shape
carat
color
clarity

Bridesmaid hair--tipping question

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
Hi ladies,

My mom has generously offered to pay for a hairdresser to come to our hotel the morning of the wedding and do all the girls' hair. She is making all the arrangements and paying for all the updos and blowouts. I've already told the bridesmaids that my mom is arranging and paying for this, and they were grateful. But my mom mentioned today that since she is paying for hair, she would like to ask each bridesmaid to pay her own tip. I am not certain I like this idea. My feeling is that if someone tells me he/she is paying for my hair, I kind of expect everything to be covered, including the tip. But on the other hand, it's a small amount compared to what my mom is spending to have everyone's hair done, and they might not might paying a tip in exchange for a free hairdo. I don't want to ask my mom to contribute any more than she already has, so I'll offer to pay the tip myself if it's an issue.

What do you think: is it appropriate to ask the bridesmaids to pay their tips?

I should add that there is no required hairstyle, and the girls do not have to get their hair done if they do not want to. This is just something we wanted to offer them as a wedding day treat. Is it less of a treat if they have to pay the tip?

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
I find it odd that your mom doesn't want to pay the tip...that's like offering to take someone out to dinner, but expecting them to still tip the waitress on their portion of the bill.

If my mom put me in that position, I'd probably do the same thing you've set yourself on: just pay the tip myself and not even fuss about it to the bridesmaids. It's a small enough issue and I'd just rather not rock the boat, yanno?

I'm just seriously flummoxed by this whole situation.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto VC above.

I'd pay the tip myself and not mention it to your girls. That way, they'll feel treated and pampered and you won't have to deal with the awkwardness of asking them each to tip.

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks vc10um and violet3! I think I agree with you. I'm imagining myself as a bridesmaid, showing up to get my hair done after being told it will be paid for. I honestly don't even think I would bring enough cash with me to tip. It just would never occur to me that I should. So I think I will just make sure I have enough on me to tip for all the girls and leave it at that. I don't want to make a big issue of it with my mom, because she is already being so generous. I think she just doesn't quite know the etiquette here, and I don't want to make her feel bad.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course you wouldn't want your mom to feel badly, especially after such a generous gift! I've worked in the service industry (i.e. tipping) forever, but so many people haven't had the same experience - for that reason, I would just avoid the awkwardness and that way all your maids will be so grateful to your mom for such a nice treat!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results