your posts here on PS, your "overthinking" would feel APART of my gift :)

I feel your hesitation on the jewelry front. It seems very been-there-done-that. For us, our budget it very tight so we really had to limit ourselves, too. It''s hard. And I don''t post this today with much else to offer in the way of fresh ideas. You know I got my women the trinket box w/thier monogram and Friends quote on it. But a box BEGS to be filled and I want to..........with something small but meaningful. But what that is I do not know.

Sorry not helpful, but I wanted to let you know that I feel your "pain"!!! It probably helps to keep reading what others are doing, though (goes to do a search for bridesmaid gift threads)...............

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Always a bridesmaid, never the bride...

Speaking from 11, yes, I did say 11, weddings of bridesmaid and maid of honor experience, all I can say is that it is so very nice how thoughtful you are and how much effort you are putting into your gifts for your girls. Out of the 11 weddings I have had the privilege to be in, I think I''ve gotten monogrammed slippers and bags, wine glasses, jewelry, picture frames, etc... One bride took us to get our makeup done the day of the wedding and another to get a pedicure the day before, which was wonderful.

I know you were hesitant about giving your girls jewelry...I have also received a matching beaded jewelry set that went with the wedding colors of my friend''s wedding, which she paid through the nose for, unfortunately. What''s funny is that I make and sell my own beaded jewelry and had offered to make the wedding party''s jewelry as part of my wedding gift to her. Apparently, she had already started the process with another gal down in S. CA and couldn''t cancel it. She spent about an arm and a leg, and the jewelry is, um, well, not very attractive IMO...somehow chunky tiger''s eye beads just don''t say "formal wedding" to me, but brown is a hard bead color to find, I''ll admit.

I did make sets for another friends wedding I was in using all Swarovski crystals and sterling silver beads...they were very delicate and flattering to all of the girls-a blonde, a redhead & a brunette who couldn''t be more different if they tried! If you are at all crafty, you might consider heading to your local bead or craft store and making them a necklace/bracelet/earring set to wear at the wedding (guaranteeing they all match, as well), and it will be something they can wear for many years to come and think of your wedding day. Even though I made my own set as a BM in that wedding, I still think of my friend''s special day every time I wear the pieces. Just something to think about...hope that helps! I can post pictures of the kinds of pieces I''m talking about if you need some inspiration.

Good luck!

Harleigh

havernell

Brilliant_Rock
I just recently read on another forum (probably the knot but I don''t recall exactly) that someone was getting her BMs nice picnic baskets that have real plates, glasses and silverware strapped inside. I thought that was a unique idea that anyone can use (who doesn''t like a picnic now and then?) Here''s a photo of what I''m talking about in case I''m not being clear.

picnic basket.jpg

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
So Happy, thanks for your thoughts! Guess what, after all that, I decided to go w/jewelry. I''ve recently learned that talking about certain jewelry is prohibited on this site so I can''t go into details but I found a site that I like and am getting everyone a slightly different pair of earrings. I would feel the same as you, wanting to fill that box! But resist the temptation! Or you could get a very simple pair of earrings, like from a bead store or that type of thing so that you''re not spending a huge amount. Sorry, clearly I''m not helping!!

Harleigh, that''s a great idea. Actually, I do make jewelry here and there and thought about making something but I wanted something that I knew I couldn''t really make, a different style than the beaded earrings I''m familiar with. I really didn''t think I could afford anything I like enough but have found things I''m happy with. Thank you though for your suggestions!

Havernell, I love that basket. I went ahead and decided on jewelry but I am definitely keeping that picnic basket as a future bday gift. Great idea, thanks!

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Hi Dixie!

I go my BMs jewelry for the wedding, but I just got them, as shower presents, this runaway bridesmaid bath set from bath and body works. It''s a set of 3 3-in-1''s packaged in teh cutest box and it''s all wedding related.

We''re getting our groomsmen and huppah holders these: http://www.hammacher.com/publish/72707.asp?source=Giftscom&keyword=72707&cm_ven=NewGate&cm_cat=Giftscom&cm_pla=PERSONAL%20CARE&cm_ite=72707 along with swiss army knife type things.

We got our flower girls bride barbies and for the ring bearers, we got them this transformers helmet that is also a voice changer (I''m so excited to give this to them!).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results